Go to Post Would FIRST be as amazing if not for CD? I mean it would still be this amazing place for students and mentors to be but the explosion of innovation and gathering of people together across communities has to have been greatly effected by CD. - dodar [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:36 AM
LabVIEW Educator and Mentor
AKA: Ben Zimmer
FRC #0843 (Wildcats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
LVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud of
Exclamation Have your Say! Opinion sought on the FRC Game Manual Website and Apps

Hello All,

Ben here, from Enable. You may remember me from some FRCMastery.com LabVIEW training videos called the “Tip Jar” which our company did for previous seasons.

For this past season, we worked with FIRST to provide the interactive FRC Game Manual, and the iOS app. We also partnered with App Delegates to provide an Android App.

We’re planning our improvements for next season, and would love your feedback.

If you can spare 2 minutes (And I know you can, because the season’s over and you’re STILL on Chief Delphi ), please fill out the survey here: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L9F25YQ.

And, of course, feel free to comment in this thread.

Thanks,
Ben
www.FRCMastery.com
email: ben@enabletc.com
Phone/Fax: (905) 864-1858
Toll Free: (877) 872-4619
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2012, 09:45 AM
The GURU Channel
AKA: Richard Sisk
FRC #2493 (Robokong)

Rookie Year: 2007
rsisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond reputersisk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to rsisk
Re: Have your Say! Opinion sought on the FRC Game Manual Website and Apps

absolutely loved having the game manual on my phone!

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:01 AM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

Rookie Year: 2006
MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

That took more than two minutes.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:22 AM
On to a new chapter...
AKA: David Givens
FRC #1071 (Team MAX)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
dag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond repute
Big fan of the app! The only thing I wish was that if we wanted to, we could look at several rules at once, in addition to having to move between each individual rule.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dag0620 View Post
Big fan of the app! The only thing I wish was that if we wanted to, we could look at several rules at once, in addition to having to move between each individual rule.
Agreed, and that's the advice I gave as well. Not everybody memorizes the rules by number; some of us need to browse through the sections.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Student at Kettering University
AKA: Kimberly
FRC #0068 (Truck Town Thunder)

Rookie Year: 2009
Kimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Kimmeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
That took more than two minutes.
Well, if you wouldn't leave useful comments, it might have only taken two minutes.

Seriously, "It sucked." isn't a helpful comment at all.
[2009 - 2010] 2604 Metal and Soul| Student | 2010 - Gracious Professionalism Award, UL Industrial Safety Award
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Electrical/Programming Mentor
FRC #2177 (The Robettes)

Jon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond reputeJon Stratis has a reputation beyond repute

Figured I would duplicate my two main comments here for everyone on CD to enjoy/discuss

For both the app and website: I'd love to see a direct connection (in the form of "comments" on the side?) between the rules and the FRC Q&A. Both the rules and any Q&A responses that pertain to those rules are really needed to fully understand design constraints on the robots.

The ability to "subscribe" to changes to specific sections or subsections, so I could receive an e-mail containing updates I'm interested in. Often teams are broken up into subteams, where each subteam may be interested in a different portion of the robot rules. For example, the electrical team is the only one really interested in the Power distribution subsection, while the PR/awards team will be the only ones really interested in the Awards section.

And of course, I mentioned the app's limitation of viewing one rule at a time. I ended up ditching the app and just loading the PDFs onto my iPhone... much easier to scroll through and find the rules I wanted to look at.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2012, 01:18 PM
AKA: Michael Reffler
FRC #1089 (Mercury)

Rookie Year: 1999
Phalanx has a reputation beyond reputePhalanx has a reputation beyond reputePhalanx has a reputation beyond reputePhalanx has a reputation beyond reputePhalanx has a reputation beyond reputePhalanx has a reputation beyond reputePhalanx has a reputation beyond reputePhalanx has a reputation beyond reputePhalanx has a reputation beyond reputePhalanx has a reputation beyond reputePhalanx has a reputation beyond repute

I took the survey, and it didn't take that long at all.

I really liked the APP and was glad to have it. I did add to my survey comments the same items I'll repeat here.

1) The ability to search the entire manual. I don't always remember what section has what, so searching for a keyword of phrase would make finding things easier and faster.

2) The ability to ZOOM the screen you're reading. Some of us "older" folks *cough cough* have enough trouble reading a paper manual or PDF so being able to "size up" the screen I'm reading would be a huge plus.

Overall great APP, add my 2 items above, it becomes outstanding. IMHO.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-16-2012, 08:00 PM
does what needs to be done.
FRC #2449 (Out of Orbit Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
daniel_dsouza has a spectacular aura aboutdaniel_dsouza has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
I took the survey, and it didn't take that long at all.

1) The ability to search the entire manual. I don't always remember what section has what, so searching for a keyword of phrase would make finding things easier and faster.

Overall great APP, add my 2 items above, it becomes outstanding. IMHO.
Agreed. It was a good use of my time.

One other thing I asked for is an offline mode. If there was one, my Itouch and Android tablet couldn't use it. I would also like the return of the all inclusive .pdf. It made desktop searching offline so much easier.

The best part about the app was the auto-update feature. Although with the new notification features in iOS 5, I would like to have notifications whenever a rule gets updated.

But the bottom line is great job, and I hope this returns next year!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2012, 05:43 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the link between the manual and the Q&A. Directly synching the two by rule would be awesome, so you can read the rule, see posted questions, and see answers (where given) all at the same place.
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2012, 10:16 PM
Teaching Teachers to Teach Tech
AKA: Jason Brett
FRC #1346 ("Trobotics" competed 2004-2010)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2004
dtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond reputedtengineering has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciated having everything available off-line. With no wifi at the event, and having a Canadian cell phone plan, but volunteering at an American regional, data costs are... unreasonable...

Linking Q&A to their relevant rule, so you don't have to go searching for them would be great.

Jason
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-22-2012, 11:54 AM
LabVIEW Educator and Mentor
AKA: Ben Zimmer
FRC #0843 (Wildcats)

Rookie Year: 2008
LVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud ofLVMastery has much to be proud of

Everyone, thanks so much!

We got 84 survey responses, and our team is looking forward to implementing your suggestions.

Sincerely,
Ben
www.FRCMastery.com
email: ben@enabletc.com
Phone/Fax: (905) 864-1858
Toll Free: (877) 872-4619

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: