OCCRA
Go to Post Did Dean by any chance mention red herrings? ;) - Cory [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 10:01 AM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
yep.

all vi or vim (vi-improved)

alot of the html for the new forums is contained in templates which are located in the database. So there is alot of editing via the admin control panel...but other than that, im all vi.

i remember when i didn't know vi.... how did i survive?

the thing i hate most about vi, however, is that when you're filling out forms on webpages, like this one for example, and you think you're using vi, and you hit ESC to go to command-mode, which resets the form, and you lose all of the text you just filled in.
but other than that, im glad i forced myself to use vi.
  #17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 11:59 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)
Team Role: Engineer

Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
The one and only command I ever use in vi is ":wq" (minus the quotes). The EDITOR environment variable on the Sun's at RIT's CS Department like to default to vi for some odd reason. Occassionally I forget to set the EDITOR to pico and CVS throws me into vi.

Matt who thinks that who ever thought-up vi must really be a sadist....
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 12:59 PM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
vi was a HUGE improvement

vi cannot be judged in the light of today's editors.

While many of the features seem to be difficult to use and somewhat quirky, it was a HUGE improvement over the editors that were available.

Remember that it has actually gotten harder to learn since we are all using PC keyboards to pretend that they are VT-100 terminals keyboard (or whatever your particular school happened to buy). The terminal keyboards actually had an arrow to the left on the h key, an arrow down on the j key, etc. These clues are missing from PC keyboards which makes the business of learning vi even more cryptic.

But, just because I cut my teeth on vi, doesn't mean that I am blind to its flaws. I was glad to see it go. About the only time I use it now is when I rlogin to get to some UNIX box 3 states away and I want to make a quick change to my .login file without the bother of using ftp. At such times I am glad my fingers still know the way around the old dinasour.

Joe J.
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 01:10 PM
Software guy
FRC #0111 (Wildstang)

Rookie Year: 1996
Mike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond reputeMike Soukup has a reputation beyond repute
I have to agree with Brandon here. How did I ever survive before I used vim? If you take the time to learn it Matt, you'll spend your time actually writing code instead of hunting through your code and repeating the same commands. I keep trying to convince my co-workers to switch to vim. It has syntax high-lighting, split windows, and when integrated with cscope, you can jump to any occurrence of any variable or function in a project with a couple of keystrokes.

I must be a sadist because I enjoy using vim.

Mike, who likes to include comments after his name just be be like Matt
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 01:31 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)

Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
For most development work I tend to use emacs. Syntax-highlighting and all kinds of other good stuff. I don't bother with vi because it tends to be orthogonal to my thought process and given me nothing short of trouble whenever I've had to use it. I think what it comes down to is whether or not you like to hit escape or control more often. The other reason I started with emacs was that it integrated very nicely with the JDE so it made Java rather easy to develop. Plus emacs will do all kinds of nice cvs stuff for me.

Matt who started the whole comments after name thing on here so :-p (and wonder's why there isn't a tongue smiley on here)
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 02:13 PM
#0175 (Buzz Robotics)

Steve A. is an unknown quantity at this point
.org ....

It is really www.buzzrobotics.org

but anyways, I will be working over the summer to make the buzz page a little bit better than it is.... now I know that frontpage is not the very best (but you have to admit, the pages that are up now are pretty good for a first timer!! )

Steve

Last edited by Steve A. : 06-07-2001 at 02:20 PM.
  #22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 02:16 PM
#0596 (SciClones)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Adrian Wong is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Adrian Wong
Wow, I never realized there were so many UNIX-heads in FIRST. I'm pleasantly surprised. Hopefully more will come about when Mac OS X gets more attention (and swing users to the deep underground world of ... dah dah dah dum ... FreeBSD).

Last edited by Adrian Wong : 06-07-2001 at 02:18 PM.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 02:25 PM
AKA: Patrick Dingle
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
patrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to beholdpatrickrd is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to patrickrd
Like Lora and Brandon, I recommend not using commercial HTML editors such as Frontpage... unless you are in a huge rush. HTML is not hard to understand (half of the tags are simple english words). Basically, the more complicated of a site you want, the less and less I recommend commercial HTML editors. If you happen to have Visual Studio and happen to use a Microsoft server, I highly recommend using Visual InterDev... But I mostly edit the raw HTML, even in that program. For example, the Buzz U page has some automated features such as CGI so It'd be much better to learn the raw HTML.

Now, personally, I think you have to throw away the HTML altogether Using XML along with XSL transforms & style sheets allows you to completely separate content from layout and formatting. For example one change to the XSL transform would instantly change the way all pages on your entire site look. Unfortunately this technology was only standardized in the past year so very few browsers yet enable it, so for now the transformations need to take place on server side. Also, CGI is quickly becoming a thing of the past... On UNIX, PHP is now popular and ASP is popular on Windows servers.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 02:34 PM
#0596 (SciClones)

Rookie Year: 2001
Adrian Wong is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Adrian Wong
Quote:
Originally posted by patrickrd
Now, personally, I think you have to throw away the HTML altogether Using XML along with XSL transforms & style sheets allows you to completely separate content from layout and formatting. For example one change to the XSL transform would instantly change the way all pages on your entire site look. Unfortunately this technology was only standardized in the past year so very few browsers yet enable it, so for now the transformations need to take place on server side.
That was one of the plans for a system I'm developing this year. Storing robot scouting data in an XML format allows XSLT transformations into XHTML (for display over the Internet) or VXML (for listening over the phone). I'm still in the process of learning how to tackle this problem, but some folks from SOAP108 seem interested in the project as well.

I'm trying to learn the finer nuances for VXML. I've managed to rattle together a short application that is a small proof of concept for the 2002 season. If any of you would like to try it out, call 1-800-555-8355. After listening to the advertisements, press 134778. The only option right now is to "get data", on "a team" for team numbers 190, 596, or 800. These are just some test cases that allow me to debug the system.

Hopefully, a large company like Motorola, Lucent, or AT&T would like to cooperate with this project and allow us use of their Voice Browsers. The TellMe Studio browser (at the number listed above), contains many advertisements and delays.

Back to the original topic however, it'd be so nice to have the data stored in a nice format like XML, available for export to many different formats. Maybe even running an RDF file off the server so teams can grab their latest statistics or something. Oh, all these ideas in my head, not enough time to become technically competent to execute them.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 02:36 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
Quote:
Originally posted by Adrian Wong
Wow, I never realized there were so many UNIX-heads in FIRST. I'm pleasantly surprised. Hopefully more will come about when Mac OS X gets more attention (and swing users to the deep underground world of ... dah dah dah dum ... FreeBSD).
FreeBSD is my unix of choice. I learned unix with it, and have been with it since.
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 02:52 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)

On my home computer, when I use Unix, I run Debian GNU/Linux (I'm at home for the summer now and haven't set up dial-up internet access in Linux yet). Generally, for me, if it has the software on it I need (or I can ssh to a machine that has it), and it runs Bash I'm happy. Personally I find the combination of X-Windows and ssh a very powerful combination. It'd made it easy to work on CS projects from my dorm room among other things.

Matt
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 03:00 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison
Awwww, c'mon folks. . .

Dreamweaver is just way too pretty to be a useful editor!!!

At least, that's the opinion from someone who's never taken the time to figure out what all of those happy little buttons do.

I use Adobe GoLive, which offers WYSIWYG and code-based editing and it's all easy to get to! For me, it seems to just write code on it's own. It doesn't get any better than that.

For graphics and roll overs and things, I use Macromedia Fireworks, and it's always worked fine for me. Vector based art is the way to go, but, that's because I'm used to its applications in graphic design.

Anyway, that's just my $.02 about software. Now, remember, though, GoLive and things aren't exactly cheap. You can, however, pick up Macromedia's Bundle, with a student discount, no less, for ~$300, I think. That includes Freehand, Flash, and Dreamweaver, if I recall. I could be totally wrong, though.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2001, 07:52 PM
do you..
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Joel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond repute
I feel Stupid....

This thread makes me feel really stupid. I can't even get Linux Mandrake to boot into X-windows (is that the name?), without frying my monitor..... I really feel stupid.

Division By Zero (229) Alumni, 2003-2007
RAGE (173) Alumni, 1999-2003
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2001, 08:27 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)

Re: I feel Stupid....

Quote:
Originally posted by jOelster
This thread makes me feel really stupid. I can't even get Linux Mandrake to boot into X-windows (is that the name?), without frying my monitor..... I really feel stupid.
You messed up your modelines (horizontal and vertical sync rate). Some monitors (mostly older ones) don't deal too nicely with modelines out of their range. Most newer models will simply reject bad modelines.

Matt who has yet to kill a monitor....
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2001, 08:34 AM
AKA: Brian Papile
None #0069 (HYPER)

PaPPy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to PaPPy
Talking JUST USE NOTEPAD!!!

Hey all why go out and spend more money than needed? Just use notepad and either learn HTML or get tutorials online. Check out Team 69's site. Other than the 2 flash things everything else was done in notepad. And it was done by 3 kids no enigineers or adults.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: