OCCRA
Go to Post These are the moments you will bring with you the rest of your life, enjoy them! - KathieK [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2001, 08:32 PM
FRC #0025
Team Role: Coach

nuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond reputenuggetsyl has a reputation beyond repute
what was your favorite first compition

I bet most of you will think my favorite comp. is 2000 but that is not true my favorite was 98. I think first had it more together back then.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2001, 08:55 PM
AKA: JT Money
#0131 (C.H.A.O.S.)

Jestin McCarthy has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Send a message via AIM to Jestin McCarthy
Re: what was your favorite first compition

year 2000 without a doubt was the best year.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2001, 09:02 PM
Mentor, coach, whatever--
FRC #0233 ("The Pink Team")
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1996
Kit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kit Gerhart
I may be biased!!

My favorite FIRST competition was 1998, because we won. What made it especially good was that our two previous years were, putting it mildly, not very good.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2001, 09:09 PM
Now an AIR Striker....
FRC #0078

Rookie Year: 1997
Tom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Schindler
98 was most definitely the most exciting year. Oddly enough it was the last year of 1 vs 1 vs 1....... maybe they should bring this back?????

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-20-2001, 09:36 PM
do you..
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Joel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond repute
2000, of course

Considering that 2000 was my first year, I would have to choose it as my best year overall. Also, I wasn't too thrilled about last years game as it did not involve any direct competition at all. This coupled with how well RAGE did during the 2000 season solidifies in my view on this -- 2000, 2000, 2000. This might not be the best view, however, as my field of view is limited to the games from the past two years.

Division By Zero (229) Alumni, 2003-2007
RAGE (173) Alumni, 1999-2003
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2001, 02:27 AM
Member of the Red Army
no team

E. The Kidd is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to E. The Kidd
Well seeing as last year was our rookie year and we beat a load of veteran teams I must say 2001 by far was our team's favorite season
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2001, 11:56 AM
#0175 (Buzz Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1998
Katie Atiyeh is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 1998 Competition

I think 1998 competition was wicked awesome. I really miss the 1v1v1 style, and I also think that human players had it much better. The game depended on the robot and strategy, but the human player could feed balls into the robot (with some restrictions) but they also could make or break the score . . . Just my opinions. . Have an awesome and safe Thanksgiving
-Katie Atiyeh
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2001, 01:19 PM
#0011 (Marauders)

jasoni is an unknown quantity at this point
2000, hands down.

Almost every single match was exciting, simply because a major aspect of scoring involved cramming 4 robots onto a small platform at the end of the match. The defensive maneuvers were varied and interesting as well.

Those that enjoyed 1v1v1 must not be remembering it well.

I was on team #13 in 1998, the BioBeast. We had a fairly strong machine, I guess we were strong enough to get noticed. We were involved with quite a few matches where our 2 opponents conspired against us. It wasn't just us either, that's for sure. In the tournament at Nationals, I believe every one of the top 10 seeds was sent to the losers bracket by round 2. The finals were between two teams seeded in the 50's. It was sad to see the Bomb Squad and Motorola not end up there. Their machines were fantastic. It was enough of an issue that it was the last year of 1v1v1.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2001, 04:25 PM
Mostly Harmless
None #0308
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1999
Dave Hurt is on a distinguished road
I'd have to say my favorite year was '99. We went down to Florida as a rookie team, with only 1 or 2 wins in our regional, and we went undefeated in nationals (I think there was only 1 or 2 other teams that managed to do that). That was great for me since I was the driver :-) The only letdown was that we didn't get selected for the finals, but oh well, it was fun.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2001, 08:22 PM
Behold the Awesomeness!
AKA: Dan Richards
#0550 (BattleTech)
Team Role: College Student

Dan 550 is on a distinguished road
2003 Competition, All the Way

I'd have to say that my favorite competition will be the 2003 comp, because that's when FIRST gets its show (Allegedly).
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2001, 08:31 PM
AKA: Anthony Lapp
None #0118 (Team RUSH and Robonauts)

ajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond reputeajlapp has a reputation beyond repute
1997........yet to be matched

I noticed that a lot of people in this thread weren't around for 1997, so I thought I'd start with that. The thing that made it so good was the use of innertubes. It was a dynamic game and a sophmore year for many of the best teams in the country, including but not limited to beatty, the chief, 3dimensional services, and wildstang......although they kind of competed in the first competition.
Anyway. The robots were incredible(you all should of seen baxcat, a.k.a. heatwave.......that was when they used to be purple and black.......I've yet to see too many robots that matched that machine in pure beauty.)
I'll through a special nod to wildstang for 1997......they broke out that year with their nested telescoping lift. It's been copied but never replicated, at least not by anyone but wildstang. You can see it in the FIRST Place!
Beatty 3was in top form that year also.....winning their first National Championship.
I guess I really loved it so much because it's old school. The competition was small and the robots were amazing. Hopefully we can continue to recapture that spirit in the years to come.

Anthony Lapp
Team 221
MI Roboworks
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2001, 08:39 PM
Mentor, coach, whatever--
FRC #0233 ("The Pink Team")

Kit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kit Gerhart
I remember Windstang's '97 machine with the four stage lift made with their usual beautifully fabricated 1/32 inch (?) aluminum. As I remember, the lift was powered by four seat motors in tandem.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2001, 10:13 PM
Asst Dir, WPI Robotics Resource Ctr
FRC #0190 (Gompei and the HERD)

ColleenShaver is a glorious beacon of lightColleenShaver is a glorious beacon of lightColleenShaver is a glorious beacon of lightColleenShaver is a glorious beacon of lightColleenShaver is a glorious beacon of lightColleenShaver is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to ColleenShaver

'99 was definitely the best year in my book. it was the first year of alliances and it was a cool game, i thought..

next after that would definitely be '97... 1v1v1 and innertubes rocked..

my LEAST favorite ironically seems to be a favorite among many: 1998. I didn't like the game.. or that you started w/ points and your robot could never move and you had potential to win a match!! (situation: two robots are battling for the win.. knocking balls off, etc, blocking each other from scoring.. other robot never moves but their HP throws in all 3 balls and their 1pt ball stays on the rail... easy win for a broken 'bot ...eeeeek!)

that's it.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-21-2001, 10:27 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute

I think that 2000 was the best year....mainly because it was my first year and we did pretty well.....

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-22-2001, 12:13 PM
D.J. Fluck

I have to agree with Clark, 2000 was cool, the game was competitive, we were winners and runners up of the regionals we went to and we finished top 16 at nationals...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: