OCCRA
Go to Post I don't think Dean Kamen ever recieved a real degree. That doesn't make him any less of an engineer.:) - Adam Y. [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#61   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Palouse Area Robotics Team
AKA: Dave Tharp
FRC #4061 (SciBorgs)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
SciBorg Dave is a name known to allSciBorg Dave is a name known to allSciBorg Dave is a name known to allSciBorg Dave is a name known to allSciBorg Dave is a name known to allSciBorg Dave is a name known to all
Re: 2012 Lessons Learned :The Positive

As a rookie mentor on a rookie team, I was over come with all the emotion at our Regional (week 6 was a long wait). I was very inspired by Thursday " no robot left behind" done by all teams working as one large functioning group to better everyone. This is not what I grew up with coaching sports teams. Rookie team 4061 is still on fire with the ideas of FIRST.
  #62   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

Vision targets were implemented well this year. Having multiple, large, basic shapes made vision a manageable task.
  #63   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:26 PM
uh, should that be smoking?
AKA: Ben Thorsgard
FRC #0876 (Thunder Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2005
BJT has a reputation beyond reputeBJT has a reputation beyond reputeBJT has a reputation beyond reputeBJT has a reputation beyond reputeBJT has a reputation beyond reputeBJT has a reputation beyond reputeBJT has a reputation beyond reputeBJT has a reputation beyond reputeBJT has a reputation beyond reputeBJT has a reputation beyond reputeBJT has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Anderson View Post
Many cheers for the smooth-scrolling ranking displays!
Amen to that!!
  #64   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:47 PM
enjoying retirement
AKA: Mike D is FTG too
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Triple B has a brilliant futureTriple B has a brilliant futureTriple B has a brilliant futureTriple B has a brilliant futureTriple B has a brilliant futureTriple B has a brilliant futureTriple B has a brilliant futureTriple B has a brilliant futureTriple B has a brilliant futureTriple B has a brilliant futureTriple B has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Anderson View Post
Many cheers for the smooth-scrolling ranking displays!
I will second this, but it should have scrolled from 100th seed to first seed with the 30 second freeze frame containing the top seeded teams, just a thought.
mike d
  #65   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Registered ConfUser
AKA: Mark McGivern
FRC #3633 (Catalyst)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
gyroscopeRaptor has a spectacular aura aboutgyroscopeRaptor has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
I will second this, but it should have scrolled from 100th seed to first seed with the 30 second freeze frame containing the top seeded teams, just a thought.
mike d
Hm, this might make looking at the screen much more exciting!

I will give first a lot of credit for the field test info videos. They are much better laid out than Dean and Woodie's field tour, give facts and figures that teams need (try searching here on CD for tube height from last year), and are easily available online. Do more of them next year! (Maybe we will see part one?)
  #66   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:21 PM
AKA: Karlis Musa
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
kmusa is just really nicekmusa is just really nicekmusa is just really nicekmusa is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyroscopeRaptor View Post
Hm, this might make looking at the screen much more exciting!

I will give first a lot of credit for the field test info videos. They are much better laid out than Dean and Woodie's field tour, give facts and figures that teams need (try searching here on CD for tube height from last year), and are easily available online. Do more of them next year! (Maybe we will see part one?)
I agree - the video info clips were great. Though our experience was that the practice field bridges at regionals (didn't have a chance to check at championships) didn't quite behave as the video described - they took slightly less force. And the competition bridges "appeared" to take more. If FIRST is going to go to the effort of documenting expected behavior, there should be some way to confirm that the actual field behavior is consistent.

I can't condone one team mentor check bridge loading early one morning at the DC regional, but a mechanism to confirm that game elements are behaving as documented would be useful.
"A society without contrasting ideas will never move forward; however those contrasting ideas must be based on fact, must be rational/logical, and must be presented in a respectful manner." -Arthur Dutra IV

"If the district can spend $1.5M on turf, it should be able to fund a FRC team." -Sophie Halter
  #67   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-03-2012, 09:35 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

Rookie Year: 2001
pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmusa View Post
I agree - the video info clips were great. Though our experience was that the practice field bridges at regionals (didn't have a chance to check at championships) didn't quite behave as the video described - they took slightly less force. And the competition bridges "appeared" to take more. If FIRST is going to go to the effort of documenting expected behavior, there should be some way to confirm that the actual field behavior is consistent.
I said this before but it's worth saying again, because it's bitten us more times than I'd care to admit:

In FIRST, assume all values are nominal.
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #68   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 09:16 AM
FRC #0365 (MOE)

Carol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond reputeCarol has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=IKE;1165694]

With 1114 winning the Chairman's Award, a lot of myths were "busted". Yes an international team can win. No you don't need a team of 100 students (I think 1114 is around 24). Yes field competitive teams are role models too.

QUOTE]

This is a myth still. Most HOF teams have teams in the 25-40 range. And many have had much success on the field as well.

MOE 2007 Chairman's Video by MOE video team and Paul Lazarus http://moe365.org/CHMN_AWD_video_2008.php
MOE 10-Year Video Celebration on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETcSMUBUqEs
  #69   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Raptors can't turn doorknobs.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

1. The game was exciting.

2. The game was fun.

3. The game was easy to watch.

4. The robots will be great demo bots.

5. Championships was a blast, despite the problems encountered.

I could go on an on. The negative list will always overwhelm the positive, because negative events tend to stick in people's minds. Regardless, I had a great time at Champs! We're already talking about changes to make on the robot for the off season
  #70   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Raptors can't turn doorknobs.
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)

Tom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond reputeTom Line has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bottiglieri View Post
Vision targets were implemented well this year. Having multiple, large, basic shapes made vision a manageable task.
We didn't implement multiple target lock until just before MSC. It made a huge improvement in our vision ability.
  #71   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:33 AM
[Mass x Acceleration] be with you!
AKA: Princess Leia
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
torihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant futuretorihoelscher has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to torihoelscher

I liked that the fields were in the Dome this year and it was easier to scout instead of moving back and forth from the Dome to the Convention Center.

I also liked that they had other concessions there other than the boxed lunches.

I also liked that they had the Baseball game, which was super cool. I never been to a Cardinals game so it was pretty awesome. (My team didnt go, but the option was AWESOME)

The finale party at the City Museum was cool because they Recycled stuff to make a playground which was awesome!

I liked the atmosphere better this year than last year.

I think this thread should definitely be longer than the Negative.

LETS DO THIS! LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRROYY JENKINSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

FLL
FTC
FRC

"May the [mass x acceleration] be with you"
"Aren't you a little short to be a storm trooper?"

Alumni of Team 79 Krunch.
  #72   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-06-2012, 01:07 PM
FRC #2930 (Glacier Peak Robotics - The TaterBotz)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2005
Jin Hayashi is an unknown quantity at this point

There were many things that I liked about this year's game:

I liked that real time score during matches didn't make us wait until after the end of a match to know the winner.

Penalties points added to the other alliance score helped eliminated many of the 0-0 matches.

Coopertition bridge really changed the game by making working with other teams extremely important during matches.
  #73   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Award's lead and strategy member
AKA: Denis
FRC #4334 (Alberta Tech Alliance)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2012
hiyou102 has much to be proud ofhiyou102 has much to be proud ofhiyou102 has much to be proud ofhiyou102 has much to be proud ofhiyou102 has much to be proud ofhiyou102 has much to be proud ofhiyou102 has much to be proud ofhiyou102 has much to be proud of

What I liked about this year is the quality of the events. Although I have never attended events prior to this year, the events seem to look better than previous years judging by videos of past years. It seem that everything from the scoring system, to the commentating, to the camerawork seems to be better this year.
2013 Western Canadian FRC Regional Chamipions
2014 Western Canadian FRC Regional Chamipions
2014 Western Canadian FRC Regional Chairman's Award Winners

2014 Chairman's Award video
2014 reveal video
  #74   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:22 AM
Go Spartans!
FRC #0971 (Spartan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2009
Scott Bahl is a glorious beacon of lightScott Bahl is a glorious beacon of lightScott Bahl is a glorious beacon of lightScott Bahl is a glorious beacon of lightScott Bahl is a glorious beacon of light

I thought the GDC nailed the bridge dimensions.

The length of the bridge was such that a triple balance was difficult but not unreasonable
  #75   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-07-2012, 06:22 AM
Ambitious but rubbish!
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Peter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond reputePeter Matteson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Bahl View Post
I thought the GDC nailed the bridge dimensions.

The length of the bridge was such that a triple balance was difficult but not unreasonable
That's a really good point. They must have looked at quite a bit to calculate out that length to make it something you had to really design for.

2009 Newton Division Champions w/ 1507 & 121
2008 Archimedes Division Champions w/ 1124 & 1024
2007 Championship Winners/Newton Division Champions w/190, 987 & 177 The Wall of Maroon
2006 Galileo Division Champions w/ 1126 & 201
www.bobcatrobotics.org
"If you can't do it with brains, it won't be done with hours." - Clarence "Kelly" Johnson

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: