OCCRA
Go to Post Seniors, do you realize this is your last robot season?! - atomikitten [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 01:16 PM
FRC Team 5125 - Mentor
AKA: Sravan S
FRC #5125 (Hawks on the Horizon)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2007
popnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond repute
The Reasons we Continue to be in FIRST

This is my first year as an official mentor to a team (FRC Team 4096, Ctrl-Z), and I got a very different feeling when I went to competition this year. Usually, when I was on a team, I got a feeling of "I'm so pumped, FIRST is so awesome, can't wait to see our team do awesome". This year, I felt "Wow! I'm so proud of my students." and I felt that every single day waking up and going to sleep, standing in the stands and walking around.

So with that in mind, I wanted to start a thread (hopefully there isn't one already, sorry for making it again if there is), that showcases what the reasons are that you continue to be in FIRST. I know we can see this in many of the posts throughout CD, so to make it interesting I want to try and encourage posts to be relatively short and to the point. As minimum background info and straight to the point. I know there are multiple reasons, so feel free to post more than one but try to make it only ONE reason per post. I'm very curious to see what FIRST means to parents, mentors and students and why they're still in FIRST.

Note: If you can't keep it short, that's fine. I'd like to hear it anyways!! And I know it's tough to make it short but I want you to try and put that effort in.

So here's mine as of last night:

Paula, a 9th grader on Ctrl-Z tweeted, after coming back from competition:
Quote:
FIRST has already changed my life, and @CtrlZ4096 too, a change for the better and I don't know where I would be without you guys #omgrobots

FRC Team 5125 Hawks on the Horizon Mentor
FRC Team 4096 Ctrl-Z Former Mentor
FTC Team 5203 #19@! Former Mentor
FRC Team 1403 Cougar Robotics Alumni

Last edited by popnbrown : 03-25-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: changed very very short to relatively. Stories are great, but I want others to make an effort to try to get to the point.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The Reasons we Continue to be in FIRST

Why is it important to you to keep the posts very very short? I didn't know you could put Inspiration on a short leash.

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 01:44 PM
FRC Team 5125 - Mentor
AKA: Sravan S
FRC #5125 (Hawks on the Horizon)

Rookie Year: 2007
popnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, I wanted to see how short they could be. Also I wanted to make this sort of a practice pitch about FIRST, meaning, when you talk to interested parties about FIRST, while we can all drone on and on, it's important to get to the point and tell them the main reason(s) you're interested.

I'm not really opposed to stories (I would love them), so if you really can't make it terribly short, then go ahead and expand.

FRC Team 5125 Hawks on the Horizon Mentor
FRC Team 4096 Ctrl-Z Former Mentor
FTC Team 5203 #19@! Former Mentor
FRC Team 1403 Cougar Robotics Alumni
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Onward through the fog.
FRC #0418 (LASA Robotics/Purple Haze)

JaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond reputeJaneYoung has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by popnbrown View Post
Hmm, I wanted to see how short they could be. Also I wanted to make this sort of a practice pitch about FIRST, meaning, when you talk to interested parties about FIRST, while we can all drone on and on, it's important to get to the point and tell them the main reason(s) you're interested.

I'm not really opposed to stories (I would love them), so if you really can't make it terribly short, then go ahead and expand.
Well, anyone who knows me or has heard of me, knows I fail at elevator pitches and that, if ever there was a wrong thread for me to post in, this one is it.

That said, I'll give it a twitter try:

I continue to participate in FIRST because I continue to be inspired.

Jane

Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.
~ Helen Keller
(1880-1968)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 02:18 PM
FRC #0281

Rookie Year: 2006
mandrews281 is a splendid one to beholdmandrews281 is a splendid one to beholdmandrews281 is a splendid one to beholdmandrews281 is a splendid one to beholdmandrews281 is a splendid one to beholdmandrews281 is a splendid one to behold

I think you might have captured it yourself:

Quote:
This year, I felt "Wow! I'm so proud of my students." and I felt that every single day waking up and going to sleep, standing in the stands and walking around.
As any parent knows, dealing with kids can be a tad frustrating at times, and a team of 30-odd only multiplies that frustration. But then, you're the mentor in charge of the pits and you realize, you're not doing anything but standing back and making sure nothing REALLY bad can happened. Meanwhile the students are prepping the robot for the next match, or coming back from helping another team looking for a needed tool.

Plus, it's heck of a lot of fun.
Team #281 Programming Mentor
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 02:21 PM
AKA: Isaak
FRC #0159 (Alpine Robotics)
Team Role: CAD

Rookie Year: 2003
Hawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to allHawiian Cadder is a name known to all

I continue to participate in first because I don't think my team has a formula to make a winning robot every year. If we did I might not be as interested, because the problem of the build season would be solved.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Woodie Flowers Award
purple
FRC #0051 (Wings of Fire)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Ken Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond reputeKen Patton has a reputation beyond repute

this should be a great thread

.... because it is our way of getting many people excited about something important!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Always Learning
FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2009
kevincrispie is a splendid one to beholdkevincrispie is a splendid one to beholdkevincrispie is a splendid one to beholdkevincrispie is a splendid one to beholdkevincrispie is a splendid one to beholdkevincrispie is a splendid one to beholdkevincrispie is a splendid one to behold

Because of teams' boundless creativity and the pursuit of excellence.

There's so much more to say though...
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)

RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

There is a reason I don't Twitter.

Because I have 11+ years of stories, and these stories usually have nothing to do with building a robot. Some of them are very very funny, some still make me tear up, some are about how you can learn something new every day, a few are about mistakes and people behaving badly and "I am not making this up", and many are about opportunities to make a difference in the world.

There is a common thread of volunteerism, problem-solving and teamwork to most of the stories .
And usually involve a lot of very nice people.
This is How I Work: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2862
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:22 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

For that moment when a girl on our team goes to Peachtree without plans to go to Palmetto (some scheduling conflict), then starts trying to change the plans before we've finished unloading the bus back home.

For that moment where an idea leads to the basis for a champion robot.

For the growth I see in both the students and our mentors. (We work with students at the University of South Carolina, students not much older than the kids themselves. Seeing their progression during their college years is amazing.)

For the moments where opportunity is seized and something amazing results.

For the pig-kissing, the nerd rock bands, the talks until 4:00 AM, the dinners with folks that live thousands of miles away swapping stories, the plays that lead to a "THAT WAS AWE-SOME!" chant.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:39 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Because the team I helped to start in 2001 continues to re-invent itself every year, after numerous inspirations and successes, and in spite of numerous challenges.

Because the team I watched getting off the ground in 2007 just completed the trifecta -- regional winner, RCA, and WFFA at their home event -- also in spite of numerous challenges.

Because the team I helped to start last year has reached high, and performed beyond my expectations, qualifying for the MSC two years straight.

Because three long days of volunteering inspires me to stay late on Saturday, break down the field, and load the truck.

Because of the kids who come back as responsible professionals, inspired and ready to drive the future.

Because I cannot stay away.
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Live everyday like it's your last
AKA: Katie Stevens
FRC #1923 (Midknight Inventors)

Horsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond repute

Because through FIRST i saw my little sister grow into a successful woman

Master of Ceremonies
2011- Brunswick Eruption, Ramp Riot 2012- Hatboro- Horsham District, Rutgers District, New York City, Boston, Lenape District, Mt.Olive District, Monty Madness, BR^2, Ramp Riot, BE 2013- Hatboro- Horsham District, New York City, TCNJ District, Lenape District, Bridgewater Raritan District, MAR Champs, Monty Madness, MidKnight Mayhem, BE 2014- Clifton District, Lenape District, Bridgewater District, NYC Regional, MAR Champs, Monty Madness, Midknight Mayhem

And yes, i do ride horses
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

Because of the freshman who refused to focus on anything, who has since graduated, now calls me by my first name, sends me Father's Day wishes, and works for an FRC supplier.

Because of the timid girl who came to robotics because that's what her boyfriend was doing; she ended up taking PLTW classes, getting a high school internship at Rolls-Royce, is now studying civil engineering and serves on a regional planning committee.

Because of the dozens of stories like this that I have, even though I've only been around FRC since 2006.

Because of the adults who have inspired me, and I'll never get the chance to tell them, so I carry their memories in my heart as I try to spread their messages.

Last edited by Taylor : 03-26-2012 at 08:03 AM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 11:10 PM
AKA: Marc
FRC #0176 (Aces High 176)

MarcD79 is a splendid one to beholdMarcD79 is a splendid one to beholdMarcD79 is a splendid one to beholdMarcD79 is a splendid one to beholdMarcD79 is a splendid one to beholdMarcD79 is a splendid one to beholdMarcD79 is a splendid one to behold

The reason I continue to mentor in FIRST after having 2 sons go through & graduate; I had one of the students who graduated in 2008 contact me & ask if I can help her get in touch with the best possible connection for getting a job interview at Hamilton Sundstrand. I was able to get her the connection she needed & she was so happy. Most of these students who have graduated still keep in contact with me & that makes me feel good. Can I say I've made a difference? Yes!
Connecticut Regional Field setup, disassemble & FTAA 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 (Field reset & Assistant Field Supervisor), Field Reset Pine Tree Regional 2013, Field Supervisor, setup & take-down at Groton & Southington Districts 2014, Field Reset Hartford District 2014. Field Reset Boston District Championship.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2012, 11:18 PM
AKA: Carl Springli
FRC #0020 (The Rocketeers)(EWCP)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
KrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond reputeKrazyCarl92 has a reputation beyond repute

Because the problem solving opportunities offered in FIRST are challenging, fun, inspirational, and I want to share that excitement!

2013 UTC Connecticut Regional Quality Award, Safety Award, and Champions (195 & 95)
2013 WPI Regional Quality Award, Safety Award, and Finalists (2791 & 3182)
2012 Northeast Utilities Connecticut Regional Champions (195 & 181)
2012 BAE Granite State Regional Safety Award
2011 BAE Granite State Regional Finalists (131 & 40)
2010 Newton Division Semifinalists (2757 & 668)
2010 WPI Regional Creativity Award, Coopertition Award, and Champions (228 & 230)
2010 BAE Granite State Regional Excellence in Design Award and Entrepreneurship Award

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: