Go to Post We were also at 9,999 [characters] for Chairmans...Mom always said I was an under-achiever. - Chris Fultz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:08 PM
AKA: Mike
FRC #1619 (Up-A-Creek Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
mott is on a distinguished road
Team Update 03-14-2012

GAME - Team UPDATE - 2012-03-14
GAME
Special Message from the GDC

The Coopertition Bridge in Rebound Rumble is this year’s method of fostering Coopertition and Gracious Professionalism among students while inspiring an appreciation of science and technology. The white bridge's purpose is to motivate participating players, teams and alliances to collaborate with other players, teams and alliances (even in the heat of competition) by rewarding them for working together. Coopertition and Gracious Professionalism are tenets of FIRST – they are part of what makes FIRST different and wonderful; all FIRST participants, teams and alliances should strive to exercise those principals at every given opportunity. To quote Woodie, “FIRST does not celebrate being an incompetent jerk. FIRST does celebrate high-quality, well-informed work done in a manner that leaves everyone feeling valued.” In other words, bullying, coercion, and unsportsmanlike conduct have no place in FIRST. We expect all teams to always try their best to accomplish the tasks at hand, and always push themselves to achieve even greater successes. Best of luck to all of you as you continue to balance the real-life struggles of competing against each other while cooperating with each other – both on and off the Court.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:10 PM
In Transition.
AKA: SuperNerd256
no team (Robo Rams)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence
Re: Team Update 03-14-2012

Then that's that. No more strategically preventing balance to create an influx in QF points. Oh well.

Championships isn't the end - it's the beginning.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Moo....
FRC #2130 (Alpha +)
Team Role: Animator

Rookie Year: 2012
Mofasa2130 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very true. Best of luck to you and your team also.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:22 PM
AKA: Ryan Legato
FRC #0067 (HOT Team)

Rookie Year: 2007
Legator91 is a jewel in the roughLegator91 is a jewel in the roughLegator91 is a jewel in the roughLegator91 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Legator91

After what happened last weekend, and the huge argument that took place in the forums here, this was bound to happen. I personally think its a good thing the GDC did this. FIRST is all about gracious professionalism and coopertition, and tipping that bridge, especially after it is already balanced, goes against both of those principles.

If anything the rule will prevent future conflicts, by not allowing teams to sabotage the bridge.
2009 Michigan State Champs
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:27 PM
Coach
FRC #1086 (Blue Cheese)
Team Role: Teacher

wilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond reputewilsonmw04 has a reputation beyond repute

two comments:

1. the GDC does have their finger on the pulse of the FIRST community.

3. This update = best update!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:32 PM
Investing in more red & black stuff
AKA: Scooby
FRC #0125 (NUTRONs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
Steven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Donow

While it's a great way to word all of it and to address the situation, it'd be nicer if they actually gave a ruling and would set forth a penalty for some of this stuff. Obviously, there's no way to know if certain "meta-coopertition" strategies actually are those strategies, or if they're just a simple mistake. But they should at least address teams intentionally ramming the cooperititon bridge...

2012 MAR Championship Dean's List Finalist

FRC 223 [2009-2013]: Xtreme Heat- Student; a myriad of positions.
FRC 125 [2013-Present]: NUTRONs - Mentor/College Student
2014 Rhode Island District Event Winners
2014 Northeastern University District Event Winners and Undefeated #1 Seed
2014 Pine Tree District Event Winners and District Chairman's Award Winners!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered ConfUser
AKA: Mark McGivern
FRC #3633 (Catalyst)

Rookie Year: 2011
gyroscopeRaptor has a spectacular aura aboutgyroscopeRaptor has a spectacular aura about

The GDC knows the problems, but we will have to wait until tomorrow to learn if the message was heeded.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:36 PM
On to a new chapter...
AKA: David Givens
FRC #1071 (Team MAX)

Rookie Year: 2010
dag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond reputedag0620 has a reputation beyond repute

Libby K. mentioned it in another form, but I gotta agree this was needed, and the best way to address the situation at hand.

I think we've said it before, by trying to penalize those who break the spirit of the game, we get into a huge grey area that could be more trouble then it's worth.

The GDC has said doing that isn't in the spirit of FIRST, and there basically implying they don't like what happened this past weekend.

I applaud the GDC for their handling of the situation.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:42 PM
AKA: Tom Albert
FRC #0063 (The Red Barons)

Rookie Year: 2002
Tuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legator91 View Post
After what happened last weekend, and the huge argument that took place in the forums here, this was bound to happen. I personally think its a good thing the GDC did this. FIRST is all about gracious professionalism and coopertition, and tipping that bridge, especially after it is already balanced, goes against both of those principles.

If anything the rule will prevent future conflicts, by not allowing teams to sabotage the bridge.
I see no rule in this update. Nor do I see any penalties either.

I am in full agreement that the actions described in the forums are reprehensible. There is no place for them in FIRST. But I still see no way on the books to stop them.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:50 PM
AKA: Ryan Legato
FRC #0067 (HOT Team)

Legator91 is a jewel in the roughLegator91 is a jewel in the roughLegator91 is a jewel in the roughLegator91 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Legator91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba4 View Post

I am in full agreement that the actions described in the forums are reprehensible. There is no place for them in FIRST. But I still see no way on the books to stop them.
That is true. I guess this is more of just FIRST saying they don't approve. Maybe if it continues to be a problem, they will make a specific rule/penalty. At least they are acknowledging the situation.
2009 Michigan State Champs
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 08:55 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuba4 View Post

I see no rules on the books that says we should loan/give parts/expertise to other teams who need them, regardless of how it impacts our own team, just because it's the right thing to do... but it's the right thing to do, so it doesn't need a rule. It is perhaps the absolute best thing about FIRST.
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too! Twice Shy. Blood List. Jade Sky.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:03 PM
Itinerant Programmer
AKA: Hey dad...Father...MARK
FRC #0358 (Robotic Eagles)
Team Role: Engineer

Mark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond reputeMark McLeod has a reputation beyond repute

Character development can't be legislated.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:07 PM
AKA: Tom Albert
FRC #0063 (The Red Barons)

Tuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant futureTuba4 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfreivald View Post
I see no rules on the books that says we should loan/give parts/expertise to other teams who need them, regardless of how it impacts our own team, just because it's the right thing to do... but it's the right thing to do, so it doesn't need a rule. It is perhaps the absolute best thing about FIRST.
You typically don't legislate or codify good behavior. It isn't necessary. Most people or teams already know the right thing to do. But based on last week's problems, clearly some people or teams do not know what should be done here so rules will likely be necessary.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Teh Ha Kid
FRC #0302 (Team 302)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2009
Brian Ha has a spectacular aura aboutBrian Ha has a spectacular aura aboutBrian Ha has a spectacular aura about

I was actually appalled when i heard about the unbalancing. It is definitely not in FIRST's nature and has no part in it as well. If I were to see it happen at one of our events i would blacklist you. Even if you placed higher than us and decided to choose us i might say no. It is something that you just don't do. I don't know what more to say. I'm glad that First addressed it because it definitely needed to be.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 10:13 PM
worse then failing: proving murphy
FRC #1619 (Up-A-Creek Robotics) and FTC # 4633)

Peck will become famous soon enough

I see it as a rule without being a rule. It is a way of saying: "this is not what we want, don't do it" that is perfectly black and white.

Also, I think there is a rule somewhere which penalizes actions not in the spirit of FIRST but I may be remembering a rule from a previous year. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

TEAM 1619
__UP-A-Creek Robotics__
It ain't done till it's over-done

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: