OCCRA
Go to Post "We'll fix that in programming" - EStokely [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Old Forum Archives > 2000
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2002, 10:58 PM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
The 'Big Picture' regarding regional space..

Posted by colleen.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #246, Blue Light Special, from John D. O'Byrant High School/Boston Latin Academy and NSTAR/Boston University/UTC/Raytheon/MassPEP.

Posted on 10/6/2000 1:56 PM MST

First-- Let me copy Dave Kelso's message from down bottom that many of you may have missed:
'One second....CHAOS was not looking for anyone to bend rules or start a letter campagne. My original note was just to see if other regionals are filling up and to kindly give a gentle warning to teams that did not sign up yet, YOU BETTER DO IT SOON.
I also appreciate the fact that FIRST has given consideration to rookies by leaving 5 places for them. It is hard for new teams to get organized and this is a very fair move.'

Now-- let's completely remove CHAOS from it all and discuss the situation...

Here's what I think--

If you want to petition FIRST-- I would suggest petitioning them to say 'we're willing to give up 9in if that means that more team can attend the NE regional..' Afterall, taking a measure as such is something you should be willing to make, I would think, no matter who the team is... And what you have to consider, it's not just 9' of space.. to be far, you'd have to subtract that much from EVERYONE's pit.. and heck, that would make room for 4 or 5 more teams..

ok.. Now we have to redo qualifying matches.. get those teams into the mix.. extend the day of competition and/or reduce each team's amount of matches in qualifying.. we've got to pay for extra food at the party.. there's parking, lodging, and viewing accomadations to consider.. the LAST thing I would want to see is a repeat of the '98 New England Regional where each team was given wristbands for how many viewers they could let in.. Parents, Employees, and much general public had to sit in the cafe and watch on big screen.. My mom left around 4 or 5 in the morning to wait in line in a blizzard just to try and get in because our team didn't have enough wristbands for the STUDENTS, nevermind parents and employees..

But that's one of the unfortunate things.. which the only way you can be fair to all teams in attendance is to limit the number of teams who go..

And also is key-- it's a lesson to be learned about registering early.. just because a team is from a bit further away does not mean they should be penalized.. I think in all likelihood, teams will drop from the list, and/or many rookies won't attend (there never are many at NE) and the teams on the waiting list won't have a problem.. all competitions are open to ANY team.. it's a clear statement and has never concerned people in the past...

And consider this point-- guys like CD feel kinda bad for taking a spot at a regional far away.. (which I REALLY don't think they should..and 246 looks forward to playing against them again as we did in NJ last year)... but what about the teams (no one get mad :-P) who registered for multiple regionals without even knowing if they can afford one?? Personally, if our team receives equal sponsorship as last year, we could afford to attend 2 regionals and a national.. however, we weren't definitely sure, so we only registered for one regional so the spot would exist for another team trying to register for a close to home regional... cause you know what's going to happen.. come December, teams are going to realize 'hey, we really can't afford to go to both those regionals' and they'll drop out of one.. and a team from closer who couldn't get into that regional is stuck travelling to a further one when there's an open spot close to home... it's going to happen.. what if someone petitions FIRST about that.. that you can't register for multiple unless you can write the check then and there for multiple?? Sponsors as wonderful as Delphi make that opportunity possible for their teams.. and maybe to our misfortune some of us littler guys don't have the luck of the Chief.. but still.. what if teams who weren't sure only registered for one.. instead of taking up spots they don't know they can afford??

FORTUNATELY for New England teams..there ARE many regionals within close proximity besides UTC.. there's the NJ regionals, the one in Philly, Long Island, New York... Virginia isn't even that bad of a drive... the first 4 I listed are probably max. 6 hours driving distance for MOST teams in NE..

In essence.. I think there is much more to this than people are considering.. I am sorry CHAOS may not attend NE.. and I respect Dave's (and I hope his team's) understanding of the situation.. but if you want FIRST to make room for more teams, ask them to make room for more teams.. not just certain ones.. and don't expect people who've planned, registered, and paid for regionals to drop out because of it.. it's life folks...

Once Dean's dream of everyone being within an hour of a regional comes true.. maybe then we could make then true 'regionals'.. until then..

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-23-2002, 10:58 PM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The 'Big Picture' regarding regional space..

Posted by Michael Martus.   [PICTURE: SAME | NEW | HELP]

Coach on team #47, Chief Delphi, from Pontiac Central H.S. and Delphi Automotives Systems.

Posted on 10/7/2000 6:55 PM MST

In Reply to: The 'Big Picture' regarding regional space.. posted by colleen on 10/6/2000 1:56 PM MST:

Well said!

You are right. I know of several teams that have signed up for multiple regionals and are fundraising to try and make it. Like last year, many of them will drop 1 of the regionals at the 11th hour or not even show.

FIRST is so extra nice that they do what they can to keep a teams dreams alive when the odds are against them going to multiple regionals due to costs.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: