OCCRA
Go to Post Everyone is wrong! - Chris is me [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:34 PM
FRC #1517 (Lumberjacks)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
adf0221 is an unknown quantity at this point
Robot Loses Connection

We are having very bad issues with our robot maintaining connection to the DriverStation when we are driving without a tether. The robot will initially connect to the radio fine but after a short time the robot will become jerky when controlling and the green lights on the driver station will flash red and then come back green. When it comes back on a message about the watchdog, which is not in our program at all, will flash on the screen before reconnecting to the radio and regaining control. We are struggling to solve this issue and cannot practice driving freely and shooting until we can find a solution. Any help is desperately needed. Thanks in advance
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Keyreaper
AKA: Cyrus Duong
FRC #1710 (Revolution Ravonics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
Keyreaper is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to Keyreaper
Re: Robot Loses Connection

I suggest looking at your ethernet cables that connect your cRIO to the router/bridge/radio... Our team found out we had the same issue of it shaking loose while driving.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Are there other wireless networks operating in your building?
They could be interfering with your DLink. You can try different channels/bands to reduce contention.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Mechanics / Design / Electronics
AKA: Brendan Woods
FRC #0806 (The Brooklyn Blacksmiths)

Rookie Year: 2010
BlacksmithWoods is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to BlacksmithWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by adf0221 View Post
We are having very bad issues with our robot maintaining connection to the DriverStation when we are driving without a tether. The robot will initially connect to the radio fine but after a short time the robot will become jerky when controlling and the green lights on the driver station will flash red and then come back green. When it comes back on a message about the watchdog, which is not in our program at all, will flash on the screen before reconnecting to the radio and regaining control. We are struggling to solve this issue and cannot practice driving freely and shooting until we can find a solution. Any help is desperately needed. Thanks in advance
Yeah, my team is having the same exact problem. We have yet to find a solution.

Keeping It Stupidly Simple since 2002
"You are done with designing something, not when there's nothing more to add, but when there's nothing left to remove." - EricH
NYC FRC STLA (2011- 2014) Practice Field / Alumni Relations
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2012, 10:39 AM
no team (Team NI)

Rookie Year: 2008
Greg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond repute

The DS has a Charts tab which gives you two communications feedback values -- round trip time in milliseconds and lost packets. Can you summarize the plots or post a screenshot?

Greg McKaskle
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2012, 12:10 PM
Mechanics / Design / Electronics
AKA: Brendan Woods
FRC #0806 (The Brooklyn Blacksmiths)

Rookie Year: 2010
BlacksmithWoods is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to BlacksmithWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McKaskle View Post
The DS has a Charts tab which gives you two communications feedback values -- round trip time in milliseconds and lost packets. Can you summarize the plots or post a screenshot?

Greg McKaskle
Okay, we are working on getting the screenshots now. However, we also have another problem. On the DS on the Diagnostics tab we are getting a green light for joystick 1 when no USB Joystick is plugged in. In addition to that when the robot is off the green lights for DS Radio and Bridge are blinking on and off. Any suggestions?

Keeping It Stupidly Simple since 2002
"You are done with designing something, not when there's nothing more to add, but when there's nothing left to remove." - EricH
NYC FRC STLA (2011- 2014) Practice Field / Alumni Relations
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2012, 12:28 PM
no team (Team NI)

Greg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond reputeGreg McKaskle has a reputation beyond repute

The diagnostics page does a few different things. It pings the ethernet devices and shows the results, and it shows whether it was able to identify and open a connection to a USB HID joystick or gamepad device.

My explanation for the blinking ping results is that another device not he network has the same IP address. You may be able to do a reverse DNS lookup and determine the other device. Or perhaps you should simplify the network to get rid of the cross-talk. Our office at work is also a 10.xx.yy.zz network, so this happens there. You generally fix this by turning off or disabling all of the LANs and WANs on the PC until only the one connected to the robot is enabled.

I don't really have an explanation for the joystick except that the PC drivers say that there is. Perhaps if you open up the control panel and go to the joystick section and see if it agrees. I have seen BT or wireless joystick adapters that "reserve" connections to devices that they own. I was a BT mouse set that claimed to be a mouse, keyboard and joystick all the time just in case you owned the other devices and turned them on.

Greg McKaskle
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2012, 12:40 PM
no team

RufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McKaskle View Post
My explanation for the blinking ping results is that another device not he network has the same IP address.
Greg, I don't think this is the case. In my experience these lights always flash green when the Diagnostics tab is left open, as long as the DS is connected to a network. I haven't tried Wiresharking to compare the green flash to the actual pings, but I would guess based on the frequency that the flash occurs each time the DS re-pings the devices.

BlacksmithWoods, I would recommend ignoring the DS radio and Birdge lights blinking. I don't think that is related to your actual issue.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-19-2012, 12:55 PM
no team (Team NI)

In my experience, they shouldn't flash. The exact command line being executed to ping is ...

ping -n 1 -w 150

When the Diagnostics panel is open, the pings are run on each device one after the other once a second and the display is updated after all of them complete. They shouldn't flash unless some of the pings timeout or fail. Perhaps there are other reasons for the ping failure, but in our office, every time I've seen it, it was due to conflicting IPs.

Greg McKaskle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: