OCCRA
Go to Post Build tough and come to play. - JaneYoung [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
  #541   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 12:43 AM
FRC #0533

RyanReneRobot is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2011 Game Hint #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by andgordo558 View Post
OMG! An locomotive track over a huge pool, but that wouldn't allow teams to move as freely... hoever "Locomotion" seems like a great name for the game. Teams being forced to make chains seems great, but different teams might have different ideas on how to hook up to other robots. Unless FIRST regulates the ways you can hook up, it won't be very creative. I looked up the invention of the locomotive (1781) so IDK if 229 or 230 means anything. I LOVE this time of year!

Where is this water idea coming from that everyone is speaking about? I've read this whole thread &I dont understand why everyone believes that this may be a water game..
  #542   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Caffeine Addic..um..Afficionado
FRC #2159 (RoboPirates)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
Randy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch1373 View Post
wouldn't it have to be 0 though? the commutative property of addition...

infinity - infinity = infinity...
-infinity + infinity = -infinity... right?
I think infinity minus infinity is undefined. You can add and multiply (the result is still inifinity) but not subtract or divide. So (somebody correct me if I'm wrong):

inf + inf = inf
(-inf) + (-inf) = -(inf + inf) = -inf
inf x inf = inf
(-inf) x (-inf) = (-1 x -1)(inf x inf) = inf

inf - inf => undefined
inf/inf => undefined

Weird, but infinity is not actually a number, but a concept of increase beyond bounds.

Last edited by Randy Picolet : 12-25-2010 at 03:10 AM.
  #543   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 12:57 AM
Caffeine Addic..um..Afficionado
FRC #2159 (RoboPirates)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2007
Randy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud ofRandy Picolet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanReneRobot View Post
Where is this water idea coming from that everyone is speaking about? I've read this whole thread &I dont understand why everyone believes that this may be a water game..
It's an old running gag on game hint threads; it will never happen (for safety and cost reasons). Some folks just like to figure out extremely circuitous/nebulous paths to that conclusion. Like everythiong else here, you can read 'em, join 'em, or ignore 'em. Sometimes they are fairly creative...
  #544   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 01:03 AM
Boiler up!
AKA: Dustin Shadbolt
FRC #1555 (Team PULSE)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Dustin Shadbolt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Dustin Shadbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanReneRobot View Post
Just an old tradition on CD.
  #545   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 01:17 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Back in the day, there was speculation that there would be water. It is possible to run an FRC robot on a soaking wet field.

However, it is logistically impossible, so it's now just a joke.

As for infinity minus infinity:
1) The origination of this hint was a suggestion that trapping Billfred in a certain field area was worth negative infinity. It isn't, it's worth a caption contest. (JVN is a caption contest and negative infinity.)
2) Depending on how you think of infinity, you could come up with zero (I have an infinite number of robots, and I give you all of them), infinity (I give you half of that number of robots), or a number (I give you all but X finite number of robots). Because there are 3 different answers to the same problem, it is not defined. (And I suppose that you could come up with similar situations to have it be negative.)
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #546   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 03:24 AM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I love it when someone tells me I can't do something.

"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #547   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 03:49 AM
AKA: Kunal Marwaha
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2009
marwahaha is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to marwahaha

I know this is late, and most people have gone, but here are some more thoughts...

I like the EVA extra-vehicular activity. but particularly this link:
(From wikipedia)
Quote:
The first (and only) three-person EVA was performed on May 13, 1992, as the third EVA of STS-49, the maiden flight of Endeavour.[5] Pierre Thuot, Richard Hieb, and Thomas Akers conducted the EVA to hand-capture and repair a non-functional Intelsat VI-F3 satellite. See photo at right.
1992 was the maiden year for FIRST.
also, in the 1992 EVA there were 3 "people" to repair something, working together.... similar to 3 "machines" to do something, working together in an alliance.

Like...coopertition! an idea FIRST has been particularly pushing these past couple of years. And we've had 3-person alliances for a while now.

So maybe the three alliance members are working together to grab or build something or lift each other up, racing the other alliance? This would be non-contact and a serious focus on coopertition and working together.

In addition, pillars could be holding something up, that the goal is to reach or attach an object upon the pillars, working together with your alliance? I like the idea of a second-story but am unsure how it could be truly practical. possibly like the ball-return towers of Breakaway?

Also: if locomotion and 1992 are important, then why not have the field covered in tennis balls? similar to the 1992 game of maize craze. that way, we would tie in the idea of a new "bumpy" playing field for new drive techniques, while working on top of the tennis balls to create something new.

AND: Maize craze was played with a layer of corn as the playing field. A non-smooth playing field has been built before, and having one this year would be yet another reference to the past.

So...idea for a game name? To tie in all of the concepts, i like "Working Upward" or "Building Up" or "Reaching Skyward" or something like that. In 1992 we had to herd the tennis balls, now we work on top, building upon past ideas and innovations.

but another idea for a game name: Smoke and Mirrors.
why? because it sounds cool, and locomotion-->trains-->smoke...and mirrors because the picture is flipped. maybe mirrors has something to do with the task each alliance would receive, like positioning mirrors to point lasers or see the other alliance over a wall...

This will be an interesting game. We will have fun this year
  #548   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 09:07 AM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Picolet View Post
It's an old running gag on game hint threads; it will never happen (for safety and cost reasons).
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
Back in the day, there was speculation that there would be water. It is possible to run an FRC robot on a soaking wet field.

Wait, what, a joke?

PS don't poke the bear!

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #549   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 09:55 AM
no team

nil_lp is an unknown quantity at this point

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loco-Motion_(arcade_game)

thoughts?
  #550   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 10:04 AM
FRC #1379 (GearDevils)

alicen is a jewel in the roughalicen is a jewel in the roughalicen is a jewel in the roughalicen is a jewel in the rough

I think I've read several times now the suggestion of the entire field being covered in tennis balls to create an uneven terrain (referencing to Maize Craze and "Loco-motion"). Personally, I don't see this as much of an option because there are so many rules implemented for the safety of volunteers and competitors alike.

Remember last year, how you could not walk across the bump carrying your robot? Now imagine a floor covered in tennis balls that you've decided to walk around on for fun. Add 150 pounds of robot and it's a recipe for disaster and hospitals. I realize that some people might try to refute this argument and say they'll add the tennis balls after all the robots are on the field, but logistics of picking up and depositing THAT many tennis balls is insane. The turn over rate for matches would go from 5 minutes to 30. And in the past couple years, the push for more matches (meaning lower turn over rates) has been obvious.

Personally, I think the game is going to be called Locomotion, the game pieces will not be round (the last students to see non-spherical game pieces have now all graduated, or at least are supposed to), and autonomous will have more importance*.

*Every year there is one aspect of the game that is weaker than the others. Human Player for Overdrive for example. I think that based on opinions gathered at regionals and Championships and after, the GDC tries to improve on that aspect to make a more well-rounded game. This is why I think autonomous will gain a lot of importance this year.
2011 Judges Award Winners at Peachtree Regional
  #551   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Boiler up!
AKA: Dustin Shadbolt
FRC #1555 (Team PULSE)
Team Role: Alumni

Dustin Shadbolt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Dustin Shadbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post

#552   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 01:05 PM
FRC #2081 (Icarus)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2008
BIGWILLI2081 is a glorious beacon of lightBIGWILLI2081 is a glorious beacon of lightBIGWILLI2081 is a glorious beacon of lightBIGWILLI2081 is a glorious beacon of lightBIGWILLI2081 is a glorious beacon of lightBIGWILLI2081 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySam View Post

PS don't poke the bear!
Quote:
too late!

2011 Boilermaker Regional Champions
2011 Boilermaker Motorola Quality Award
2011 Boilermaker Autodesk Excellence in Design Award
2010 Boilermaker Regional Finalists
2009 Boilermaker General Motors Industrial Design Award
2008 Boilermaker Engineering Inspiration Award
2007 Boilermaker Rookie All-Star Award
  #553   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 04:42 PM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarden.saa View Post
http://wikileaks.com/
They know what the game is but someone in FIRST caused the site to don't work

just a joke - we will know the game at the kick off
FYI, it's not wikileaks.com. It was originally .org, but now has a list of regional mirrors that can be found at http://wikileaks.info/.
  #554   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 07:30 PM
Feeling Honorable
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuog View Post
Something to consider about Penn Station is the copious use of columns in its original construction.
There is more than one Penn station.
Quote:
Double-dog dare!

(I predict that Mr. Lavery will be dousing me with water when we next meet.)

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #555   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-25-2010, 07:51 PM
WPI Freshman
AKA: Alex
FRC #2503 (Warrior Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2008
theprgramerdude has much to be proud oftheprgramerdude has much to be proud oftheprgramerdude has much to be proud oftheprgramerdude has much to be proud oftheprgramerdude has much to be proud oftheprgramerdude has much to be proud oftheprgramerdude has much to be proud oftheprgramerdude has much to be proud oftheprgramerdude has much to be proud oftheprgramerdude has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch1373 View Post
wouldn't it have to be 0 though? the commutative property of addition...

infinity - infinity = infinity...
-infinity + infinity = -infinity... right?
Infinity minus infinity is undefined. Not all infinity's are created equal (since it's not a defined number), and thus you can't tell when one infinity is equal to another infinity.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: