OCCRA
Go to Post Equally possible is that we're just providing some lunch-break entertainment for the people in the GDC. - wasayanwer97 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #181   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:00 PM
FRC #0840 (ART)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
bduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Einstein 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Curtis View Post
For those of you that were there, did the non-moving robots suck the energy out of the competition?
Oh, yeah. It was back a little bit by the finals, but the reactions during and after the semifinals were some of the most muted I've ever heard, a lot quieter than the divisional finals. I even heard some boos after... the replay of SF 2-1, I think?

*generic TBA signature*
  #182   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:02 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2003
Racer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be floored if HQ doesnt post an update on Tuesday directly addressing the shenanigans on Einstein.
  #183   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:03 PM
AKA: Scooby
FRC #0125 (NUTRONs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Steven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Donow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduddy View Post
Oh, yeah. It was back a little bit by the finals, but the reactions during and after the semifinals were some of the most muted I've ever heard, a lot quieter than the divisional finals. I even heard some boos after... the replay of SF 2-1, I think?
From what it seemed, one of the loudest cheers of the evening came when it was after they announced that the bad weather had passed and we were allowed to leave the venue. That says something.

FRC 125 [2013-Present]NUTRONs - Mentor/College Student
  #184   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:04 PM
FRC #0840 (ART)

bduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevend1994 View Post
From what it seemed, one of the loudest cheers of the evening came when it was after they announced that the bad weather had passed and we were allowed to leave the venue. That says something.
The loudest cheer of all was when they announced that they were going to replay the first two matches. The second-loudest cheer was during the replay of SF 2-1 (I think) when all 3 red robots were moving... for about ten seconds.

*generic TBA signature*
  #185   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:04 PM
FRC #0217 (The Thunderchickens)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
Donovan0217 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Curtis View Post
For those of you that were there, did the non-moving robots suck the energy out of the competition?
It did, the matches had the potential to be the best of all this year, but fell short of expectations because of the non-moving bots.
  #186   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:07 PM
A.K.A. Matthew Ruane
FRC #0207 (Metalcrafters)

Botwoon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I definitely heard them. They were entirely justified in my opinion, and that isn't the way it should be.
  #187   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:09 PM
no team

Racer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond reputeRacer26 has a reputation beyond repute

Something tells me the 4 Einstein teams who weren't at IRI last year will get their invites.
  #188   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:14 PM
A.K.A. Matthew Ruane
FRC #0207 (Metalcrafters)

Botwoon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1075guy View Post
Something tells me the 4 Einstein teams who weren't at IRI last year will get their invites.
I can confirm the validity of this statement.
  #189   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:15 PM
AKA: Expo
FRC #1730

Rookie Year: 2007
Chexposito is a glorious beacon of lightChexposito is a glorious beacon of lightChexposito is a glorious beacon of lightChexposito is a glorious beacon of lightChexposito is a glorious beacon of lightChexposito is a glorious beacon of light

That entire sequence of events that occurred on Einstein was hard to watch as a FIRST alumnus. I know myself and several other alumni were very disappoint.
  #190   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:16 PM
The Dark Months of Chief Delphi
AKA: Gregor Browning
FRC #1310 (Runnymede Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chexposito View Post
That entire sequence of events that occurred on Einstein was hard to watch as a FIRST alumnus. I know myself and several other alumni were very disappoint.
As was I, watching my first ever Einstein
FLL 2010 Glen Ames Robotics-Student
FLL 2011-xxxx Glen Ames Robotics-Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Human Player, Driver
FRC 2014-xxxx Team 1310-Mechanical, Electrical, Strategy
Add me on Facebook
<Since 2011 How I came to be a FIRSTer
  #191   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:19 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botwoon View Post
I can confirm the validity of this statement.
Sounds like they already have .
  #192   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:28 PM
AKA: Expo
FRC #1730

Rookie Year: 2007
Chexposito is a glorious beacon of lightChexposito is a glorious beacon of lightChexposito is a glorious beacon of lightChexposito is a glorious beacon of lightChexposito is a glorious beacon of lightChexposito is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor01 View Post
As was I, watching my first ever Einstein
We were going to leave early because of the literal injustice we were watching unfold consistently infront of us (and was blatantly ignored). Of course this was the time the dome was quietly going on lock down due to the weather (we were forced to stay by event security).
  #193   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:30 PM
foote stepped in
AKA: E. Foote
no team

efoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond reputeefoote868 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The loudest cheer of all was when they announced that they were going to replay the first two matches. The second-loudest cheer was during the replay of SF 2-1 (I think) when all 3 red robots were moving... for about ten seconds.
What about when the paper airplanes made it clear across the field?

#194   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:32 PM
AKA: Scooby
FRC #0125 (NUTRONs)

Steven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Donow

Quote:
Originally Posted by efoote868 View Post
What about when the paper airplanes made it clear across the field?
That too...as well as the "waves of varying speed"

FRC 125 [2013-Present]NUTRONs - Mentor/College Student
  #195   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-28-2012, 10:33 PM
AKA: Kevin Dieterle
FRC #1712
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Deetman is a splendid one to beholdDeetman is a splendid one to beholdDeetman is a splendid one to beholdDeetman is a splendid one to beholdDeetman is a splendid one to beholdDeetman is a splendid one to beholdDeetman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominickC View Post
@EricH - As it stands, the IFI system is perfect for running nearly any robotics project that you might want to do. Granted the serial interface is a pain, it's still a fully functional and robust microprocessor. While it won't do what we ask of our cRIO's today, it's earned my respect.

What about the use of an Arduino or similar type microprocessor?
Arduinos are great for what they are: a tool to teach people about electronics, instrument some sensors, make lights blink, and multitudes of other cool things but they are severely limited in both speed and memory to perform advanced tasks. I don't have the datasheets in front of me but I doubt that an Arduino is as powerful as the old IFI system.

That said there are multitudes of microcontrollers (and similar devices) out there that are plenty powerful (ARM, PIC, ATMEL/AVR, Freescale, pick an architecture!). What they don't get you is the "plug and play" features that we get with the cRio and associated tool chains that effectively help level the playing field. Instead of figuring out the low level implementation of say vision processing, we get tool chains that "work" out of the box. Sure there is a lot of fine tuning involved to perfect these out of the box utilities but the implementation is there for any team rookie to veteran to use. That is a huge advantage of the current system.

Where I think we are running in to problems as someone mentioned earlier is that no one understands the system top to bottom, controller to FMS and all the components between like they did in the IFI days. Sure, individual subsystems are well understood and characterized but do they all play nicely together? Is the cRio IP stack (implementation) implementing something that isn't compatible with the D-Link? The D-Link to the cRio? The D-Link to the FMS access point? This is the area that seems a bit grey to me and may be contributing to the unexplained issues. 95%+ of issues are easily explained (loose power connector, bad wiring, loose connection etc.), it is the others that are puzzling and I'm not sure have a known root cause. I'm not saying anything unexplained caused the issues on Einstein, just that there appears to be an underlying issue somewhere that can't be pinned down.

Boiler Up!

Last edited by Deetman : 04-28-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: