Go to Post Hasn't that always been the mission of FIRST? Don't settle for what works; strive for what amazes. - Sam Lipscomb [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#31   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:11 PM
FIRST Senior Mentor Washington
FRC #2046 (Bear Metal)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
Mr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Paper Airplanes!

Again as with the trash outside the lobby area before the concert last year the I feel the blame lies squarely on FIRST and not the teams, students, and mentors. (On that note they did hire an outside company to actively maintain the facility through out the event and there were so many more trash cans through out the facility than last year.)

There was just way too much time spent waiting with nothing to do but watch the videos we had all seen dozens of times between matches. That meant, as many others have noted, that people were going to find ways to entertain themselves whether good or bad.

A couple of simple easy suggestions to have avoided this problem. Instead of replaying that same video loop we had all see so many times how about playing the Chairman's videos from the RCA winners, or instead of the FIRST has talent show being part of the finale have those participants that aren't doing something vital and important to the preparations do whatever their talent is during that waiting time.
  #32   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Always a Midknight Inventor.
AKA: denim's in the genes.
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 1992
Libby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond repute

Before the matches/speakers/awards were fine. Down on the floor, a lot of the VIPs were amused by it. After the matches and speeches start? It was pretty disruptive.

/$0.02
Founder, Captain, Operator, Regional Champion, & proud Alumni. I will always be a MidKnight Inventor.
Continuing my support from 2010 onward, with whatever they ask of me.

2010 to 2013: 229 Division By Zero and 4124 Integration by Parts
Clarkson University Mentor for FLL/FTC, & Lead Mentor for FRC.

-
questions? comments? concerns? | twitter: @libbyk | about.me/libbykamen
  #33   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:49 PM
The hat delivers us.
AKA: Jared341
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute

I actually love the atmosphere in the dome between Division finals and Einstein. You can feel the anticipation. It's dark. People are moving into their seats. Robots are being carted into position. Eerie music. And paper airplanes.
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
All I do is twin.
AKA: elixir
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
Alexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa Stott has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexa Stott Send a message via Skype™ to Alexa Stott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared341 View Post
I actually love the atmosphere in the dome between Division finals and Einstein. You can feel the anticipation. It's dark. People are moving into their seats. Robots are being carted into position. Eerie music. And paper airplanes.
But....recycling!
  #35   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Here comes StuyPulse
AKA: Joe Blay
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute

I think paper airplanes where awesome before the black eyed peas concert last year and they were even better this year. It has become a part of the atmosphere of the dome like Jared said and I think that's awesome. It is my opinion that the sponsors weren't upset to see this but were in fact happy to see it because it shows just how awesome and different the people in FIRST are. All I heard from sponsors and FIRST people mentioning the airplanes was positive. I'm all for gracious professionalism but this competition is about fun and the airplanes are becoming a super fun tradition. I remember looking up and seeing an entire fleet of them raining down onto the lower bleachers, it was just awesome.
2011 CMP 5th Alliance Captains & Quarter Finalists 2011 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 NYC Champions
2008 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2007 NYC Finalists
2006 NYC Finalists
2005 NYC Chairman's
2003 NYC Champions
2002 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2001 NYC Finalists
  #36   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM
The hat delivers us.
AKA: Jared341
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa Stott View Post
But....recycling!
Well when I unfolded one of the paper airplanes that hit me in the back of the head, it was somebody's math homework. I'd call that recycling!
  #37   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Zen Archer
AKA: Senor Mas
FRC #0571 (Team Paragon)

Rookie Year: 1998
MooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond repute

Probably not the only post to make these comments on, but....

This will be remembered as a watershed year for FIRST.

400 teams, 100 per division, matches starting Thursday afternoon, continuing to 8:30 that night, all day Friday, and the usual Saturday with final qualifications and Eliminations.....Our scouting team absolutely burned out. (Fortunately, ranking quite low, we didn't suffer for it. )

Too many teams. Too many matches. Teenagers are very good at creating amusing opportunities for themselves. That is why they are so enlightening to work with and hard to corral at times.

While you can imply a safety risk from the sharp pointy paper nose of the airplanes, the probability of someone, unaware of the plane, facing away from its trajectory, being injured, are lower than a hailstorm during Einstein, jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libby K View Post
Before the matches/speakers/awards were fine. Down on the floor, a lot of the VIPs were amused by it. After the matches and speeches start? It was pretty disruptive.
This pretty much sums up my feelings on the paper airplane issue.

There are things that will change after this year.
There are many intelligent people cogitating on the season.
We will engineer a better solution.

This was a great game this year. The winning alliance were teams with 15, 16, and 17 years in FIRST. The universe conspired and after all is said and one, the result was inspiring.
  #38   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:06 PM
AKA: Marissa
FRC #3574 (High Tekerz)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
dictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to alldictionaria13 is a name known to all

This was my first year going to Championships (though teammates had gone last year), and I thought the paper airplanes were really cool. I can understand the safety concerns, but we were getting bored (and some people on my team were falling asleep during speeches, mostly from sleep deprivation) and the paper airplanes at least entertained us. (I wish there would have been room to dance, but apparently dancing during the downtime between matches is a Pacific Northwest thing.)
  #39   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:07 PM
AKA: Dave Edwards
FRC #1310 (Runnymede Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
de_ is a jewel in the roughde_ is a jewel in the roughde_ is a jewel in the roughde_ is a jewel in the rough

Anyone know why there was such an enormous delay between the completion of the divisional championship and the finals ? An hour and half plus I believe. That was the root cause of the escalating infestation of airplanes.

Unfortunately Murphies law guarantees that someone will eventually be hit in the eye with one. Are we going to have to issue safety glasses for spectators ?

I was apparently in a sweet spot in the stands and got hit at least a dozen times. So often I was shielding my camera for its protection. While I was waiting I was trying to figure out the probability of me being hit once, never mind a dozen times in 90 minutes given the tens of thousands of spectators

Seriously FIRST, work on reducing the delay!
UPDATE: Thanks for the explanations the followed. I have to wonder if FIRST is violating the KISS principle. Too many things have to go right for the finals to start on time.

Last edited by de_ : 05-01-2012 at 02:39 PM.
  #40   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:25 PM
FRC #0340 (G.R.R.)

Rookie Year: 2005
Joohoo is just really niceJoohoo is just really niceJoohoo is just really niceJoohoo is just really niceJoohoo is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Joohoo Send a message via Yahoo to Joohoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_ View Post
Anyone know why there was such an enormous delay between the completion of the divisional championship and the finals ? An hour and half plus I believe. That was the root cause of the escalating infestation of airplanes.
I think I can answer this, GRR was traveling with an FLL team and I was running back and forth from their awards ceremony and the dome. The FLL awards ceremony was very late in finishing according to the schedule. This seemed to be the reason for the delay because the FRC awards/einstein started about 10/15 minutes after FLL ended.
  #41   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:43 PM
FRC #0088

agamemnon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_ View Post
Apparently when the lights went dim at about 4, that wasn't them about to start on time, that was some of the power going out because of the storm outside. Because of that, they lost things like the NASA stream, and had to spend an hour getting everything working again, causing them to start an hour after they were supposed to. What was supposed to be about an hour break turned into a 2 hour one because of the weather.
  #42   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Professional Peon
AKA: Max Vrany
FRC #1306 (BadgerBOTS)
Team Role: Electrical

cgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared341 View Post
Well when I unfolded one of the paper airplanes that hit me in the back of the head, it was somebody's math homework. I'd call that recycling!
My teammate who was next to me did use old math homework to make paper airplanes. We were in front of the stage.

2013 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award
2012 FIRST Championship Archimedes Division

2012 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award (Lead Mentor Ben Senson), Semi-Finalist (1732/1714)
2011 Wisconsin Regional Innovation in Control Award
  #43   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Professional Peon
AKA: Max Vrany
FRC #1306 (BadgerBOTS)
Team Role: Electrical

cgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant futurecgmv123 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by agamemnon View Post
Apparently when the lights went dim at about 4, that wasn't them about to start on time, that was some of the power going out because of the storm outside. Because of that, they lost things like the NASA stream, and had to spend an hour getting everything working again, causing them to start an hour after they were supposed to. What was supposed to be about an hour break turned into a 2 hour one because of the weather.
Places like the Edward Jones Dome typically have standby generators in the event of power outages. Also, as I recall, they only started about 10 minutes after 4.

2013 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award
2012 FIRST Championship Archimedes Division

2012 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award (Lead Mentor Ben Senson), Semi-Finalist (1732/1714)
2011 Wisconsin Regional Innovation in Control Award
  #44   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 02:13 PM
Scapegoat Mentor
FRC #2614 (MARS)

Rookie Year: 2008
Alex2614 is a splendid one to beholdAlex2614 is a splendid one to beholdAlex2614 is a splendid one to beholdAlex2614 is a splendid one to beholdAlex2614 is a splendid one to beholdAlex2614 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Alex2614

Come on, people. Does everybody really have to rant, rave, and analyze EVERYTHING that goes on at FIRST? I just can't help but laugh when I see threads like this. I think people need to just lighten up. Paper airplanes in a classroom or venue like that are disrespectful. And, yes, throwing them during speeches is also somewhat disrespectful. But throwing them to entertain themselves during the 45 minute layover?

I actually think that if anything, people will look at that behavior (as I did) as an awesome example of robotics kids' enginuity and creativity. Trying to figure out the best way to overcome the down draft of the upper level seats and make them fly straighter. Trying to figure out the best designs and kind of make a competition out of it across the dome.

The paper airplanes are a perfect example of why I love FIRST. I may not be as into math and science as most FIRST kids, but I am still inspired by it and it makes me smile. I think it helped uplift the spirits for a lot of people.

Now seriously, stop analyzing and critiquing every little thing. It doesn't matter. If there was a serious attitude and behavior and respect problem as a whole on the part of FIRST students at CMP, that is the time to post a thread and talk about it.

P.S. I'm not trying to be mean or disrespectful. This is just a prime example of why I rarely come to ChiefDelphi anymore.
2014 Smoky Mountains Regional - Chairman's Award, Champions, Entrepreneurship Award, Gracious Professionalism Award, Dean's List Finalist Award (Congrats Emily!)
2014 Palmetto Regional - Gracious Professionalism Award, Creativity Award, Finalists
2013 FIRST Championship - Entrepreneurship Award
2013 Smoky Mountains Regional - Engineering Inspiration Award, Entrepreneurship Award, Quarter-Finalists
2013 Pitt Regional - Entrepreneurship Award, Semi-Finalists, Dean's List Finalist Award (Congrats Nathan!)
2012 IRI - 16th seed
2012 FIRST Championship - Woodie Flowers Award (Congrats Earl Scime!)
2012 Pitt Regional - Champions, Innovation in Controls Award
2012 NC Regional - Chairman's Award, Finalists
  #45   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 02:30 PM
1986: It's a team #, not a year.
AKA: Paul Shackelford
FRC #1986 (Team Titanium)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future1986titans has a brilliant future

This has been going on for years. It's bound to happen with enough height and thousands of students interested in engineering. I remember it happening in Georgia. Why is it an issue now? I can see sharp corners from heavy cardstock or doing it while people are talking being a couple of poor choices, but other than that all I can see is kids trying to have a bit of fun.

You may have noticed more paper airplanes this year due to the length of Einstein (My family left after Curie was over, drove 4.5 hours through storms and we still got home in time to watch the final match, so that's what I'm basing the length of Einstein on.). You can't simply expect everyone to sit still that long.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: