OCCRA
Go to Post Whatever the rule, MAKE IT CLEAR. - Bill Beatty [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy > Scouting
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2012, 03:40 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11
Re: 2012 Scouting Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricLeifermann View Post
What you really want to know this year is

How many baskets scored
Any penalties
Did they balance on the bridge
Final score of match
did red or blue win

and a place for comments. Such as they only can only score while touching the fender, etc.

It doesn't matter what basket they score on. I am going to pick the robot that scores the most points. Do i want the robot who scores 100 balls on the low basket or the robot who scores 10 balls on the top basket?
Two things:
We never have had scouts record the result of the match as all the information is available online. I don't think we have ever even looked at the data, anyway.

How are you going to determine which robot scores the most points if you don't know what basket the scored on?
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2012, 04:00 PM
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
EricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond repute

I like the score of the match and who won, especially this year when an 0-8 team can be ranked the same as a 8-0 team. The scores allows you to to see a correlation between each match, yes they are posted online but why look them up after the fact.

Knowing where they score is perfectly fine thing to track, but its not necessary. I say this because if they score 100 baskets in the bottom hoop its 100 points but 10 baskets in the top hoop is only 30. Yes there is a curve where the 1 or 2 pointers are worth less than the same amount of 3 pointers but if you know a team can score 10+ baskets who cares what hoop its in. Yes I understand that most teams aren't going to be able to score 10+ points so know where they do score is good. So there isn't a reason why you wouldn't track what basket they score in, im just saying its not the most important thing.

#18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Programming
FRC #3070 (Team Pronto)

Rookie Year: 2009
Patrick Chiang is a name known to allPatrick Chiang is a name known to allPatrick Chiang is a name known to allPatrick Chiang is a name known to allPatrick Chiang is a name known to allPatrick Chiang is a name known to all

Attached is latest version working on Windows 7. We're still working on cleaning it up. 3rd attachment shows the input form. I hope no one here is on team 306... No offense intended, it's just bogus data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherSD View Post
Please tell me this comes on Windows.
Yes. It doesn't use any platform-specific calls.

Quote:
Why do you need to know where they take each shot? You want your scouters to be able to collect data fast and accurately. Having your scouters looking up and down from the field to the paper will decrease both. The less the scouters need to focus on the better the data you are going to get.

What you really want to know this year is

How many baskets scored
Any penalties
Did they balance on the bridge
Final score of match
did red or blue win
and a place for comments. Such as they only can only score while touching the fender, etc.

It doesn't matter what basket they score on. I am going to pick the robot that scores the most points. Do i want the robot who scores 100 balls on the low basket or the robot who scores 10 balls on the top basket?
See, we have 6+ people watching each game and it will be fairly easy for them to record the baskets scored with our scouting program. It's not like they're going to be doing anything more important anyway.

Also, if you just calculated points, you would have to make the scouts do "*3" and "*2" or "*3+3" for baskets scored in upper baskets or in autonomous. Much easier if they can just click a button.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	64
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	11859  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	43
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	11860  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	41
Size:	156.8 KB
ID:	11861  

Last edited by Patrick Chiang : 02-11-2012 at 06:18 PM.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2012, 09:26 PM
UMich MechE '16
AKA: @BaselThe2nd
FRC #3322 (Eagle Imperium)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Basel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond reputeBasel A has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri View Post
Yes and no--fouls will be signaled to the crowd, but not discussed/announced afterwards. And of course the score will change, but only after the signal is given. You'll definitely know if you're looking, but I am a little worried about my scouts catching them while watching the robot. This is challenge enough as a coach, and I've met may coaches who miss such things.

Also, you'll only be "told" which rule the foul is on for the "most common" fouls. Our at least our best guess at the most common fouls. The rest will take some deduction on the part of the scouts. Something to consider depending on the experience/knowledge/attentiveness of your scouts.
Yes, you're right. I wasn't clear. I think the best practice would be to instruct scouts on recognising fouls themselves, but if that fails, they should be able to watch the referees, since this year's scoring isn't very difficult with only 3 balls per robot (at a time) and a relatively slow endgame.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2012, 10:19 PM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11

Quote:
Knowing where they score is perfectly fine thing to track, but its not necessary. I say this because if they score 100 baskets in the bottom hoop its 100 points but 10 baskets in the top hoop is only 30.
In your example how do you know they scored 100 baskets in the bottom hoop or in the top hoop or some combination if your scouts don't record it?
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2012, 08:55 PM
FRC #0191

wilsonmagnet is an unknown quantity at this point

Next revision. Feedback still welcome.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2012Scout.doc (139.5 KB, 60 views)
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-14-2012, 06:45 PM
FRC #0191

Revised version of 2012 Scouting Form with support documents:
ScoutReport - to report alliance and opponent data for upcoming matches
ScoutSummary - to summarize individual team data for alliance selection
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2012Scout.doc (139.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: doc 2012ScoutReport.doc (119.5 KB, 54 views)
File Type: doc 2012ScoutSummary.doc (57.5 KB, 52 views)
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2012, 09:42 PM
FRC #0191

Attached are the Scouting Forms we will use next week at the Finger Lakes Regional. Go X-Cats!
Attached Files
File Type: doc 2012Scout.doc (139.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: doc 2012ScoutSummary.doc (57.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: doc 2012ScoutReport.doc (119.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: doc 2012FLR.doc (160.5 KB, 39 views)
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 03:18 PM
PirateCesar354
AKA: Cesar
FRC #0354 (Westinghouse Pirates)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2011
G-HousePirate is an unknown quantity at this point

Team 354 has come up with a general scouting sheets as an printable on and an excel one.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 05:47 PM
You cannot not make a difference
FRC #2170

Rookie Year: 2004
Bill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond repute

Have any of you practiced using your scouting ideas/sheets/systems while watching one or more of the re-cap videos of a match? I know that some videos are not well-suited for scoring practice because the cameraman has taken an interest in some particular action to the exclusion of field coverage.

I would think that if several of your scouts come up with close or identical results on your system, then you will know that you have a degree of consistency and utility in the data they are generating. If there are wide differences in how your scouts react to the same match, then you need to find out why that is. Either it's a form deficiency or your scouts are literally not on the same page in their understanding of what is required of them.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: