OCCRA
Go to Post More teams will want to join, peers who are not on the team will understand the program better, television will become interested in FIRST again, sponsors will be easier to get, cancer will be cured, the Israelis and Palestineians will live in harmony, and we will have world peace. - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2013, 02:17 PM
AKA: Scooby
FRC #0125 (NUTRONs)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Steven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond reputeSteven Donow has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Steven Donow
FrankAnswersFridays: October 25, 2013: Safety at Championships

http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprogr...idays-10252013

Quote:
This week’s question is from Joe Barry, Team 987, The High Rollers, from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA:

Question:

Hi Frank,

Now that we have the Championships venue decided upon for several years to come it makes sense to continue to enhance the experience in St. Louis in ways that ensure a fun, rewarding, educational, and safe experience. As referenced in various Chief Delphi posts and a personal discussion with you this past season, it is obvious that much still needs to be done to make the early morning team entry into the dome a more orderly and safe experience. Has FIRST figured out at a safe, workable crowd control plan for the venue yet...like ensuring the same set of doors are clearly labeled and used for ingress, effective roping for a proper que of teams, wristbands, timed intervals for each team's entry, etc.? Of all the planning efforts associated with this awesome event, I am sure we all agree that none is more important than those that relate to the safety of all individuals participating in it.

Answer:

Thanks for the question, Joe.

You are correct that safety is our top priority. For the 2013 FIRST Championship, we added stanchions outside the entryway to help guide individuals safely through the doors of venue, and also had additional individuals assigned to crowd control, reminding everyone to slow down. In the wake of the Boston Marathon Bombing, which happened just a few days before the event, we also added bag checks and security dogs to the event, with the goal of increasing the safety and comfort of all attendees.

We are working now on the security and crowd control plan for the 2014 FIRST Championship. We don’t have details finalized yet, but we’ll pass along information important to teams when the time comes. You can expect, though, that there will be changes to how these elements are handled, and as always, we’ll be counting on the teams do their part to help keep the event safe.

I’ll blog again soon.

Frank

FRC 125 [2013-Present]NUTRONs - Mentor/College Student
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me
Re: FrankAnswersFridays: October 25, 2013: Safety at Championships

I can't tell from the response if he grasps the magnitude of the problem at hand here. Guiding people to the right place and having a few people try and ask people to slow down doesn't change the fundamental problem at hand: Thousands of people have a huge incentive to "get in first" in order to claim seating. This isn't something that can and should be fixed by "hey guys, don't run". A queue line for each division that lets people inside in an ordered fashion would do it. Probably takes the same number of extra people as other methods. You could gradually bring the lines in, let in 20 at a time every 30 seconds or so from each line, etc.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:57 PM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

His response is flat out not true. As one of the first 50 or so people in line every day I am 100% sure there was no proper queue formed and that what he's calling "crowd control" was one rent-a-cop that yelled at people for standing on the brick area of the sidewalk while doing nothing to ensure that an orderly line was formed.

There was literally zero effort put into crowd control. Not only that, FIRST staff actually exacerbated the problem by standing at the front of the crowd and counting down to the doors opening, causing what amounted to a stampede.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2013, 06:07 PM
Unprepared
AKA: Wil Payne (@Wil_Payne)
FRC #0422 (The Mech Tech Dragons)

Rookie Year: 2008
PayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond reputePayneTrain has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to PayneTrain

I came in the door a minute after it opened on Saturday and it was already madhouse getting in and over to the stands, only to see adults rolling out toilet paper in seats and yelling at each other and at children. Either I'm seeing things and need to see a doctor or they just don't see how intense the problem is...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2013, 07:43 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

I think the entrance to the pits was OK, but I was never over at the opening for seating.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:02 PM
OZ_341's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
#0341 (Wissahickon)

Rookie Year: 2000
OZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond reputeOZ_341 has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of crowd control.
If they don't do something to fix that after-party, someone is going to get hurt.
You simply cannot fit the entire Championship inside the science center. It was a recipe for a future disaster.
They have now made (3) attempts at an after party with very limited success.
The first two were OK but not great, but 2013 was just flat out unsafe.
I sure hope they are brainstorming on the safety aspects of this issue, as well.
2014 Hatboro District Champions (thanks 2590 & 272)
2014 Lenape District Team Spirit Award
2014 Finger Lakes and MAR CMP KPCB Award
Overall Record 60 W - 37 L
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2013, 08:43 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_341 View Post
Speaking of crowd control.
If they don't do something to fix that after-party, someone is going to get hurt.
You simply cannot fit the entire Championship inside the science center. It was a recipe for a future disaster.
They have now made (3) attempts at an after party with very limited success.
The first two were OK but not great, but 2013 was just flat out unsafe.
I sure hope they are brainstorming on the safety aspects of this issue, as well.
My understanding is that they were pinched last year by the weather, forcing everything into a smaller space than planned. Either way, you're right--I was keeping my elbows out at the science center to get a little cushion.

As for the initial seating stampede (and yes, some people really took it like that), I might suggest turnstiles at the door. Pain in the butt for those with things that roll, but for the teeming masses it forces them to go one at a time and not too fast.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:12 PM
FRCTop25.com
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2005
Justin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond reputeJustin Montois has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Justin Montois

I agree with Chris and Cory, I'm not sure the message was received in terms of the severity of the issue and as Cory mentioned, what was in place could hardly be called crowd control.

I think that Joe brought up some good options that I was hoping Frank would respond to like wristbands or timed intervals.

There needs to be a better system in place. Outside the venue isn't as important to me because once a system is in place to improve the initial rush, the outside queuing of teams will take care of itself. Asking teams to 'slow down' is not a solution. A few more stanchions or barriers outside is also not going to solve the problem.

We know Frank is active on CD, can people post some ideas in this thread as possible solutions?

I was thinking if it made sense to give teams blocks of seats in a vertical manner instead of horizontal. Meaning instead of very few teams taking all of the "good seats" up front, teams are given 2 wide blocks so teams can give preference to their scouters up front and rotate the good seats among themselves.

For clarity? Imagine Team numbers 1-7

Instead of...

Not sure if it's a good idea yet or not....
2014-Finger Lakes Regional Finalist with 3015 and 3044
2014-Tech Valley Regional Chairman's Award
2012-Buckeye Regional Champions With 1507 and 3015
2012-Finger Lakes Regional Chairman's Award
2012-Finger Lakes Regional Finalist with 3015 and 4124
2011-Finger Lakes Regional Chairman's Award
2011-Finger Lakes Regional Finalist with 1126 and 3157
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2013, 09:29 PM
Circuit Breaker
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Pat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond reputePat Fairbank has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Pat Fairbank Send a message via Skype™ to Pat Fairbank

I would settle for a single, clearly demarcated pair of doors to the dome that will be opening, and a queue enclosed by a rope barrier or something that's long enough for a few thousand people to queue up.

Most of the safety hazards are caused by later-arriving teams skipping straight to the front and pushing through, and the crunch into the escalator and staircase since they are a bottleneck after too many doors are opened.
Team 296 | Alumnus (2001-2004) | Mentor (2005-2006)

patfairbank.com
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Fairbank View Post
Most of the safety hazards are caused by later-arriving teams skipping straight to the front and pushing through, and the crunch into the escalator and staircase since they are a bottleneck after too many doors are opened.
What about using the big ramps to get people in in the mornings? We used them leaving the concert in 2011, and I could've sworn they went down to street level. The extra width would allow for a variety of paces and more throughput during the first hour or so. Just put barricades or staff (or both) at the highest level people can enter.

Still not foolproof, but I'll take people being idiots on a gently-sloped ramp over people being idiots on stairs and escalators.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:42 PM
4 Years, 4 Banners
AKA: Kevin Leonard
FRC #0020 (The Rocketeers)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
Kevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Leonard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Kevin Leonard

I think the biggest issue with finding seating in the morning isn't teams getting seating to watch the matches, it's scouts getting seating to watch the matches.
That being said, I would love to see a nice area of the stands devoted to scouting and scouting only.

The other thing that I think can be done on a team level is educating your own teams on being professional during the mad morning rush. Don't take more seats than you need, and don't put your 40 students all in prime seating- put your scouts up front, your spirit gang can be in back. This also allows them to stand up without blocking other team's views. It's a win-win scenario.

College Student Mentor on Teams 20 and 1126 (2014-Present)
Student on Team 20 The Rocketeers (2011-2014):
4 Regional Championships, 2 Regional Finalists, 2 IRI Invites, 2 Quarterfinal Finishes at Championships,
4 Life-changing Years
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:51 PM
College Student / Between Teams
no team

Rookie Year: 2010
Samwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to beholdSamwaldo is a splendid one to behold

The Boston Regional (which no longer exists. The venue will now become the NE District Championships site) Did as best of job as possible that did help. They only allowed people to go in through one of the doors in the morning, where their was security checks which enforced a line. Once in the lobby, they wouldnt allow anyone to go up the stairs till a certain time. Once that time hit, everyone had to go through turnstyles to get to the stairs.

2011 Boston Regional Winner
2012 Boston and CT Quarter-finalists
2013 Boston Spirit Award Winners
2013 Where's Wolcott & Bash @ The Beach Finalists
2014 Groton Semi Finalists and Engineering Excellence
2014 Southington Quarter-finalists

University of Harford Class of 2018, Mechanical Engineer
2015 NE District Volunteer
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-26-2013, 09:22 AM
FRC #3138 (Innovators Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2003
Michael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Hill has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest annoyance (as a volunteer) was the single entryway. The volunteer parking lot was on the complete opposite side of the arena. I don't know how many locked entrances I passed (with security personnel standing there watching me) and tried to enter with no success.

Yes. I'm whining.

But seriously, having another entrance on the other side of the arena unlocked would be nice and would help alleviate some stampeding.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Back for more!
FRC #1540 (Flaming Chickens)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2012
Jacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond reputeJacob Bendicksen has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Jacob Bendicksen

What about a lottery system? Teams submit how many seats they need, then they are reserved. Period. No rush for anything since seats are predetermined.
Portland, OR
team1540.org | @flamingchickens | Like us!

While I've been on the team:
2014: Chairman's Award (Autodesk PNW Championship), Innovation in Control Award (Archimedes Division), Chairman's Award (OSU District), Entrepreneurship Award (Wilsonville District), Motorola Quality Award (Oregon City District)
2013: Chairman's Award (Autodesk Oregon Regional), Regional Finalists (Oklahoma Regional)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-26-2013, 11:17 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2011
Robotmmm has a brilliant futureRobotmmm has a brilliant futureRobotmmm has a brilliant futureRobotmmm has a brilliant futureRobotmmm has a brilliant futureRobotmmm has a brilliant futureRobotmmm has a brilliant futureRobotmmm has a brilliant futureRobotmmm has a brilliant futureRobotmmm has a brilliant futureRobotmmm has a brilliant future

I completely agree with TheCascadeKid's idea. I was thinking along similar lines. When you register for Champs you need to submit a total number attending and then you are randomly assigned a block of seats (and I really like the vertical as opposed to horizontal idea). I also suggest that this rotates by day so that one team does not end up with "the good seats" for the entire event.

Also.......

We need to address the travesty of the mad seating rush for Einstein!!!

What happens every year is that so many people rush for seats on Einstein that there is hardly anyone left watching the Archimedes, Newton, etc. finals and awards. This is a travesty! If people had pre-assigned seating for Einstein then they would all stay and watch those finals instead of all trampeling each other to get to the "big show" seating.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: