Go to Post ...there's nothing worse than a problem you can't solve because you don't even know about it. - Dave Flowerday [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:34 AM
No Resistance. Absolute Power.
FRC #3941 (Absolute Zero Electricity)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2012
Programmer3941 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rookie Team needs programming help

I'm part of an ex-rookie team(3941), and all of our programming was done in Labview, by one person who has now graduated. Now we have to figure out what programming language to use.

Hear is our situation
C++: probably not

Labview: I do not know very much labview, but what I did learn from last year seemed fairly easy. There was also a lot of stuff already set up for FIRST. However, I did not really like the graphic format, and the code took forever to download.

Java: I know java, but do not know how to program a robot with it. There seems to be much less stuff already set up for FIRST. I like java, and would use it, but it seems much harder to get started with.

Any help much appreciated!
http://frc3941.com

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Vision tracking is fun!
AKA: Sam Carlberg
FRC #1687
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
Djur will become famous soon enough
Re: Rookie Team needs programming help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Programmer3941 View Post
I'm part of an ex-rookie team(3941), and all of our programming was done in Labview, by one person who has now graduated. Now we have to figure out what programming language to use.

*snip*

Java: I know java, but do not know how to program a robot with it. There seems to be much less stuff already set up for FIRST. I like java, and would use it, but it seems much harder to get started with.

Any help much appreciated!
Seeing as you're already familiar with Java, I assume you already have Netbeans. If you don't, just go here to download it.

WPI supplies a good document for getting started with Java. Page 5 tells you how to install the FRC plugins, which allow you to create new FRC-specific projects. You should also check out Brad Miller's video tutorials on YouTube to help learn the basics of Java-based robot programming.

Hope this helps!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2012, 09:09 AM
Gary Dillard's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generator of Entropy
AKA: you know, the old bald guy
FRC #2973 (The Mad Rockers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Gary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Gary Dillard

If you'd like to stick with LabView, you may be able to find a mentor from the local LabView Users group; there is one that meets about an hour away in Columbia that may draw from Aberdeen. Here are their websites:

https://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/nicommidatlantic

http://www.minkhollowsystems.com/WALUG.html

All of our software mentors are members of the local Users group and found out about FIRST and our team through it. Maybe you could give a presentation at one of their meetings to promote FIRST and see if you can recruit someone.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2012, 06:50 PM
VP of Programming, Driver
AKA: David Donahue
FRC #2996 (Cougars Gone Wired)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
blackflame2996 is a name known to allblackflame2996 is a name known to allblackflame2996 is a name known to allblackflame2996 is a name known to allblackflame2996 is a name known to allblackflame2996 is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to blackflame2996

we have found LabVIEW to be ideal for our team, as a result of it enabling the members of our team who are interested in programming, but have no C or Java background, to do so. If you and the other programmers are comfortable with Java, the WPI library is easy to pick up, so I would recommend going Java. Otherwise, if the bulk of the programmers on your team are not comfortable with text-base, go LabVIEW.
2013 Regional Chairman's Award
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2012, 07:12 PM
Robots don't quit, and neither do I
AKA: Leeland
FRC #1405 (Finney Falcons)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2005
LeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond repute

As a student who was on a team who cycled through 3 different programming languages over a few seasons, I may be able to offer a little insight, especially on switching to Java.

First of all, if you're comfortable with Java, use Java. If you feel that, after evaluating Java for FRC purposes, then you have two options:
-Learn C++. It's somewhat similar to Java, albeit some key differences. More or less, if you can program in Java, learning C++ will be less of a challenge. That's from personal experience. I haven't looked, but I've also been told several times (by mentors trying to get us back to C++) that C++ is also much more supported for FRC. So that's an option.
-Look at your previous year's Labview code. Try to learn it, make sense of it, etc. I don't know how documentation in Labview works, but if it is properly documented, that should be quite a learning experience. If it's not properly documented... that could be quite a task.

Now, if you decide you'd like to stick with Java, there are another few things I can suggest:
-Look for teams who have posted Java code online. If nothing else, you should be able to better understand how Java works in terms of FRC.
-Practice by converting your old Labview code to Java. 1126 did that in 2010 I believe, converting our 09' bot (Labview) to Java. That has long since passed, with the dismantling of the 09' bot, but it could be a great experience for you and anyone you do it with.
-Make sure you know the basics of Java in general FIRST. That'll make things go over a little smoothly. That's just a general rule, though.

I hope these help. The most basic thing I can suggest is think your decision through. Look over all the basis you have, consider all your option.

I want to change everything. I want to revolutionize FIRST. If only, one team, and one day, at a time.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

One of the first documents I send to students interested in Java for FRC was posted in this thread.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85836&highlight=new+programming+m anual

v9 is the latest I think, posted on post #24 of that thread.

It's a bit out dated now, but is still a very nice introduction to a lot of aspects of programming FRC robots in Java.

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-17-2012, 11:39 PM
Driving it like I stole it.
AKA: Parker
no team

TheNightviz is an unknown quantity at this point

If your looking for some examples for a Java based bot here is a link to my teams code for this year!

http://code.google.com/p/first-robot...2Fnurdrobotics

Also we are completely rewriting the code in a different (and much simpler) form which we will soon be releasing on the same link provided. Hope this helps and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Programming and Arduino Mentor
AKA: Gustave Michel
FRC #3468 (MAGNAtech)
Team Role: Mentor

gixxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to gixxy

Based on what you say, Java is probably the best bet. It will be easier for you to code in and probably easier to get others who can handle it into the language as well. (because you know it already, not because it is just easy, although as far as programming languages go, Java is fairly easy)

Its not complicated at all really, its a Java library just like any other.

Here is our Java code from this year(we were rookies when we wrote it, and only I had any experience in Programming [in PHP]): https://github.com/frc3946/ReboundRumble
2014 - 3468 - Programming Mentor
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:59 AM
No Resistance. Absolute Power.
FRC #3941 (Absolute Zero Electricity)

Programmer3941 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Rookie Team needs programming help

This was so helpful, your code is so well documented!
http://frc3941.com

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-24-2012, 11:22 PM
The Dark Months of Chief Delphi
AKA: Gregor Browning
FRC #1310 (RUNNYMEDE ROBOTICS)

Gregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond reputeGregor has a reputation beyond repute

reported
FLL 2010 Glen Ames Robotics-Student
FLL 2011-xxxx Glen Ames Robotics-Mentor
FRC 2012-2013 Team 907-Scouting Lead, Strategy Lead, Human Player, Driver
FRC 2014-xxxx Team 1310-Mechanical, Electrical, Strategy Co-Captain
Add me on Facebook
<Since 2011 How I came to be a FIRSTer

Last edited by Gregor : 06-25-2012 at 09:24 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: