OCCRA
Go to Post We are not the families of competiting robot teams, but we are a family of Gracious and Professionalism, because we know it better than anyone in the world. - wsansewjs [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #151   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Old
AKA: Jack Nowakowski
no team
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
JackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond reputeJackN has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to JackN Send a message via Skype™ to JackN
Re: Einstein 2012

Congrats to 25 on joining the two-time champions club. Congrats to 180 and 16 for finally getting a championship victory.

It is infuriating that all of the communications issues throughout eliminations ruined everything and overshadows their well-deserved victory. I thought going through divisional finals 987, 233, and 207 played the best out of anyone
  #152   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

What are the chances FIRST will refrain from tearing down the Einstein field until such time as they can run a few simulated matches on it? I'd say there's no time like the present to do some failure analysis, and I suspect there's no shortage of teams that would volunteer their robots for the task.

Once the field is gone, the evidence is gone (or at best, tainted), and it will be that much harder to convince people of the root cause.

(Of course, my congratulations to the winners and all of the runners-up.)
  #153   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:17 PM
EWCP
AKA: Shan (pronounced Shawn)
FRC #0612 (Chantilly Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
nahstobor has a reputation beyond reputenahstobor has a reputation beyond reputenahstobor has a reputation beyond reputenahstobor has a reputation beyond reputenahstobor has a reputation beyond reputenahstobor has a reputation beyond reputenahstobor has a reputation beyond reputenahstobor has a reputation beyond reputenahstobor has a reputation beyond reputenahstobor has a reputation beyond reputenahstobor has a reputation beyond repute

From a Member of the GDC in regards to a question regarding the control system/FMS problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etAya...utu.be&t=7m13s

(Please watch the whole video, The link is only to recognize an interesting quote)
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan
  #154   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:18 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
Racer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnishi2011 View Post
It's ironic that the pre-match speeches was about how this is as good as any sporting event, one of the best competitions in the world, and the finals are jeopardized by communications issues. Especially when it's promoting technology.
Its all kinds of embarrassing for FIRST.

They're going to have to answer to it. I don't see how they can not.
  #155   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:23 PM
beep beep beep beep...
FRC #3266 (Robots R Us)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2010
Robby Unruh will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Robby Unruh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnishi2011 View Post
I believe 1629 won it again. It was announced after Chairman's, wasn't it?
This is correct-- GaCo 1629. I think this is their second championship EI win, but I could be wrong.
[Robots R Us #3266]
2014: Crossroads, Queen City, Ohio State Champs, CORI, MVRC, Battle for the Bluegrass
2013: Buckeye, Queen City, Crossroads, CORI, Ohio State Champs, CAGE Match
2012: Buckeye, Queen City, CAGE Match, BPRC
2011: Buckeye, CORI, CAGE Match
2010: Buckeye
  #156   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:24 PM
FRC #3310 (Black Hawk Robotics)

JohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond repute

1717 had the same problems on newton(as did we) and we compared notes. There is no way it wasn't the field. All other indicators were fine, go into auto, come out, no coms.

Utterly embarrassing.
  #157   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:44 PM
Opinionated old goat
AKA: Martin Wilson
FRC #4509 (Mechanical Bulls)

Rookie Year: 2008
martin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond reputemartin417 has a reputation beyond repute

Since the advent of the CrIO in 2009, we have found that if we turned the robot on in the queue (as directed by the FTA and volunteers), prior to the FMS displaying our team number, we had issues 100% of the time. If we waited until we were on the field with our team number displaying on the FMS, before we turned the bot on, we had no issues. This has caused friction between our drive team and the volunteers and the FTA at every regional, but especially this year at North Carolina. Every year, we confirm the behavior in front of the FTA in a practice match that if we turned on in queue, without our team number displayed on the FMS, we have many problems, camera issues, encoder and / or gyro issues, loss of comms, or extremely long delay in connecting to the field.

In 2009, at the recommendation of the FTA, our programmer (who is now a programmer for Sony) used a default robot project (in C++) and tried it on the field with the same result, so it is not our code.

For the record, we always program in C++, and use gyros encoders, cameras, and other sensors every year.
  #158   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 08:44 PM
You cannot not make a difference
FRC #2170

Rookie Year: 2004
Bill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond reputeBill_B has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boe View Post
the other fields have been torn down already
Otherwise they have to pay the handling crew double time for working on Sunday?
  #159   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:12 PM
AKA: Aaron
FRC #1768 (Robo Chiefs)

Rookie Year: 2004
rocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by animenerdjohn View Post
1717 had the same problems on newton(as did we) and we compared notes. There is no way it wasn't the field. All other indicators were fine, go into auto, come out, no coms.

Utterly embarrassing.
You were not alone. Many times have mentioned this same issue, on other fields. We played through two regionals without an issue. Coming to cmp, we dropped coms 3 or 4 matches. 1 was a failure of our own. We log all our data through the match (mostly to check shot speed)...the FTA couldn't find any issue in our system.

We were told every match to turn our robot on early. I loved the IFI system.

A side note, why is Chairman's not announced last anymore? It seems anticlimactic, especially being the biggest award to win.
  #160   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:20 PM
beep beep beep beep...
FRC #3266 (Robots R Us)
Team Role: Coach

Robby Unruh will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Robby Unruh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknthehawk View Post
You were not alone. Many times have mentioned this same issue, on other fields. We played through two regionals without an issue. Coming to cmp, we dropped coms 3 or 4 matches. 1 was a failure of our own. We log all our data through the match (mostly to check shot speed)...the FTA couldn't find any issue in our system.

A side note, why is Chairman's not announced last anymore? It seems anticlimactic, especially being the biggest award to win.
1114 got sideshow seats on the stage to watch the finals. I imagine this just being a special reward-- aside from winning the CCA, of course.
[Robots R Us #3266]
2014: Crossroads, Queen City, Ohio State Champs, CORI, MVRC, Battle for the Bluegrass
2013: Buckeye, Queen City, Crossroads, CORI, Ohio State Champs, CAGE Match
2012: Buckeye, Queen City, CAGE Match, BPRC
2011: Buckeye, CORI, CAGE Match
2010: Buckeye
  #161   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:23 PM
A.K.A. Matthew Ruane
FRC #0207 (Metalcrafters)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Botwoon is on a distinguished road

Does anyone happen to have screencaps of Woody or Dean during the Einstein matches?
  #162   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:26 PM
FRC #3476

Teamcodeorange has much to be proud ofTeamcodeorange has much to be proud ofTeamcodeorange has much to be proud ofTeamcodeorange has much to be proud ofTeamcodeorange has much to be proud ofTeamcodeorange has much to be proud ofTeamcodeorange has much to be proud ofTeamcodeorange has much to be proud ofTeamcodeorange has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknthehawk View Post

We had very similar problems on Archimedes. We died twice, once for the first half of the match, and one for the whole time. I was told by the FTA that it was a problem with our radio. I believed him, but now I am not so sure.
  #163   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Excellence is Bliss
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
AlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond reputeAlecMataloni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botwoon View Post
Does anyone happen to have screencaps of Woody or Dean during the Einstein matches?
I remember watching them shaking their heads in disgust.
  #164   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:43 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
Racer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby Unruh View Post
1114 got sideshow seats on the stage to watch the finals trainwreck. I imagine this just being a special reward-- aside from winning the CCA, of course.
Fixed it for you.
  #165   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:45 PM
Flamewar Initiator
FRC #0907 (E. Y. Cybernetics)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2007
shawnz will become famous soon enough

I'd really like to thank all of the field crew and admin for putting up with the obvious technical difficulties on Einstein. Whether they were really field issues or just coincidence (however unlikely), the show certainly went on. Hopefully by tomorrow everyone's nerves will have calmed and we can start appreciating all 12 teams that made it to Einstein for that fact alone, rather than bicker over who had the most optimal showing.

Regardless, congrats to 25/180/16 for a lovely performance and for taking the 2012 CMP banner!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: