OCCRA
Go to Post "What other program puts these role models on a first name basis with teenagers?" - Andy Baker [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 95 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
  #541   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 07:23 AM
Zen Archer
AKA: Senor Mas
FRC #0571 (Team Paragon)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
MooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond repute
Re: [FRC Blog] 2014 Game Hint

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-tim View Post
They have ins with Google?
They do have an "in". Sergey Brin has appeared at the CMP, and has recorded a testimonial to the importance of FIRST and the study of robotics.
Though the Japanese may be eating our lunch.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/23/sc....html?src=recg

The google search engine was adjusted several years ago to return usfirst.org as the top choice when you type in the words "first".

Quote:
And we all know Google rules everything on the web.
Not necessarily. There are other choices, but we are lazy. (me included).

Back to the game hint:
I think that the weight reduction may reflect an encouragement of modular designs that can be interchanged depending on the relative strengths of each of the robots in the alliances modular designs.

You may choose a robot that can gather game pieces, or score, or defend a goal, or be proficient at an endgame, but not all three at once.
This may be the GDC's way to encourage the robots in an alliance to interact with each other.
A la "The Atom Bomb" from Aim High, where one robot that was great at collecting balls fed another robot that was great at shooting.........balls.

The weight of each robot on the field will be less, but the withholding allowance will be much larger.

Has everyone finished wrapping their presents yet?
  #542   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:39 AM
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreteP View Post
...Has everyone finished wrapping their presents yet?
Are you kidding me? It's not even the Dec. 24th yet. I haven't even gone shopping!
2011 Sacramento Finalist, 2011 Madtown Engineering Inspiration Award
2012 Sacramento Semi-Finals, 2012 Sacramento Innovation in Control Award, 2012 SVR Judges Award.
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).
2013 Pow3rhou53 Pwnage Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC). Curie Division, Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up.
  #543   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:44 AM
FRC #4797

Mubtasim is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullen View Post
2 options:
The weight reduction isn't referring to the robot, its referring to the game piece - wiffle balls. Wind is important to this because as air flows through the wiffle ball, it impacts the flight path.
I really like the idea of wiffle ball. It would be a better challenge than baseball:
http://youtu.be/FXq5KvtNf4s
Also the Andy Baker in "Robot in 3 Days", shows something similar to baseball/wiffle ball game. http://youtu.be/wJTpQmPpjmY?t=22s
  #544   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:00 AM
FRC #2537
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2012
gabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Raia View Post
Dinner missed = plate/frisbee.
Holding weight= climbing the pyramid.

If youre here to discuss the relevance of game hints, youre in the wrong thread. If youre here to relate your favorite show or sport to the next frc game, youre in the wrong thread. The water game talk is common, but its been ridiculously overdone this year. Then again, I have no say over how you interpret the hint. Just keep it productive. Work off of others. This is how we get closer to answering these things.

Also I want to point out that in 2011 we were shown a picture of a LOCOMOTIVE well before the first game hint came out. Keep an eye on prior blog posts.
To me a "dinner missed" and "holding weight" also had the double meaning in that a "dinner missed" could be referred to as "tightening your belts", which would refer to the smaller robot dimensions, yet the robots weight would still hold--"holding weight"
  #545   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:10 AM
FRC #2537

gabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nicegabrielau23 is just really nice

I think that the most solid thing we have are the 25% weight reduction and the picture of the plane with the upside down name, along with baseball.
  #546   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:23 AM
FRC #2122 (Team Tators)

Rookie Year: 2008
mwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond reputemwmac has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW, a wiffle ball playfield is an inverted triangle...
http://www.wiffle.com/pages/game_rul...age=game_rules
2011 IRI Finalists 3138, 16, 2122, 1730, Utah Winners 2122, 399, 3239, MQA, Seattle Finalists 2122, 488, 2850, MQA
2010 Utah Winners 1696, 2122, 3405, ID Award, Sacramento Finalists 2122, 2035, 1834, ID Award,
2009 Sacramento Finalists 2144, 692, 115, 2122, MQA
2008 Sacramento Winners 2122, 1662, 115, Xerox Creativity Award
2007 Pacific Northwest Regional Highest Rookie Seed

"Enjoying traveling to more distant events" since 2007
  #547   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:33 AM
The Mad Cadder
FRC #1983 (Skunkworks Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2011
Flimsor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
They have ins with Google? And we all know Google rules everything on the web.
If everyone's so concerned with the web search, then why doesn't someone try it with Bing and see what happens? Sure it's going to be a little different because it's Bing, and there's a slight chance FIRST has a deal with them too, but it's worth a shot.

Thinking outside the box implies you have limited yourself in the first place.

Robots
  #548   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 12:19 PM
Zen Archer
FRC #0571 (Team Paragon)

MooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond reputeMooreteP has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it appears that it also works on Bing.
Also Dogpile, but they may be aggregating results from Bing and Google.

Back to the Game Hint..........
  #549   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 12:26 PM
FRC #2537

Hey could someone really quickly direct me on how they found the Google Maps things that led to the FIRST church, FIRST security, and Weight limit reduced 25% signs?
  #550   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 12:55 PM
FRC #0997

Andrew Langevin is an unknown quantity at this point

Used the Game Hint to get coordinates. Then I put different groupings of the coordinates into Google maps. This led me to four places. The Sahara Desert, the Congo, and two points near the Marianas Trench. This leads me to believe that the entire game is going to be some sort of extremes, like a mixture of uneven land, some water, and some sand. More evidence proving this is that FLL is also doing something that is sort of along the same lines. Anyways, this hint is just really bugging me and comes out as gibberish that doesn't mean anything any other way.
  #551   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Zen Archer
FRC #0571 (Team Paragon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielau23 View Post
Hey could someone really quickly direct me on how they found the Google Maps things that led to the FIRST church, FIRST security, and Weight limit reduced 25% signs?
I understand that this thread can become arduous to work through, but you will find all of the answers to your questions in the 36+ pages that preceded your question.
If you have the time, it may be worth your time. :-)

Not mine, I bought more gifts this morning that I need to wrap now.

Otherwise, suffice it to say that:
Google maps.
Latitude and Longitude.
Weight limits.
Rockford, Illinois.
Skating clubs.
FIRST Security.
Hockey or baseball or.....curling!!!
Something about three things.
Patents.
3v3v3, or 2v2v2, or.....

...spend time with family and friends and try to explain to them why you may be busy for the 6 weeks after 1/4/12.
  #552   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 01:49 PM
Comandante
AKA: Andrew A. Matthews
FRC #2512 (Duluth East Daredevils)
Team Role: Tactician

WaterClaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Hartley View Post
-----Posting pause as people consider hint-----

This thread will explode in roughly 10 minutes.
Boom. 37 pages of posts. Post number 552.
Insanity is correlative only to the standards of a culture. Cultures are often defined by their technology. Technology only advances by the efforts of those who would be considered insane. So thank your local FIRST team for advancing society.

Last edited by WaterClaw : 12-23-2013 at 01:54 PM.
  #553   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute
/sarcasm

Guys, this is extremely relevant!

http://imgur.com/gallery/AGG99GS

Football game. Finally!

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #554   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:24 PM
FRC #0111 (Wildstang)

Kovac is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreteP View Post
...spend time with family and friends and try to explain to them why you may be busy for the 6 weeks after 1/4/12.

don't let the cat out of the bag...............

I will take a stab at one set of numbers!
I not sure if this have been passed over yet....
but..... 61126/1963 = 50 years

zip zode 61126 turned 50 in 2013
http://open.salon.com/blog/steven_ro...e_to_celebrate

also this fact
"ZIP codes are a system of postal codes used by the United States Postal Service (USPS) since 1963. The term ZIP, an acronym for Zone Improvement Plan,"
"By the early 1960s a more organized system was needed, and on July 1, 1963, non-mandatory ZIP codes were announced for the entire country"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZIP_code

but thats all I have come up with so far

so pitch that into your mail box!
  #555   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Comandante
AKA: Andrew A. Matthews
FRC #2512 (Duluth East Daredevils)
Team Role: Tactician

WaterClaw is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielau23 View Post
I think that the most solid thing we have are the 25% weight reduction and the picture of the plane with the upside down name, along with baseball.
Upside down flying, overweight, robot Base ball? Programmers would be panicking. Build team would be breaking down.Electronics would be evacuating. Complete and utter chaos would ensue!

Can't wait
Insanity is correlative only to the standards of a culture. Cultures are often defined by their technology. Technology only advances by the efforts of those who would be considered insane. So thank your local FIRST team for advancing society.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: