OCCRA
Go to Post Maybe FIRST will just take 148's Tumbleweed and use it as the game piece for next year. - AndyB [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > ChiefDelphi.com Website > CD Forum Support
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2001, 05:55 PM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung
Question Potential confusion from this forum

I am just wondering, how exactly can I tell if I read a message or not?
The reason I ask is because back in the days with threads, I would be clicking each individual message to view them, and after I do that, the link will appear a different color indicating IíŽve visited that page. I remember using a different computer to browse the web page, and all the links became the original color againíK I was totally confused as to which messages I have read or not readíK

Now, with the new style, all the messages within one thread appear on a single page, and I will have no idea if I read every new post or notíK So how does that work? Do the new post icon update automatically in my account every time I move around? Or do I have to recheck every thread to make sure I doníŽt miss anything?

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-30-2001, 10:43 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
Ok,

I'm still learning _exactly_ how this works, but I've got a pretty good feel for it.

You'll notice on the main page, when there is a new message, the blue box turns from to .

Blue means there hasn't been any activity since you've been in that forum. Yellow means there are new messages you haven't seen since the last time you were active on the forums.

So now you're wondering, what happens if there are 12 posts on a particular thread, and you've read 5-8 of them, but aren't sure. Look for this icon next to each post: . It means this is a new message. means you've read it already.

Once you've read the messages, and after 15 minutes of inactivity, the yellow icons will turn back to the normal blue.

I'm pretty sure this will work on multiple computers, because the board keeps track of the last time each user has been active (view, post, etc) on the forums.

Hope that helped.

Last edited by Brandon Martus : 05-30-2001 at 11:16 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2001, 08:12 PM
cd addicted ninny
#0419 (rambots)

mike o'leary is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mike o'leary Send a message via AIM to mike o'leary Send a message via Yahoo to mike o'leary
along the same lines: how do you know what something is in reply to...like on the old forums in this thread i could have replied to either ken's or brendan's post, but in this one i dont have a choice (at least i dont think i do...if i do i havent found it yet in which case im an idiot and just ignore this post)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2001, 08:26 PM
do you..
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Joel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond repute
Directed Reply.

No, you cannot reply to a specific thread. Each reply is directed to the main post and is placed below, or above it, based on your preference.

Division By Zero (229) Alumni, 2003-2007
RAGE (173) Alumni, 1999-2003
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2001, 08:29 PM
cd addicted ninny
#0419 (rambots)

mike o'leary is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mike o'leary Send a message via AIM to mike o'leary Send a message via Yahoo to mike o'leary
above it you say?

how do you do that?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2001, 08:58 PM
do you..
no team

Joel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry, that phrase was mis-leading. The administrator chooses the order in which replies are sorted -- whether ascending or descending. I blame myself for that, I spoke too quickly.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2001, 11:36 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
Re: Directed Reply.

Quote:
Originally posted by jOelster
No, you cannot reply to a specific thread. Each reply is directed to the main post and is placed below, or above it, based on your preference.
if you want to direct a reply to someone, you can quote their post.

bottom-right corner of each post is a 'quote' button... (next to the edit button) press that, and it does exactly what i've done on this post.

just like the old forums used to have
> all these
> little
> arrows
along the side.

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-31-2001, 11:57 PM
do you..
no team

I guess that works.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: