OCCRA
Go to Post You know what they call the graduate with the lowest GPA in med school? Doctor. You know what they call the fourth robot in the alliance that wins Einstein? Champion. - Billfred [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Motors
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2001, 04:04 AM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung
Question power of globe motor with gear box?

I've been trying to calculate the motor power of globe motor with gear box...

According to the manual, Globe motor with gear box have the following specs:

No load speed = 87 RPM +- 1
Stall Torque = 150 in-lb

If Motor power = Free Speed X Stall Torque

and

Free Speed in Rad/sec (1 RPM = 0.104 Rad/sec)
Stall Torque in N-m (1 in-lbs = 0.11 N-m)

Then the motor power = 1/2 * 9.05 Rad/s * 1/2 * 16.5 N-m
= 37.33 Watt...

But according to the motor presentation in white paper, Globe motor with gearbox have a motor power of 50W...

Am I doing this wrong? Am I lacking some additional info to calculate the correct motor power?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-15-2001, 11:17 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
10.5V vs. 12V

The specs the FIRST gives are the specs that Globe put on there print which, for reasons that are not clear to me, are at 10.5 Volts.

If you scale both the stall torque and the free speed by 12/10.5 you will get:

37W (12/10.5)^2

which is 48W

Close enough to 50W for me.

Joe J.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-18-2001, 01:48 PM
Mentor, coach, whatever--
FRC #0233 ("The Pink Team")

Kit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kit Gerhart
Has anyone done actual dyno tests on some of these motors to confirm that the " Free Speed X Stall Torque" based calculation is reasonably accurate? I assume that the calculation should be fairly close to actual output, but I'm curious as to how close. The actual output might be higher than a calc. based on stall torque because the commutator timing is set to optimize the motor for some rpm greater than zero in the "forward" direction.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2001, 09:33 AM
Engineer at iRobot

Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
The dyno tests we have on the power sliding door motors we use match the theoretical curve very well in the middle 80% of the curve. The last 10% on either side of the curve are close but quite the linear form that the simple models predict.

As for me, the calculations are good enough to get me in the range I want to be in. Designing to the last decimal place is always dangerous and often disasterous.

As to FIRST robots, there are plenty of other much larger unknowns to deal with than the difference between the simple motor model I use and the actual motor performance.

Joe J.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2001, 10:41 AM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung
Question What's the globe motors suppose to do in real life?

I never quite figured it out... I know that the window lift motors are used to move car windows up and down... Seat motoros for the power seats... And Sliding door motors for Van doors...

So, what exactly do the globe motors do in real life?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2001, 12:43 PM
Engineer at iRobot

The Globe Motor's "Day Job" is to shift from 4WD to 2WD on GM's trucks (specifically, Tahoes, Blazers, & Jimmys to name a few).

My understanding is that the motor also is used in Ford's as well but the motor/gearbox combo that we use is the GM model.

The same style gearbox and motor is used in 100's of applications that Globe has sold programs for including an satellite pointing application. The only way these motors can get as cheap as they are is for the investment of developing a motor family and a motor assembly line can be spread out over many many motor programs.

So now you know.

Joe J.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: