Go to Post Remember that the 4-slot cRIO...only has 4 slots. :) - Alan Anderson [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 4.55 average. Display Modes
  #256   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:14 PM
NWFRCA Leader
AKA: Austin Kukay
FRC #2907 (Lion Robotics)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2008
Zeromonkey is on a distinguished road
Re: [FRC Blog] 2014 Game Hint

8234/57, 61126/1963, 62326/15806

Just putting that string there again so we don't lose focus. We remember what we are trying to figure out.
Anyways.
There has been some stipulation as to if these numbers could be code for something. For those following that pursuit, someone found earlier that the median of the numbers if put in consecutive order is 4. This could be a possible key. I am not educated in this area, but have at it everyone!

Another thing I have realized from looking at this hint and previous hints given by FIRST is that they like to give us hints that connect inside of the hint as well as outside. With that in mind, lets look at the hint.
They possibly connect the ideas using the slashes and differentiate between ideas using the commas. Makes sense right?

Look at the middle numbers: "61126/1963"
We have found that the first number refers to Rockford, Illinois. (Although the 62326 may also refer to Colchester, IL as well, let's just focus on the middle term). Rockford is in Illinois. We have another value as well, the "1963".
My friends and I have two theories.
One:
Rockford is in Winnebago County. The Winnebago 1963 was a travel trailer. Do trailers mind you of something?

Two:
In 1963, the Chicago Bears won the NFL Championship game against the NY Giants 14 to 10. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Cha...hip_Game,_1963) This is where things get interesting. The game was the 31st annual championship game. Now divide the two middle numbers. What do you get? 31.1390...
This would also mean a game of football.

Just some food for thought!

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."- Albert Einstein
"If you inspire those around you, they will grow more than you can possibly imagine"- Jack Harrison
"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."- Albert Einstein
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing..."- Albert Einstein
  #257   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:19 PM
FRC #2039 (Rockford Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
ERB is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtomp View Post
Rockford is also called 'The Forest City', forest could = trees = tree climbing? Some type of climbing? Or it could tie into the green theme that was thrown around.
Also, and this is probably not connected, but when I googled '1963 robots' it came up with a page that said Iron Man was first drawn up in 1963. No idea how that would tie in though.
We have been known as the Screw City as well from the amount of screws we use to produce. Kinda of an odd nickname. The name that is being pushed now is the Garden City.

I personally would be leaning towards the baseball side, if it has anything to do with zip codes at all. Rockford had the Rockford Peaches which is a famous girls baseball team. Then Colchester, IL has some history with baseball as well (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchester,_Illinois).

I doubt it has anything to do with the Gates factory as that closed down and is now gone.
  #258   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:19 PM
Battery Guru
AKA: Conner Doggett
FRC #3245 (Waterford Ravens)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2013
Connerd will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeromonkey View Post
For those following that pursuit, someone found earlier that the median of the numbers if put in consecutive order is 4. This could be a possible key. I am not educated in this area, but have at it everyone!
Oh Noes
I was hoping that I wouldn't have to think of AP Stats at all this winter break.
The median is a center of spread, which could be interpreted many different ways. What would be even more interesting is if someone found the mean (average) or the inter-quartile range (IQR). That way, we could get some real statistical analysis on this hint.
  #259   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:26 PM
AKA: Steve Wart
FRC #2813 (Prospect GearHeads)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
stevwa64 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think these have to be referencing some FRC-related documents somewhere online. Possibly the FRC website, twitter feeds, Facebook, etc.

The updated awards manual was just posted.

61126 - the 6th word of section 6.11.2 is "Safe Driving"

http://frc-manual.usfirst.org/viewItem/9#6.11

None of the other numbers make any sense to me. Possibly they could be decoded to IP address of a server with more clues, but IP addresses are usually 4-tuples, not triplets.

Just grasping.

Steve
  #260   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:27 PM
FRC #2537

gabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemat View Post
I recall getting darn close in 2012.
Last year I'd say got pretty close.
  #261   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Active FIRST student
FRC #0314 (Megatron Oracles)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2006
Ronnie314 is just really niceRonnie314 is just really niceRonnie314 is just really niceRonnie314 is just really nice

Im calling baseball...just have that feeling. My opinion lol
Livonia District Winner (314,503,815)
Lansing District Finalist (314,503,4327)
Lansing District Chairmans
MSC Winner (27,33,314)
  #262   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Rebellious Egyptian
AKA: Mo Elhelw
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)

Rookie Year: 2006
karomata has much to be proud ofkaromata has much to be proud ofkaromata has much to be proud ofkaromata has much to be proud ofkaromata has much to be proud ofkaromata has much to be proud ofkaromata has much to be proud ofkaromata has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to karomata

So I've been watching this thread and this is my first time posting on this particular thread...

A while back there was discussion of the appliance of zip codes through the means of the digits, however we were looking at the locations and what was at that area. After looking through some of those areas and thinking it out a bit, I think these zip codes aren't about what's there, but instead, what has happened there.

Specifically, when the USA has held the Olympics, the zip codes defined are areas that have hosted the passing of the Olympic torch. Additionally, this year there will be another winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. The Olympics are often viewed as the ultimate sporting event, so it almost seems logical that FIRST would justify putting 2 years of effort into a game that identifies with the Olympics.

Putting this into a game, perhaps a large element of the game is based on passing field elements? However this doesn't seem likely because there is no guarantee that all teams will have the ability to pass the game object by competitions, and doing so would ruin the chances of alliances that they end up on. That is unless, the GDC found a way to do it that to be able to pass, it is so basic and teams are able to play around that element of the game if they wish, that it balances itself out.

This year the new sports added to the official Olympic sports list are:
Figure skating team event
Women's ski jumping
Mixed relay biathlon
Ski half-pipe
Team relay luge
Ski slopestyle
Snowboard slopestyle
Snowboard parallel special slalom

Perhaps the game pieces would stay on the ground, necessitating that robots only need to be able to move around to be able to pass, however teams may be able to develop aiming devices to improve their functionality. And then just to throw something way out there, maybe the endgame could be that you have to deliver a special game object to a giant cauldron to claim it for your alliance, similar to how the Olympic flame would ignite the cauldron.

I feel like I might be on to something or I've just finally lost my mind

"The FIRST rule of FIRST Robotics is always talk about FIRST Robotics"
"Strategy is 100% Robot Design, 40% Driver Skill, and 8% Spirit"
"Life is about legacy. Learning is about the legacies born before you"
2014 Finger Lakes Regional Chairman's Award Winner
2014 New York Tech Valley Regional Engineering Inspiration Winner
2013 Boston Regional Winners with 125 and 126
2012 Connecticut Regional Engineering Inspiration Winner
2011 DC Regional Chairman's Winners
  #263   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:42 PM
FRC #2021 (F.A.R)

Skidzoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe it has something to do with the Macy's Parade? I dunno, just throwing that out there.
  #264   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:45 PM
The guy stuck pushing the robot
AKA: Saikiran Ramanan
FRC #0696 (The Circuit Breakers)

Rookie Year: 2011
saikiranra is a name known to allsaikiranra is a name known to allsaikiranra is a name known to allsaikiranra is a name known to allsaikiranra is a name known to allsaikiranra is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidzoo View Post
Maybe it has something to do with the Macy's Parade? I dunno, just throwing that out there.
No, I believe that Macy's contacted FIRST to do that. Games, I also believe, are designed a year in advanced.
Website
  #265   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:48 PM
Anthony4004
FRC #4004 (MARS Rovers)
Team Role: Driver

Anthony4004 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok so they just released this video today to show the AndyMark team run by Andy himself. Andy is on in line with the kit of parts team and (from knowledge of a friend of a friend on the actually game commity) is knowledge slightly of the game. In the video Andy makes SEVERAL references to baseball. BOOM baseball game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJTpQ...ature=youtu.be
  #266   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Already having FRC withdrawal...
AKA: Catherine Landrum
FRC #3081 (RoboEagles)

CLandrum3081 has a reputation beyond reputeCLandrum3081 has a reputation beyond reputeCLandrum3081 has a reputation beyond reputeCLandrum3081 has a reputation beyond reputeCLandrum3081 has a reputation beyond reputeCLandrum3081 has a reputation beyond reputeCLandrum3081 has a reputation beyond reputeCLandrum3081 has a reputation beyond reputeCLandrum3081 has a reputation beyond reputeCLandrum3081 has a reputation beyond reputeCLandrum3081 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by karomata View Post
...Team relay luge...
Reading posts to my mom and she screams,
"IT'S AN UNDERWATER LUGE GAME!"

I've taught her so well.

FRC Team 3081 John F. Kennedy HS RoboEagles
2012: Rookie, person who does anything everyone else is too lazy to do, de facto scouting lead
2013: Co-Captain and Build Lead who still does anything everyone else is too lazy to do
2014: Co-Captain (AGAIN?!) and Scouting/Strategy/CAD/Pit Representative who has finally learned how to delegate tasks to others responsibly
2012 MN Land of 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 3747 ChaoTech and 525 Swartdogs)
2012 Inaugural MN State High School League 2nd Seed Alliance Captain and Runner-Up (with 3747 ChaoTech and 2232 Deus Ex Machina)
2013 Ehm.... not much! Attended Northern Lights and 10K
2014 Attended Wisconsin and MN Land of 10K Lakes Regionals
  #267   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:54 PM
AKA: Ben
FRC #0449 (The Blair Robot Project)

BleakRNS is just really niceBleakRNS is just really niceBleakRNS is just really niceBleakRNS is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tondogone View Post
Ok so they just released this video today to show the AndyMark team run by Andy himself. Andy is on in line with the kit of parts team and (from knowledge of a friend of a friend on the actually game commity) is knowledge slightly of the game. In the video Andy makes SEVERAL references to baseball. BOOM baseball game.
In addition, check out the last sentence of this blog post.

But they can't be that blatant, can they?
  #268   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:55 PM
AKA: Zach CH
FRC #1902 (Exploding Bacon)

StAxis is a splendid one to beholdStAxis is a splendid one to beholdStAxis is a splendid one to beholdStAxis is a splendid one to beholdStAxis is a splendid one to beholdStAxis is a splendid one to beholdStAxis is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to StAxis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tondogone View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJTpQ...ature=youtu.be
At this point I'm almost starting to think that baseball is actually to throw us off, it almost seems too obvious at this point...
  #269   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:56 PM
Mentor/Drive Coach
AKA: Shamus
FRC #0157 (Aztechs)

Rookie Year: 2002
The_ShamWOW88 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm leaning baseball having something to do with it (gameplay, game piece, etc) as of right now, unless something more significant is derived from the numbers.

Between the past few references about baseball to both towns having a reference to baseball, the Rockford Peaches and the Chicago Black Sox playing a game in Colchester after the betting scandal. Of course, this could be a carefully placed diversion too.

Student (2002 - 2006)
*2002 Philadelphia Regional Winner, #1 Seed
*2003 UTC Regional Winner
Mentor (2007 - Present)
*Still striving for excellence through inspiration
  #270   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2013, 11:02 PM
FRC #0340 (Greater Rochester Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2007
JOEL340 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by karomata View Post
So I've been watching this thread and this is my first time posting on this particular thread...

A while back there was discussion of the appliance of zip codes through the means of the digits, however we were looking at the locations and what was at that area. After looking through some of those areas and thinking it out a bit, I think these zip codes aren't about what's there, but instead, what has happened there.

Specifically, when the USA has held the Olympics, the zip codes defined are areas that have hosted the passing of the Olympic torch. Additionally, this year there will be another winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. The Olympics are often viewed as the ultimate sporting event, so it almost seems logical that FIRST would justify putting 2 years of effort into a game that identifies with the Olympics.

Putting this into a game, perhaps a large element of the game is based on passing field elements? However this doesn't seem likely because there is no guarantee that all teams will have the ability to pass the game object by competitions, and doing so would ruin the chances of alliances that they end up on. That is unless, the GDC found a way to do it that to be able to pass, it is so basic and teams are able to play around that element of the game if they wish, that it balances itself out.

This year the new sports added to the official Olympic sports list are:
Figure skating team event
Women's ski jumping
Mixed relay biathlon
Ski half-pipe
Team relay luge
Ski slopestyle
Snowboard slopestyle
Snowboard parallel special slalom

Perhaps the game pieces would stay on the ground, necessitating that robots only need to be able to move around to be able to pass, however teams may be able to develop aiming devices to improve their functionality. And then just to throw something way out there, maybe the endgame could be that you have to deliver a special game object to a giant cauldron to claim it for your alliance, similar to how the Olympic flame would ignite the cauldron.

I feel like I might be on to something or I've just finally lost my mind
Going off of what you have said the most anticipated sport that is played during the winter olympics is hockey. Maybe the GDC will focus on hockey rather then any other game because it is easier to play.
Finger Lakes Regional 2014 Engineering Inspiration
New York Tech Valley 2014 Chairmans Award
Ra Cha Cha Ruckus 2012 Winners
Buckeye Regional 2012 Champions
Buckeye Regional 2012 Engineering Inspiration
Finger Lakes Regional 2012 Chairmans Award
Finger Lakes Regional 2012 Finalists
Finger Lakes Regional 2011 Chairmans Award
Finger Lakes Regional 2011 Finalists
Finger Lakes Regional 2010 Chairmans Award

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: