OCCRA
Go to Post Having someone with as much mainstream appeal as will.i.am is a great strategy to draw large amounts of attention to a program that has been relatively hidden to the masses. - Karthik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2012, 01:20 AM
FRC #0525 (Swartdogs)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
Tom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond repute
pic: Render: 2012 Robot - Captain Pike

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2012, 01:23 AM
AKA: Daniel Riedinger
FRC #2584 (Reseda Regents Robotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
teachsail is a jewel in the roughteachsail is a jewel in the roughteachsail is a jewel in the rough
Re: pic: Render: 2012 Robot - Captain Pike

It looks like a really well thought out tight package. Great engineering. Good luck in competition.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Riding my 6'3" Channel Islands Fish
AKA: Roger Romani
FRC #0100 (The Wildhats) and FRC#971 (Spartan Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2010
DampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond reputeDampRobot has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I like the reflective metal in the render and the pneumatic tubing runs. I always like extremely detailed CADs. At some point it reaches the point of diminishing returns in terms of time invested in the model, but having ever last thing in there seems comforting.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:16 AM
FRC #0201 (FEDS 201)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2010
ChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud of

What did you use to render this?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2012, 11:58 AM
FRC #0525 (Swartdogs)

Tom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond repute

It was rendered with Creo (the CAD program formerly known as Pro/E)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2012, 12:09 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

Rookie Year: 2004
IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

If this is named after the Star Trek character you are my new favorite team!

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2012, 12:23 PM
FRC #0525 (Swartdogs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySam View Post
If this is named after the Star Trek character you are my new favorite team!
It is - with the cover in place it looks just like Captain Pike (except for the ball shooter instead of a head.)
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison

How many hours were spent modeling this?

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2012, 01:36 PM
3574 Alumni-Wiring & Awards Mentor
AKA: Karina Adame
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2011
moonlight will become famous soon enoughmoonlight will become famous soon enough

it looks amazing it's the firt bot i see similar to ours. Great minds think alike. Good luck you guys!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2012, 02:19 PM
FRC #0525 (Swartdogs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison View Post
How many hours were spent modeling this?
I'll answer that a bit indirectly. This was our 3rd concept. We did basic CAD work on 2 other robots before we abandonded them and settled on this concept. It was the middle of the 2nd week before we got on track with this robot. We did the mini-octocanum modules first and got drawings to one of our sponsors. I did most of that CAD work myself since it had to be done very quickly. I had to leave town for a few days - when I got back in town on Jan 22nd, the team had the octocanum modules built. The goal from then on was for the CAD team to stay just far enough ahead of the build team so we could give them the exact size, shape and location of features for the parts that were needed. I worked with our 2 CAD students during meeting times to get them to do as much as possible. I filled in as needed early in the mornings and before meeting times to be sure we kept ahead of the build team. As we got later in the build season, the build team got ahead of us with smaller details like motor mounts, potentiometers, optical sensors, the hall effect sensor, etc. Most of those small details I added to the CAD model in the last week or so.

It helped to have a full model from last year. Many of the components I could just grab and move to this year's model. I also made sure we kept the material properties up to date as we went so the rendering step would be quick.

I did have to give up on some of the small details I wanted to add - like the pneumatic tubing on the far side, and lots of screws and nuts are missing.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Feeling Honorable
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ore View Post
and lots of screws and nuts are missing.
How does it stay together ?

Seriously: That is a really nice rendering, I'm jealous.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Starfighter Pilot
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
Rogue Leader is an unknown quantity at this point

This thing looks amazing! It's like a... like... a futuristic battle robot!

This thing puts the "tank" in tank drive! Ha Ha Ha! Wait, what's that? *whisper whisper* Oh it's not a tank drive? Oh. Well. Carry on.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2012, 12:50 AM
Mentor
AKA: Clint Ott
FRC #1730 (Team Driven)
Team Role: College Student

Drivencrazy has a spectacular aura aboutDrivencrazy has a spectacular aura aboutDrivencrazy has a spectacular aura about

That is an amazing render. Really excited to see the the Swartdogs at GKC again this year. Looks like you guys are bringing another great robot. Any video of this thing in action?
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2012, 12:52 AM
VEXpro Engineer
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2005
Aren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond reputeAren_Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivencrazy View Post
That is an amazing render. Really excited to see the the Swartdogs at GKC again this year. Looks like you guys are bringing another great robot. Any video of this thing in action?
Saw it at their scrimmage, it works as good as it looks, quite consistent from the key

VEX Robotics Mechanical Engineer

1625 (2005-2011)
3928 (2012-2013)
148 (2013-?)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-25-2012, 11:36 PM
Unprepared
AKA: Wil Payne (@Wil_Payne)
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)

Rookie Year: 2008
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to PayneTrain

If I'm looking at this correctly, you took parts from the C-Base kit and just put them around the robot. That's pretty clever.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: