OCCRA
Go to Post That is the ultimate "dream match" that I long to see. If not during the season, maybe we will see it at IRI. :) . - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2012, 03:21 PM
RyanN
AKA: Ryan Nazaretian
FRC #0364 (Team Fusion)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
RyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanN
Re: Team Fusion #364, Bayou Regional, FMS Woes

We ran our robot for 20 minutes in the practice field wirelessly. Made 30/30 shots, and it ran flawlessly. Right in front of one of the FTA. I asked him what he thought and he blamed the robot still.

I'm sorry, we worked for 3 days, completely replaced all the control system, replaced our code with basic drive code. It always worked out of the pit, but never on the field.

I call bullcrap on it being us. I'm an experienced LabVIEW programmer, 4th year computer engineering student, and very knowledgeable in electrical. Our robot is wired and configured properly.

FMS cost us every single match. We never ran a single match without disconnection. We would disconnect at any time. Before the match, during autonomous, or during teleop.

I hope FIRST figures out what's going on, because there is nothing more depressing in FIRST to see your robot go on the field knowing it's not going to work.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2012, 03:32 PM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe totally unrelated, but 176 was immobile for long stretches in finals 2 and 3 at Montreal. They worked in autonomous, then stopped dead for the rest of finals 2; then they worked for autonomous in finals 3 and stopped again for about 20 s.

One of their alliance partners was also having some trouble moving around.

(I'm not in Montreal, so I don't know if there were other underlying reasons.)
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Gearing up for the next round
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg McKaskle View Post
Do you know what setting was not good?

Greg McKaskle
When we had the symptom, we could connect to the radio using a browser but there were *no* settings. Noting, like a broken web page. Weird. We hard-reset the radio and could see settings (but they were default, of course). We compared to a good radio and got the WEP code, entered it all manually, and it worked.

We took our second radio, hard reset it, and got it programmed, and it was good, we could see the settings and all. Tried it in our next match, and both radios were OK after that. Go figure.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimmReaper View Post
I'm also at a loss for what could be the cause of your communications issue. I'd be curoious though if you're able to replicate the same issue in the pits while tethered and running FMS light?

you can find a working fms light installer and info here http://208.82.132.46:81/2009PostSeasonReleaseNotes.ashx

direct link to the download: http://208.82.132.46/download/fmslight.setup.msi

- Jon
The links to FMSlight don't seem to be working does anyone have new ones? I would love to test our control system before our event in two weeks.

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanN View Post
We ran our robot for 20 minutes in the practice field wirelessly. Made 30/30 shots, and it ran flawlessly. Right in front of one of the FTA. I asked him what he thought and he blamed the robot still.

I'm sorry, we worked for 3 days, completely replaced all the control system, replaced our code with basic drive code. It always worked out of the pit, but never on the field.

I call bullcrap on it being us. I'm an experienced LabVIEW programmer, 4th year computer engineering student, and very knowledgeable in electrical. Our robot is wired and configured properly.

FMS cost us every single match. We never ran a single match without disconnection. We would disconnect at any time. Before the match, during autonomous, or during teleop.

I hope FIRST figures out what's going on, because there is nothing more depressing in FIRST to see your robot go on the field knowing it's not going to work.
The difference between the practice field and the competition field is more than just the presence of FMS. The quality of the wireless signal is going to be very different. Minor RFI issues on your robot, such as noisy power or speed controllers mounted too near the D-Link, have the potential to disrupt match communication without being bad enough to show up during practice.

If you have the D-Link mounted adjacent to anything electical, try separating them. I've seen that fix something that sounds like your symptoms on one team. If you get a chance, try looking at the 5v power going to the D-Link using an oscilloscope. Replacing the Power Distribution Board fixed the same symptoms on another team.
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2012, 08:58 PM
AKA: Xavier Eldridge
FRC #4209 (TigerBytes)

Rookie Year: 2009
familyguyfreak is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to familyguyfreak Send a message via Skype™ to familyguyfreak

Several teams were experiencing communication issues with the field, us included. Ours weren't anything nearly close to team Fusion's but we tried everything, switching Ethernet cables, moving the radio up away from motors. We still had comm issues and brought it up with FTA along with another team and gave them a list of teams that were having the same issues. We never heard back from them but we understood that they were extremely busy. We dropped it because we saw that majority of the teams weren't having problems and just assumed it was us.

TigerBytes:
2012-Present: Mentor

#22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-17-2012, 11:33 PM
RyanN
FRC #0364 (Team Fusion)

RyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond reputeRyanN has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by familyguyfreak View Post
Several teams were experiencing communication issues with the field, us included. Ours weren't anything nearly close to team Fusion's but we tried everything, switching Ethernet cables, moving the radio up away from motors. We still had comm issues and brought it up with FTA along with another team and gave them a list of teams that were having the same issues. We never heard back from them but we understood that they were extremely busy. We dropped it because we saw that majority of the teams weren't having problems and just assumed it was us.
I think it has to do with the crowd. Maybe our router is set to a bad channel or something?

FTA let us run our robot Friday night after everyone else left. No one was in the stands, and just a few people were still on the admin table. We ran a full match without any problems at all. We thought we had fixed our problem and packed it up for the night. Came back this morning and we had the first match of the day, and couldn't connect to the field, even while the other 5 robots were off. I think there is too much interference. I'm not sure why we were the only ones affected the entire competition. They just said we had bad network latency and packet loss. We, again, tried 2 different Dlink routers, one was ours, the other was a pit loaner.

So yea, when no one else is near the field, our robot ran fine. With the crowd and everyone working, the robot didn't work.

We were running all PWM, no CAN, no Camera, no closed loop control. Just the basic FRC Robot Framework, with the configuration for our Cypress board, and the basic controls to make our robot work in some fashion. (bare minimum code & it's attached).

What I've ruled out: it's not programming, it's not the cRIO, ethernet, Dlink, power converter, sidecar, NI Modules...

We never replaced our PD board, but replacing it makes no sense. What's the difference with running it wireless at the practice field and running it on the field as far as power is related? Nothing.

Here's our stripped down code. Don't expect anything extravagant at all, it was written & debugged in about an hour, and is meant to be bare minimum.

New Fusion Code (Stripped Down Code).zip

It's not a programming problem. If it was, it wouldn't work in the pit or the practice field, or even the real field when it does work.

It's also not an electrical problem. We stalled our 4 CIMS, got our voltage down to 7V, and no data loss. We shook, dropped, rattled, beat, and kicked our robot during communication, and again, had no loss. We started up our 4 noisy 550 motors for our shooter to full speed, and started our 4 CIMs at full speed, no load to try to create some bad EMI, and again, no loss or problems.

It's not us. I'm not saying it's the field. I think it's an environmental factor, which isn't our fault, but it is the responsibility of the FTA to control environmental factors. They should be sniffing the air for WiFi hotspots... I know there were tons of WiFi networks being shown. Everyone with a smartphone is polling the air. The ultimate question is why just us? Why were we the only team at the Bayou that constantly had communication failures? Is there something the FTA isn't telling us? Do they have equipment on the 10.3.x.x network for some of their stuff? (Would affect Beachbots 330 too). Conspiracy? I have no idea... I know we weren't the only ones having problems, but I do feel we were cheated out of an equal opportunity during the competition.

Team Fusion all left with a sour taste in our mouth, but we'll manage. FTA did not help us at all, and just stuck with blaming our code (attached), and electrical (explained above). All the mentors are on the same page now. We all know it's not us. We were treated equally. FTA was not able to help anyone really with this issue. When other teams had the issue, they just said to check your code and bandwidth as those are the 'common' problems. I'm upset with FIRST about this. I hate to say this, but this was one of the things that the IFI system didn't have. Someone told me today that IFI can hold huge competitions with dozens of robots running at the same time, without any problems, but FIRST cannot run 6 robots at a time. I'm not blaming any single person or organization, but NI & FIRST needs to get this figured out.

We're not blaming any of us on the team. There were many ideas Thursday and Friday, but after today, we're all confident that our robot is not the issue. It was personally hard for me to remain professional through this whole ordeal. A few of our mentors lost their temper, but I understand why. When we spend 3 days replacing, reconfiguring, and fixing our robot and we yield no results, it gets really frustrating.

Last edited by RyanN : 03-17-2012 at 11:44 PM.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-18-2012, 12:13 AM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanN View Post
We never replaced our PD board, but replacing it makes no sense. What's the difference with running it wireless at the practice field and running it on the field as far as power is related? Nothing.
I would normally agree, but replacing the Power Distribution Board did fix the issue for another team having exactly the problem you describe. Yes, it makes no sense. No, there should not be a difference between practice and a competition match.

Consider this: if it's the one thing you haven't changed, and the problem is still there, you can't rule it out.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:29 AM
FIRST Senior Mentor - Louisiana
AKA: Coach Eiland
FRC #3337 (Panthrobotics)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2011
MysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond reputeMysterE has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MysterE

Let me say this about Team Fusion.

I was heart broken that your bot could not compete at the regional. I saw it at the meetup that you hosted at your school and was ready to watch it on the field.

But - at the same time - I have never been so impressed at a team. Team Fusion, even while not being able to move across the field, showed more sportsmanship than any other team at the event. The whole team cheered for everything from their own team being on the field to another team winning an award. They showed gracious professionalism and good sportsmanship throughout the game.

You made me proud to be in FIRST robotics. To see a team that can be having so many problems still be excited about what they are doing is rare. To see a team that - even reaching the quarterfinals remove themselves from the game for the sake of their alliance members is beyond words.

I hope that my team, Panthrobotics, will emulate yours each year. I think most teams have a lot they can learn from yours.
Head Coach - Team #3337
Team Panthrobotics (Woodlawn HS)
Red Stick Rumble Coordinator
2014 Alamo Quarterfinalist and Alliance Captain | Proud Coach of a Bayou Regional Dean's List Finalist (Witni Widmeier)
2012 Bayou Quarterfinalist
2011 Bayou Regional Winner | Judges Award
2010 Rookie Inspiration Award

Run with patience, lead with peace, compete with ambition, and win with grace.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-18-2012, 10:48 AM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterE View Post
Let me say this about Team Fusion.

I was heart broken that your bot could not compete at the regional. I saw it at the meetup that you hosted at your school and was ready to watch it on the field.

But - at the same time - I have never been so impressed at a team. Team Fusion, even while not being able to move across the field, showed more sportsmanship than any other team at the event. The whole team cheered for everything from their own team being on the field to another team winning an award. They showed gracious professionalism and good sportsmanship throughout the game.

You made me proud to be in FIRST robotics. To see a team that can be having so many problems still be excited about what they are doing is rare. To see a team that - even reaching the quarterfinals remove themselves from the game for the sake of their alliance members is beyond words.

I hope that my team, Panthrobotics, will emulate yours each year. I think most teams have a lot they can learn from yours.
True story. Anyone who watched the Alliance pairings at Bayou knows that Fusion was picking as the 8th seed, and they immediately called in a replacement so they wouldn't hamstring their alliance. Just before Alliance pairings, Fusion came by my pit, explained what they were going to do and told me that 57 (ranked 18th) was third on their pick list. And then asked me if that was okay, and if I'd be okay with being picked to be on an alliance where the captain would immediately step down. I told them I'd be happy to be picked by them and work on that alliance, and I mean it. We were first pick for #5, but it would've been an honor to play on that #8 alliance for Fusion.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-18-2012, 11:18 AM
AKA: Daniel
FRC #0364 (Team Fusion)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2010
Captaindan is a jewel in the roughCaptaindan is a jewel in the roughCaptaindan is a jewel in the roughCaptaindan is a jewel in the rough

Still there was no solution to our problem. After having com issues i.e. no driving robot almost every match, changing everything from our crio all wires going to each, the radio, sidecar and all wires to and from each. We even changed the power inverter for the radio, checking all the code settings and then running flawlessly in the pit and wirelesly on the practice field in front of the fta. Which i might add we collected balls with the robot and made 30 out of 32 goals in the top, we drove till we were tired of driving, We were again told there was something wrong with our robot rather than a field issue. On top of it all we were ranked 8th as a result of amazing alliances. We ended up picking deserving teams rather than the next best and dropped out as a result of a lack thereof a diagnosis to our problem.
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-18-2012, 01:03 PM
AKA: Darren
FRC #2992 (The SS Prometheus)

Rookie Year: 2006
sircedric4 has a reputation beyond reputesircedric4 has a reputation beyond reputesircedric4 has a reputation beyond reputesircedric4 has a reputation beyond reputesircedric4 has a reputation beyond reputesircedric4 has a reputation beyond reputesircedric4 has a reputation beyond reputesircedric4 has a reputation beyond reputesircedric4 has a reputation beyond reputesircedric4 has a reputation beyond reputesircedric4 has a reputation beyond repute

We also had communication problems at the Bayou Regional, with similar symptoms as 364 for our last 2 matches on Friday. We had run all day with no issues, and then all of a sudden we would only work during autonomous modes. We talked to the FTA guy and they told us we had lags greater than 500ms and we were dropping 5000 packets during our matches throughout the day. I believe the average for other teams was less than 20 msec lag and less than 50 dropped packets per match.

We were frustrated that our issues just happened out of nowhere after having an undefeated day. It was at this time that we actually started to hear of 364's similar issues. They seemed to have similar symptoms, and we were one of the teams after the day Friday connecting to the FMS to test our system. Everything worked wireless before we bagged and everything worked tethered. It was only at the regional that we had issues. Overnight I was watching this thread and we did some of the recommendations on here. We got back to working Saturday, but we are not exactly sure which of our numerous changes fixed our issue. We didn't have another bridge or cRio to try, but here is what we did do:

1) Ground tested our system to make sure no electricity was being shorted to the chassis.
2) During ground test, discovered one of our banebot 775's had case shorted sometime after inspection. We replaced it with a new one. (And for future applications we have pretty much decided to go FP motors over the 775)
3) Moved our router/bridge to another location on the robot away from all electrical components and motors.
4) Discovered we had our classmate wifi turned on and turned it off
5) Instituted a complete shutdown of the Classmate after each match to ensure nothing was being held in memory and that our smartdashboard wasn't memory leaking us into oblivion
6) Reduced the resolution on our camera to the lowest setting and dropped the framerate to 15 per second
7) Went back over our C++ code and stripped it down, put alot of our smart stuff like dashboard updates and system polling into a slow do loop that only happened 5 times a second. We put everything but the basic drive functions into that slow loop.
8) Made sure the router is on bridge position before match starts in case it shook to another position
9) Did a lot of praying overnight

We had talked to 364 and they had already done all this with their system so we weren't feeling good coming into Saturday morning about our chances. We however were lucky in that one of those things or some combination fixed our robot enough to be able to finish playing the regional. Our lag dropped down to a bad but acceptable 80 msec average and our packets dropped to 100 average.

We are sorry that 364 had bad issues and could never get their robot to communicate with the field. Please know that the knowledge we gathered from you did help another local team to give the Texas alliance a good run for their money in the finals. Thanks for your gracious professionalism, and I personally hope that your future FIRST outings are more rewarding experiences.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-18-2012, 01:10 PM
RyanN
FRC #0364 (Team Fusion)

To get back on topic, I want one specific question answered.

What would make us connect and disconnect before the match even began?

Our configuration for the last match was this:
  • Dumbed down code, no CAN, no PID, just connecting joystick outputs to motors and solenoids.
  • No camera connected

We had trouble maintaining connection to FMS during the pre-match announcements. Why? No EMI, no vibrations, and we know our power is good from testing all the power and connections in the pit. At this point, all of our hardware had been replaced. Our power test consisted of probing voltages when the robot was still, everything came up clean. We then enabled teleoperated, shook, kicked, dropped, rattled the whole robot, and saw no loss of communication, no dropped packets, and no spikes in latency. I'm confident that the power on our robot is in good shape after when I did to the robot during testing. In no case would our robot be subject to the abuse I gave it.

Even more troubling is why it worked Friday night when no one else was in the venue, and why it didn't work Saturday morning when we were still the only one on the field powered up.

So yea, why would we connect and drop before the match even began? It seriously sounds like a crowded WiFi channel or a resource conflict on the FMS side of things.

Last edited by RyanN : 03-18-2012 at 01:16 PM.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM
AKA: Brantley Brokaw
FRC #0364 (TEAM FUSION!!)
Team Role: Leadership

b-rant is a jewel in the roughb-rant is a jewel in the roughb-rant is a jewel in the roughb-rant is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to b-rant

Ryan, did you try switching the wireless channel or downloading a utility to see what wireless channels were being used around a field in a typical match? If switching the channel doesn't work then we just need to start building a Faraday cage around the field I hate that you guys had to go through that this year since the robot looked like a mean machine. Are you guys going to be able to attend any other regionals or was that it?

-Brantley
Team Fusion Captain 2007
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-18-2012, 05:05 PM
i.am.INSPIRED!
AKA: Mr. Lim
FRC #0610 (Crescent Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Mr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond repute

Questions for someone who knows more about the FMS than I:

Is there a way to tether a robot directly to the competition field FMS, and bypass wireless altogether?

That could've helped rule out whether this is a wireless issue vs code, etc.

If someone/something created another wireless network with the same "364" SSID, could that cause similar types of problems?

I know usually someone is charged with monitoring for rogue wireless networks though.

I wish I had more suggestions for you...

In life, what you give, you keep. What you fail to give, you lose forever...
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: