OCCRA
Go to Post Everyone needs to please stop now before Karthik starts singing. - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2012, 02:29 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory
Re: Found Source: 3/8" 7075 Hex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Adams View Post
It was coast aluminum, and it wasn't even remotely close to fitting. Hit it on the belt sander, files, still no go. Nothing short of milling it to size worked. I was pretty shocked, especially considering I've never had any issues with their bar stock or plate. Couldn't find any specified tolerances either.
Sorry, meant to say that the 7075 RC is getting is likely in the range of +.002.

Your hex was probably extruded. When we first bought our 7075 hex, I remember the tolerance on extruded being +.009/-0 and cold formed being the .002.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:32 PM
AKA: Scott Meredith
no team
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2009
scottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to post in the last thread, but apparently it had to be approved by a moderator since I had a link to a website in the post. Guess it never got approved.

It seems like Yarde Metals carries 7075-T6 Hex Bar in 0.375" and smaller. No tolerance listed, but I'm sure you could give them a call. A lot of people online seem to buy from them with no issue - the "drop zone" surplus is often pretty cheap.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:34 PM
AKA: Scott Meredith
no team

Rookie Year: 2009
scottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond reputescottandme has a reputation beyond repute

Link:

https://www.yarde.com/catalog/cat296.html
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2012, 04:51 PM
2014... Hella Parts
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandme View Post
I tried to post in the last thread, but apparently it had to be approved by a moderator since I had a link to a website in the post. Guess it never got approved.

It seems like Yarde Metals carries 7075-T6 Hex Bar in 0.375" and smaller. No tolerance listed, but I'm sure you could give them a call. A lot of people online seem to buy from them with no issue - the "drop zone" surplus is often pretty cheap.
Cory is correct, It will be Cold Form 7075.

Scott,

I just shot them an email and I'll follow up with them. If teams can get the 7075 here:

https://www.yarde.com/catalog/cat296.html

It would make our lives a lot easier. I'm following up with them and will report back here. I remember calling them a few months ago, their Ohio office, and they said they don't carry it. I must've called for the wrong item or gotten the wrong sales rep!

They also have: 1/4" - 5/16" - 3/8" and 1/2" in stock. The 3/8" and smaller would be really nice!

-RC

Last edited by R.C. : 08-01-2012 at 04:59 PM.
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandme View Post

I put in an RFQ with them so we'll see what they say.

If you base it on websites and catalogs, there are 50+ places that have the hex... but when you go to order, it's out of stock, or they have to check, so on and so on. Eventually they tell you they're pretty sure they don't carry it anymore and have no current plans to reorder...

I've been hunting diligently for this since December, and I know RC has as well.

Like us on Facebook!

2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Simplicity by Design...
AKA: Tim Miedzinski
FRC #0836 (The RoboBees) & FRC401(Hokie Guard)

tim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant future

I would be interested in some 10+ feet, depending on the price.
2011 Chesapeake Regional Chairman's Award
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:36 PM
2014... Hella Parts
AKA: Owner, WestCoast Products
FRC #1323 (MadTown Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
R.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond reputeR.C. has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamHeard View Post
I put in an RFQ with them so we'll see what they say.

If you base it on websites and catalogs, there are 50+ places that have the hex... but when you go to order, it's out of stock, or they have to check, so on and so on. Eventually they tell you they're pretty sure they don't carry it anymore and have no current plans to reorder...

I've been hunting diligently for this since December, and I know RC has as well.
Similar to what Adam said. We've been looking since December. I got an email back from the Yarde Metal:

REGARDING YOUR INQUIRY FOR THE 7075 HEX. WE MUST REGRET AT THIS TIME AS WE DO NOT STOCK 7075 HEXES.

THANK YOU FOR THE INQUIRY

BARB AT YARDE

I also called and they said that their catalog is out of date and they have no interest in stocking 7075 Hex.

We will be putting an order in for 3/8 Hex if nothing else pops up in a week. Please do continue posting.

Also the tolerances are exactly what Cory spec'd. We will be getting cold formed 7075-T6.

Thanks,

-RC
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.C. View Post
Similar to what Adam said. We've been looking since December. I got an email back from the Yarde Metal:

REGARDING YOUR INQUIRY FOR THE 7075 HEX. WE MUST REGRET AT THIS TIME AS WE DO NOT STOCK 7075 HEXES.

THANK YOU FOR THE INQUIRY

BARB AT YARDE

I also called and they said that their catalog is out of date and they have no interest in stocking 7075 Hex.

We will be putting an order in for 3/8 Hex if nothing else pops up in a week. Please do continue posting.

Also the tolerances are exactly what Cory spec'd. We will be getting cold formed 7075-T6.

Thanks,

-RC
I got the same response this morning to doubly verify.

Like us on Facebook!

2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2012, 05:13 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute

I'd take 10 feet if it's cheap enough (less than $40 to my door).
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Purchase Cree LED Bulbs from the Team 696 Online Store
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Coach / Teacher
FRC #0701 (Robovikes)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Doug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond reputeDoug G has a reputation beyond repute

I too would get 10', keep us posted.
2013 Colorado Creativity Award Winner
2013 Sacramento Regional Winner (thanks to 2489 and 3189)
2013 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration Winner
2013 Central Valley Quality Award Winner

#26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:04 PM
mechanical engineer
AKA: Todd Ferrante
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)

Rookie Year: 2011
ToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond repute

2363 wants some, too.
Todd F.
video channel
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:13 PM
FRC #0829 (Digital Goats)

IndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond reputeIndySam has a reputation beyond repute

The Goats would buy a good chunk depending on price.

2012 Boilermaker Engineering Excellence Award
2010 Boilermaker Rockwell Innovation in Control Award.
2009 Buckeye J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2009 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2008 Boilermaker J&J Gracious Professionalism Award
2007 St Louis Regional Winners
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:34 PM
Going full circle
AKA: Josepher
FRC #5400 (Team WARP)

Rookie Year: 2007
Joe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joe G.

1687 would be interested as well, probably in 8+ feet.

2007-2010: Student, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2012-2014: Technical Mentor, FRC 1687, Highlander Robotics
2015-???: Lead Mentor, FRC 5400, Team WARP

http://wordsaboutrobots.blogspot.com/, the place where I make words about making robots. Updated 7/30.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:41 PM
FRC #3138 (Innovators)

Rookie Year: 2010
Mr. Mike is a name known to allMr. Mike is a name known to allMr. Mike is a name known to allMr. Mike is a name known to allMr. Mike is a name known to allMr. Mike is a name known to all

I checked with Industrial Metal today. The salesman told me that Alcoa has stopped producing small hex. They where the only US manufacture.

R.C. if you do get the mill run there should be plenty of demand for it.

Another thought would be to contact FIRST and see if this might be an item for FIRST Choice.
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Engineering Program Management
VRC #8081 (STEMRobotics / DEWBots)

Rookie Year: 2005
Foster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond reputeFoster has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndySam View Post
The Goats would buy a good chunk depending on price.
Cool, now we can start FRC future trading. CIM motors now at, CIM motors December price is +10%, January pricing is +22%. Same for 3/8 Hex. December + 15%, overnight ship 30%> Bid and ask prices!!

Ok, just kidding, got caught up working on my 401(k) for retirement. I'm in for 10' I have a project I'm working on. But I have to give you credit on your willingness to put about a mile of us together in your purchase. Cool thing about CD, you can do that. Cool thing on your Coopertition that you would do that! Thanks!
-2012 - Gateway World Championship - Amaze, Energy and Community Awards --- PSU Firefight - 1st, 2nd Junior Division & 2 Design Awards
-2011 - Round Up World Championship - Think, Teamwork and Excellence Awards -- PSU Firefight - 1st, 2nd, 3rd Junior Division & 3 Design Awards - KTOR College Excellence Award
-2010 - Mentor of the Year - VEX Clean Sweep World Championship --- VEX Champion, VEX Swept Away at IRI --- PSU Firefight 2nd & 3rd Junior Division
Downingtown Area Robotics Web site and VEXMen Team Site come see what we can do for you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: