OCCRA
Go to Post -dave "The Circular Saw of FIRST" lavery - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST Tech Challenge
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Two cookies, one robot, all awesome
AKA: Derrick Maust
FTC #4240 (Techno Clovers)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2008
team F.T.C 4240 has a spectacular aura aboutteam F.T.C 4240 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to team F.T.C 4240
[FTC]: Lift systems/Time?

It seems since this past weekend (after the new high scores) a lot of teams have said they are completely redesigning there robots, but I was wondering if teams redesign there robots and still keep the ball collection or any part of the robot, will they have have enough time to build it in such a way for the lift to work with the rest of the robot? I think teams will have enough time between now and Worlds (like the teams that have Invitations) but I don't know about having it ready by some State competitions, because there has been a lot of qualifiers and state competitions already, and most of them are with in the next month or so. Thanks and please tell me your thoughts.
2010-11: MD Finalist Alliance Captain, MD Innovate Award Winner, DE Winning Alliance Captain, Worlds Edison Division Finalist Alliance Captain.
2011-2012: MD Annapolis Qualifier Winning Alliance, PTC Design Winner.
DE State Inspire Award Winner.
MD State Winning Alliance Captain, PTC Design Winner.
World Championship Franklin Winning Alliance, Thanks Landroids and Cougar Robotics!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:21 PM
AKA: Karan Hiremath
FTC #0110 (MFS Foxes)
Team Role: Programmer

alphadog0309 will become famous soon enoughalphadog0309 will become famous soon enough
Re: [FTC]: Lift systems/Time?

As a team that will NOT be redesigning their robot, we would like to warn teams about the amount of work that goes into creating a lift system. For us at least it took a LONG time to get the lift right. If you are redesigning power to you but I would NOT redesign if I had to make the decision right now.
YouTube: MFS Foxes
Twitter:
@Foxes_110
Co-Captain
Head Programmer
Service Coordinator
Builder
Electrical
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 12:37 PM

team F.T.C 4240 has a spectacular aura aboutteam F.T.C 4240 has a spectacular aura about

I completely agree with you, our lift took a very long time to make, we spent a lot of time on off practices to get it right because one practice a week is nothing close to enough. Not only do you need to build a lift, you need to flip a crate, put a ball in it, lift it, have something that holds it, then lift. Its a long process to get everything working together but I think it can be done if you spend enough time on it. I think most high lifting teams will want a partner that can flip crates, put balls in them and then bring them to the team with the lift, but that's just what I think will happen.
2010-11: MD Finalist Alliance Captain, MD Innovate Award Winner, DE Winning Alliance Captain, Worlds Edison Division Finalist Alliance Captain.
World Championship Franklin Winning Alliance, Thanks Landroids and Cougar Robotics!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 08:44 PM
no team

h3x is an unknown quantity at this point

I think now is a good time to bring up some other things about the lifts.

Do you think FIRST meant for this game to be based around lifting? It makes all other scoring methods mostly useless.

Second, what are your strategies for defending against lifting? How easy do you think it is to move crates around on the ground and make it difficult for teams to get? It seems to me simply nudging a crate can make a team take an extra 15 seconds. There are a few other great ways to prevent teams from holding a crate up at the end of the game that I haven't heard talk of, too.

But yeah, what are people's thoughts regarding this stuff?

Last edited by h3x : 01-18-2012 at 10:36 PM.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2012, 11:09 PM
AKA: Andrew Remmers
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2007
Andrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Remmers Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Remmers

I've come up with a linear lift system that would be really easy to build and implement, however working out the kinks in a lift system is really what takes most of the time. I think the teams with scissor lifts did a great job and have proven scissors to be great mechanisms for this game (even though I don't like them really)

However for sake of argument I'm going to throw this in there. I am a strong believer that if a team were to implement it correctly a Linear system would A be faster to lift B be higher and C much much more efficient (all relies on design of course)

What does everyone think?

- Andrew

Built and Dangerous (B.A.D) 2011-2012

Community Mentor of Knowledge / School Break 2012-2014

North American Robotics: The MooseEagles Founding Member 2012-Present (VEX U)
2012-2013 (Sack Attack) College Excellence Award
2012-2013 (Sack Attack) College Finalist Award
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2012, 12:35 AM
no team

h3x is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyride_67_1902 View Post
I've come up with a linear lift system that would be really easy to build and implement, however working out the kinks in a lift system is really what takes most of the time. I think the teams with scissor lifts did a great job and have proven scissors to be great mechanisms for this game (even though I don't like them really)

However for sake of argument I'm going to throw this in there. I am a strong believer that if a team were to implement it correctly a Linear system would A be faster to lift B be higher and C much much more efficient (all relies on design of course)

What does everyone think?

- Andrew
What do you mean by a linear lift system? Can you be a little more specific?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Team Captain
FTC #3540 (Roboboogie)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2009
jasonbrooks is an unknown quantity at this point

We are using a linear lift system!

In other words H3X, rather than using two sissors to lift up crates, it uses 1 telescoping rod.

2010 - New York City Regional Tournament - Connect Award Winner
2010 - New York City Regional Tournament - Motivate Award Finalist
2010 - New York City Regional Tournament - Division Finalist
2011 - New York City Regional Tournament - Connect Award Winner
2011 - Kingswood Oxford Regional Tournament - 2nd Place Alliance
2012 - Hudson Valley Regional Tournament - Winning Alliance
2012 - New York City Regional Tournament - 3rd Place Inspire Award
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2012, 08:38 AM
no team

Andrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Remmers Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Remmers

Quote:
Originally Posted by h3x View Post
What do you mean by a linear lift system? Can you be a little more specific?
Not a scissor lift.

http://team254.com/wp-content/upload...254-2011-1.jpg

Best example.

- Andrew

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2012, 08:44 AM

With most scissor lifts, they take up 2 out of the 8 DC motors, along with a good chunk of the robot (no matter how big or how many links you have). We took the time to build everything around the scissor lift, but if you don't have a ton of time to work on your FTC robot, you might want to consider another form of lifting a crate like the posts above, we never used a telescoping lift, but it could be a fast way to get a lift system that works and ready for competition. Like I said before, it will take a lot of time and effort to build a robot to lift crates very high.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:00 AM
no team

Nothing more than truth in that post!

Just to poke the fire a bit more I figured out a way to get 19 feet with a linear lift, can anyone figure out how?

- Andrew

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Head Coach
FTC #5037 (got robot?)
Team Role: Coach

gotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to gotrobot?

Our experience has been most of the 2nd year and older teams have implemented a lift system. There are a few rookie teams building them but most have their hands full learning all they need to know about FTC.

The lifts come in various flavors: Nested slides, roller and track, 4-bar linkage, single arm lifts, and scissor. The scissor lifts are the most common.

We've observed that most lifting robots are one trick ponies. Half of the are in barely working order and the rest are very slow, requiring a great deal of time to set and lift.

www.facebook.com/gotrobot
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2012, 12:28 PM

For the most part that is true, this year our gear ratio is 1:1 because last year we did 2:1 and it was to slow and plus we pushed the middle of the field all the way to the other side in auto mode twice at Worlds. So at lest we aren't slow this year.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Head Coach
FTC #5037 (got robot?)
Team Role: Coach

gotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to allgotrobot? is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to gotrobot?

@Aperture: Actually, yes. Just not sure how to store the helium.

www.facebook.com/gotrobot
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:12 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrobot? View Post
@Aperture: Actually, yes. Just not sure how to store the helium.
hehehe Helium storage wouldn't pass inspection silly...

Actually pnuematics would be pretty cool...

- Andrew

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2012, 10:40 PM

I think you can use lego pneumatic's

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: