Go to Post This game is absolutely *NOT* too difficult, but many teams will make it too difficult by biting off more than they can chew. - pfreivald [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2012, 02:10 PM
FRC #3137 (T-Birds)
Team Role: Operator

Rookie Year: 2010
Storm Bissar is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Removing time and score from big screen during elimination matches

Quote:
Originally Posted by PayneTrain View Post
The timer isn't static like the numbers... how does that confuse people?

I know that if I lost score during a match, I would probably go insane. Lots of pressure on the field, and I consider the scoreboard to be my other pair of eyes. How is losing score not considered an FMS fault requiring a match reset?

Also, why not indicate score underneath the timer box on the field in the future? You can't lose that.

Im the operator from 3137, and I was watching the time throughout the day, and the timer worked fine, then during the 2nd match of the finals, the timer across from me by the baskets said 15 seconds for the entire match. Then with about 70 seconds left, the score and time just dissapeared from the big screen.
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-18-2012, 03:03 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson
Re: Removing time and score from big screen during elimination matches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bissar View Post
...the timer across from me by the baskets said 15 seconds for the entire match.
I would consider the failure of the clock to display the correct time a field fault and sufficient reason to sound the foghorn.
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2012, 02:49 PM
FRC #3137 (T-Birds)
Team Role: Operator

Storm Bissar is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive watched some videos, i see that the score and time were on the big screen untill 45 seconds before the end of the game, still too early to take it down, my mistake on that part, but there was still no timer change on the timer across from me, or, from what i could tell from a video that a team member took, any change on the timer on my side.
  #64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2012, 07:55 PM
AKA: Nick
FRC #0527 (Red Dragons)
Team Role: Mechanical

GlassPrison142 is a name known to allGlassPrison142 is a name known to allGlassPrison142 is a name known to allGlassPrison142 is a name known to allGlassPrison142 is a name known to allGlassPrison142 is a name known to all

Thank you for the congratulatory gesture, you and your alliance were a very challenging opponent to play with. With that being said, this is a very alarming action at a regional, and first should look into it. Whether it would have changed the course of the match or not is debatable, it was still a fine performance from the the opposite alliance. As I have said before, team 329, 353, and 3137 were fantastic opponents at SBPLI.
2011 Engineering Excellence at the North Carolina regional
2009 finalist at the SPBLI Long Island regional
2005 winner at the SPBLI Long Island regional

Last edited by GlassPrison142 : 04-29-2012 at 08:07 PM.
  #65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-29-2012, 08:01 PM
AKA: Simon Bohn
FRC #0639 (Code Red)
Team Role: Alumni

Grim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond repute

There was a qualification match on Newton where the score display went down while we were in it. We requested a replay from the head ref, and were told that

"the display is not part of the arena and thus a failure of the screen does not constitute an arena fault"

-Buckeye Regional Champion 2013, 2014
-Newton Division Finalists 2012 thanks to 68 and 330
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 04:38 AM
Mentor, Tactician
AKA: Evan "Numbers" Morrison
FRC #1983 (Skunk Works Robotics) and FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
Nuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond reputeNuttyman54 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Nuttyman54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Tuesday View Post
There was a qualification match on Newton where the score display went down while we were in it. We requested a replay from the head ref, and were told that

"the display is not part of the arena and thus a failure of the screen does not constitute an arena fault"
I saw this happen several times on Newton and once on Curie among the matches that I watched. I think a policy change is needed. In games where they have a true real time scoring setup, there MUST be a way for teams to see the current match scores in order to properly play the game. If FIRST is not providing a score indicator like the timer on the alliance wall, then they need to have some sort of policy regarding the official screen having a score. All teams rely on this during the match, and it does affect the outcome.

I would suggest getting in touch with FIRST HQ/Bill Miller about this, not in terms of an "Our referee shafted us blah blah blah" (because he was correct, it isn't considered part of the official arena currently*), but in terms of expressing to the GDC that future games with real time scoring need to take that into account.

*The manual defines "scorekeeping equipment" as part of the arena, so the argument COULD be made that the score display is part of that, but I don't believe that's what they mean

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
  #67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 12:24 PM
AKA: Nick
FRC #0527 (Red Dragons)
Team Role: Mechanical

GlassPrison142 is a name known to allGlassPrison142 is a name known to allGlassPrison142 is a name known to allGlassPrison142 is a name known to allGlassPrison142 is a name known to allGlassPrison142 is a name known to all

Also if I remember correctly, the timer was removed in the last 30 seconds of the match during our finals with the OP's alliance.
2011 Engineering Excellence at the North Carolina regional
2009 finalist at the SPBLI Long Island regional
2005 winner at the SPBLI Long Island regional

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: