Go to Post Just as you and your team will make hard decisions as you struggle to build a robot, FIRST has had to make hard decisions concerning maximizing safety while making the number of rules as small as possible. - Mike Betts [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2002, 07:12 PM
None #0885 (Central vermont Robotics (The Green Team))

Rookie Year: 2001
PsychoPhil is an unknown quantity at this point
Germans in FIRST?!?

Hi everybody!

I'm a German exchange student staying with a hostfamily in Vermont and all I can say is that I had a great time with my team here in Vermont (#885) and I'll actually try to start a team in Germany just because I had such a good time and I'd like to participate again next year!
I'm from Dorsten in Germany which is pretty far west and a little bit north. Within one hour I can be in the "Ruhrgebiet", on of the largest industrial areas in Germany. I hope to find a machine shop and some engineers as well as some sponsors to help us out in that area...

If there are any other German people that participated this year and will be back in Germany next year, let me know I'd like to talk to you guys!

And if you have any comments, helpoffering, anything that I should know about starting a team or anything else, post it here...

So watch out for the Germans next year,
so long, Philip
Team #885 (GO VERMONT!)
*2002 Rookie Allstar Award at J&J Regional in New Jersey
*2002 Highest Rookie Seed Award at J&J Regional in New Jersey
*2002 Imagery Award at Canadian Regional (long live the Cowpants)
*2002 "Rally in the Valley" Off-Season Tournament Winning Alliance
*2002 "Rally in the Valley" Off-Season Tournament "Attractiveness in Engineering" Award
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2002, 10:37 PM
Go Badgers!
Team Role: Alumni

Jnadke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Jnadke Send a message via AIM to Jnadke Send a message via Yahoo to Jnadke
Wow! That FIRST-Flu (TM) is pretty contagious.... it's nice to see that you caught it...

Pretty soon FIRST will take over the wor... errrmm.... everyone will love FIRST... yeah... love FIRST...
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-22-2002, 10:52 PM
D.J. Fluck

In 2000 our team had 2 foreign exchange students on the team, one from Germany and one from France....it was an interesting year
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2002, 05:19 AM
#0384 (Tucker Tigers)

Leo M is just really niceLeo M is just really niceLeo M is just really niceLeo M is just really niceLeo M is just really nice
Phil -
I work for a German company - Infineon. One of our engineers, who has since returned to Bavaria, was a mentor in 2000 and 2001. He is without question the strongest FIRST supporter you will ever meet. Contact me by e-mail and I will send you his address. Maybe there is a chance that you can start a team.

Leo.Meire@Infineon.com
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2002, 07:41 AM
7 years, allready!!???!?!?!
AKA: Mongo
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Greg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Perkins Send a message via MSN to Greg Perkins Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Perkins
our "cheese danish"

in 01' we had a exchange student from Denmark, Andreas and he absolutly LOVED first. Well he went back to Denmark, but before he left he had a meeting with the head honcho from BAE SYSTEMS and they made a contact with a big company in Denmark, so hopfully next year there will be a team!!!

Props To Andreas!!

XBOX Live Gamertag = TrixAre4Kidss
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2002, 08:42 AM

contact information?

Quote:
Originally posted by D.J. Fluck
In 2000 our team had 2 foreign exchange students on the team, one from Germany and one from France....it was an interesting year
Do you happen to have the contact information for the German one? I'd like to talk to him maybe he's even interested in helping me to build a team in Germany?!?
If you don't have that information, could you ask within your team and get back to me? That would be really cool...

Thx for all your responses guys, keep 'em coming!!!!
Team #885 (GO VERMONT!)
*2002 "Rally in the Valley" Off-Season Tournament "Attractiveness in Engineering" Award
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2002, 11:03 AM
D.J. Fluck

Re: contact information?

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychoPhil

Do you happen to have the contact information for the German one? I'd like to talk to him maybe he's even interested in helping me to build a team in Germany?!?
If you don't have that information, could you ask within your team and get back to me? That would be really cool...

Ill see what I can do, i know he graduated HS last year in Germany, and the kid I knew from his host family graduated back in 2000....ehh ill give him [Host family] a call today and see if i can get some contact info for ya
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2002, 01:32 PM
#0448 (Crandroids)

Jan Olligs is on a distinguished road
Here! I'm a German exchange student too and I'm going to be at the All Stars Sports with team #448.
Looking forward to Florida.

See you in the sun!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2002, 02:13 PM
ChrisH's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generally Useless
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
ChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond repute
There's a chance my company might send me to Holland to work for a couple of years, not too far from the German border (at least by standards out here in the West). The only things I've been dreading about it have been the logistics of the move itself and the FIRST withdrawls. The later would be by far the bigger problem at least with the move it's eventually over.

If it happens I'd be willing to help get teams started over on that side of the Pond. If nothing else I can be a service tech type guy and help answer questions. At least I'll be in the right time zone and it would greatly reduce the withdrawl symptoms.

"Who is John Galt?"
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2002, 02:36 PM

sounds cool

Sounds cool Chris!

My email address is in my profile and irght HERE (psycho.phil@gmx.de)

Contact me as soon as you know if you are going, that would be awesome...

I'm really surprised how many people I can find in an Aerican FIRST forum to found a GERMAN team, pretty cool...

Keep going with naming more helps, people, etc...

so long, Philip

PS: 7740 SECONDS LEFT TILL I LEAVE FOR EPCOT!!!
Team #885 (GO VERMONT!)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2002, 08:31 PM

*ssssssssssssssssst*

just wanted to pump the article back up to the top of the list..., so that everybody sees it...
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2002, 08:52 PM
MetalHugginMan
AKA: Gil
FRC #0343 (Metal In Motion)

Rookie Year: 1999
Metalhugginman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Metalhugginman Send a message via Yahoo to Metalhugginman
Smile We Have Two Too!

It is with much pleasure that "Metal In Motion" will also bring to Orlando two exchange students from Germany. It is our hope that they too will help celebrate FIRST and introduce it to our friends there. Please be sure and drop by our pit area (Team 343) and say hello to them.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2002, 09:04 PM
Wayne C.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
hey- I think we did pretty good?
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 1997
Wayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond repute
you form the teams- I may have the funding source for you

A resource for the German teams-

Last spring when Team 25 was doing a demo at the ACGNJ Trenton Computer Festival we made contact with a person associated with the Institute of German Industry. At the time I wrote them a letter to suggest they get some FIRST teams going since they tended to fund similar projects in Germany. I never heard back.

If you folks have a team actually forming in Germany who can follow up with them and be a little persistant I may have a name for you to go to for funding and engineering support. See me in the pits of Team 25 this weekend.

WC
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2002, 12:08 AM
#0628 (Northern Robarctics)

mikefrei is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to mikefrei
I'm an exchange student from Basel, Switzerland (about 20 minutes from the german border) all the way up here in alaska and I'm also interested in seeing how FIRST develops here in europe, and hopefully switzerland.

The first-virus is inevitable...

we also had a brazilian exchange student in our team, however he didn't go down to seattle for the regionals (which was especially sad as the brazilian team was there...by the way, anyone from the seattle regionals, we're team 628, HEXAGORE)

greets,
-Mike
Student on #628
Xerox Creativity Award for HEXAGORE

Last edited by mikefrei : 04-24-2002 at 12:10 AM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2002, 09:31 AM

okay....

Hey Mike, are you going down to Florida????

If yes, come and visit me in the pits of Team 343 some time (I'll be wearing a grren T-Shirt with Cowpants, you'll see...)
Team #885 (GO VERMONT!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: