OCCRA
Go to Post You know, sometimes it is really cool to be a geek! - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > Extra Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Financial Engineer
no team (Robot Yacht Club)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Conor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond reputeConor Ryan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: pic: Best Emcee Ever?

2006 Boston Regional, may have had some of the greatest antics ever to be at an FRC event. However, highly credible sources say Hawaii puts on one hell of a show.

When Blair pulled this off nobody expected it.

Blair gets my vote, cause lots of people can do the story telling part, but not many have the balls for this (even if it is half a poof ball strapped to your head).
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 02:10 AM
Mentor
AKA: Glenn
FRC #0359 (Hawaiian Kids)

Rookie Year: 2000
waialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond reputewaialua359 has a reputation beyond repute

Play by play game announcer-Dan Green!
I pushed to have him come to Hawaii this year, but with no luck......YET.
MC-Mark and Blair.
However, for those that remember Mark during his younger days, no one had more energy and crazy antics than him for sure!

2014 OZARK Mountain Brawl Champions, #1 seed.
2014 Hawaii Regional Champions, #1 seed, UL Safety Award
2014 Dallas Regional Champions, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2014 Northern Lights Regional Champions, #1 seed, Entrepreneurship Award
2013 Texas Robot Roundup Finalist
2013 Championship Dean's List Winner
2013 Hawaii Regional Finalist, #1 seed, Engineering Excellence Award
2013 Utah Regional Champion, #1 seed, KP&B Award, Deans List
2013 Boilermaker Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Lone Star Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award
2012 Hawaii Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award

2011 NYC-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Chairman's Award, Safety Award
2011 Hawaii-Regional Champion, #1 seed, Motorola Quality Award, Volunteer of the Year, Website Award
2011 Las Vegas-Regional Finalist, #2 seed, WFFA, KP&C Entrepreneurship Award,
2011 FRC World Championship-Championship Chairman's Award
2011 IRI-Tournament Champions

#33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 02:55 AM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

I'm a little disappointed that this is all the same names that would have been raised 5 years ago (minus Paul "Copioil"). If you subtract the Karthik and Barry references, 10 years ago as well. FIRST has had on and off pushes for keeping the MCs in older hands, but I'm kinda hoping for one of the younger/newer generation of MCs to make a name for themselves. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one do it yet. Not that their performances are bad, just none of them have stepped to that next level yet and really created their own personality.

Also, I'm completely unsurprised by the "name your regional's MC" trend in the thread. Though the lack of respect for Jeff Seaton is surprising.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:07 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)

Rookie Year: 2002
RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

All the names mentioned above are just great!

The MC's are all hardworking and each brings his/her own spin and energy and personality to the event.

Honestly, although I have been lucky enough to see watch so many in action I would be hard pressed to pick "the best". They are all different. Every event that gets one of the very experienced MC's (the ones who get to move on to the Championship) is very lucky. And every event lucky enough to recruit someone who really knows FIRST, and can do the background banter is blessed. It really is not a contest. As the number of events grows, we need more and more MC's who are welcome.

I know that I am in awe of Greg Needel and his knowledge of the teams and the banter, and we are so lucky to have him at the Chesapeake.
This is How I Work: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2862

Last edited by RoboMom : 03-15-2012 at 12:59 PM.
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 07:19 AM
FF - Team 2
AKA: Nicholas
FRC #0313

Rookie Year: 2006
nikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant futurenikeairmancurry has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
I'm a little disappointed that this is all the same names that would have been raised 5 years ago (minus Paul "Copioil"). If you subtract the Karthik and Barry references, 10 years ago as well. FIRST has had on and off pushes for keeping the MCs in older hands, but I'm kinda hoping for one of the younger/newer generation of MCs to make a name for themselves. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one do it yet. Not that their performances are bad, just none of them have stepped to that next level yet and really created their own personality.

Also, I'm completely unsurprised by the "name your regional's MC" trend in the thread. Though the lack of respect for Jeff Seaton is surprising.
I have a possible up and comer for you, Grant Cox, former 217 driver. He has all the makes of a great MC just waiting to come out. Tons of energy, jumps around or over people. Displays a good history of FIRST, and purely enjoys watching every match. He also likes to break out the trivia and jokes during timeouts and between matches. He doesn't get to showcase his talents much with going to Michigan Tech, but he sure gives it a go when he can. Grant, for sure could become the next great MC.

#36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Kims Robot's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Onto a New Chapter...
AKA: Kim O'Toole Eckhardt
no team

Rookie Year: 1996
Kims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kims Robot

Quote:
I'm a little disappointed that this is all the same names that would have been raised 5 years ago (minus Paul "Copioil")...
I'll add a new one!! - Angry Eric!

Ok so I'm a little biased... but the great Andy Grady & Libby will vouch for me! Eric has been MC'ing for 6 years now and has done NNYRI FLL & FTC competitions, FLFLL Champs, Beantown Blitz, Ruckus, and the Boston Regional!

This year he has a new "outfit" for opening & finals, but will be returning with the red mohawk! (My favorite part is he has to wear the mohawk to work for a week between the two regionals he will be doing!! lol)

Although for the "long time", I agree with Blair & Woodie being my favorites. I also think we may see Dylan's name coming up in the future... he had an amazing voice & did a great job the few times they put him out at FLR (ahem I hope he comes back next year full time!!)
History - Team 176, Team 229, Team 1511, FIRST Volunteer!!
My new FIRST Photography Hobby & Angry Eric's Fan Page
Excellence - is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 12:38 PM
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
EricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond reputeEricLeifermann has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'm a little disappointed that this is all the same names that would have been raised 5 years ago (minus Paul "Copioil"). If you subtract the Karthik and Barry references, 10 years ago as well. FIRST has had on and off pushes for keeping the MCs in older hands, but I'm kinda hoping for one of the younger/newer generation of MCs to make a name for themselves. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one do it yet. Not that their performances are bad, just none of them have stepped to that next level yet and really created their own personality. .
Now, I am biased because I've known the guy for over 10 years, but Tyler Olds is a fantastic MC and announcer, he regularly does 4-5 comps in the Midwest and he has announced and done some MCing at championships for the past 3 or 4 years.

That being said when I think about a FRC MC I can only hear Dave Verbugge's voice and when I think FRC announcing I can only hear Dan Green's voice

#38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
I volunteer at events way too much.
AKA: David Givens
FRC #1071 (Team MAX)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
dag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kims Robot View Post
I'll add a new one!! - Angry Eric!
I just want to say, not only is that picture awesome for Eric, but what ever Jacob's doing, it's looking pretty awesome.

Yes that's getting into our favorite FTAs now, but I just had to mention it
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 02:22 PM
AKA: Zach CH
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)

Rookie Year: 2011
StAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud ofStAxis has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to StAxis

None of you ever heard of Barry? Come on!
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 03:05 PM
AKA: Simon Bohn
FRC #0639 (Code Red)
Team Role: Alumni

Grim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Montois View Post
My vote is for Karthik, hands down.
This. Nothing quite beats the trademark jump-and-point.

-Buckeye Regional Champion 2013, 2014
-Newton Division Finalists 2012 thanks to 68 and 330
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Old
AKA: Jack Nowakowski
no team

Rookie Year: 2005
JackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JackN Send a message via Skype™ to JackN

I remember really enjoying Jeff Seaton when watching past VCU webcasts, he has the right amount of passion and entertainment to keep me engaged in an event that I had very little connection to.

Being from Michigan I have to vote for Dave Verbrugge, I think he is the most articulate and interesting emcee there is. He builds the excitement/tension/energy in an event without moves and antics, he uses a calm and consistent delivery, excellent diction and a mind with an extremely descriptive history of FIRST. I have gotten goosebumps on multiple occasions while watching him.

I do really enjoy Paul Copioli, especially his introduction to matches two and three of the finals at the Troy District last year. The way he broke down the two alliances and explained keys was something I hadn't seen in a long time.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 09:02 PM
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Carol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond repute

They are all great, and there is no way you can classify any of them as best. That said, I do remember a regional with Blair as game announcer in which there were many 0-0 matches. But Blair had the knack of making them all seem to be the most exciting matches you have ever seen.

P.S. Do you realize that Blair runs the training calls for all FRC emcees and game announcers?

MOE 2007 Chairman's Video by MOE video team and Paul Lazarus http://moe365.org/CHMN_AWD_video_2008.php
MOE 10-Year Video Celebration on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcSMUBUqEs
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Mentor
AKA: Big D
FRC #1126 (SparX)

GoSparx is just really niceGoSparx is just really niceGoSparx is just really niceGoSparx is just really niceGoSparx is just really nice

Dave Verbrugge hands down. He is the only man to drive out in Atlanta with some GM car, with 3 woman, all while playing "Sharp Dressed Man" over the PA system. So good.

'03, '04, '08 Buckeye Champs, '07 Finalists
'06 Finger Lakes Champs, '08 Finalists
'06 Galileo Division Champs
'04 Newton Division Champs
'08 Buckeye Motorola Quality Award
'07 Buckeye General Motors Industrial Design Award
'06, '07 Finger Lakes Rockwell Automation Innovation in Control Award
'05 Buckeye RadioShack Inovation in Control award
2-2009 J+J Gracious Professionalism Awards(FLR+GTR) & Xerox Creativity Award(GTR)
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2012, 02:32 AM
College...
FRC #2438 (`Iobotics)
Team Role: College Student

ThirteenOfTwo is a name known to allThirteenOfTwo is a name known to allThirteenOfTwo is a name known to allThirteenOfTwo is a name known to allThirteenOfTwo is a name known to allThirteenOfTwo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conor Ryan View Post
2006 Boston Regional, may have had some of the greatest antics ever to be at an FRC event. However, highly credible sources say Hawaii puts on one hell of a show.
The 2010 Hawaii Regional ceremonies were absolutely insane. If I remember right, they featured...

--aerial dancers above the field
--fire dancing on the field
--the DJ in drag joining a local dance crew in a rendition of "Thriller"
--Mark Leon's judo rolls

Last edited by ThirteenOfTwo : 03-16-2012 at 10:37 AM.
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:35 PM
FRC #1622

TeamSpyder1622 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNerd256 View Post
Nope. Mark Leon.

'Nuff said.
Agreed. NO one can even come close to his awesomeness

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: