OCCRA
Go to Post I have a feeling that we're about to deprive the world of Poof balls for a while. - DCA Fan [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 05:35 AM
Ken Leung's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Dare to Live!
FRC #0115 (Monta Vista Robotics Team)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ken Leung
Lightbulb Should we plan a gift to FIRST or Dean?

After reading that huge thread posted by Kate of 190 about asking why people are doing FIRST, it made me thinking...

Will it be possible if we plan a gift for FIRST next year, where we put together a lot of little stories like those responds that talk about how FIRST affected out lives and how we are thankful for that. Show FIRST how much they've done to us, what kind of effect it have on everyone who participate in FIRST...

Another crazy idea I just came up with a second ago... how about we have each person who are willing to contribute in this, have each of them machine a part, and at national we get together and put together the parts to become a big functional machine that will look extremely cool? It will be something like the team where the members are students from different states working over the Internet and finally put together the robot at competition... Or that machine on the 2001 small parts catalog…

I know these two suggestions are weird, but please don't be afraid to make fun of me because they are completely ridiculous ideas.

But then again, I am sure it's already ridiculous enough that no one will really reply to this message anyway...

But still... I am hoping we can put together a gift to FIRST and/or Dean...
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 07:21 AM
no team (Volunteer)

Robby O is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Robby O
Thumbs up Well, I had thought...

About making a rather large statue of the FIRST logo character on the button I made for Autodesk this year. Its up in the CD MISC Gallery. But the machine Idea sounds really cool. How about a clock with an afro and button storing capabilities that balances on 2 wheels??? I'm sure both Dean and Woody would get a kick outta that one.

Also, no one has come up with any FIRST-specific buddy Icons yet (and yes, I've seen Grivooga's Gear and Erins Robot Luvin Icon, but bah, lemme have my fun! B^P)? Well, something original that is... Hmm... I've got a few ideas. Time to get some digital wheels a rollin...
"If I had it in me
To stop these random thoughts
And non-stop dreams
I could deal with this
Non-stop spinning world" -Less Than Jake
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 02:35 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
I have a feeling that if we all machine parts (don't even look at me for that....my idea of machining is a drill press) they won't fit together. Or was the idea to design something as a group? I'm thinking there won't be time to do any of this. I can see it now: I can't work on the robot today because I'm making random parts for Dean. My team would love me for that.

Matt who is a poor college student and thinks Dean is rich enough to buy himself gifts
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 02:49 PM
Forward.
no team

Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I hope you guys dont expect this to be a secret.....

.....::waves to Tammy & all the unregistered watchers from FIRST::
Advisor, NE FIRST
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 03:41 PM
Dare to Live!

Ken Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond reputeKen Leung has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up way to shoot down my idea

Hey Matt, way to shoot down that idea. I couldn't say it better myself...

But Seriously, I think we can still do something before or after the 6-week period. And it won't require too much work from each person. Are you familiar with those McDonald toys where you can buy each individual toy, and then you can put them together and suddenly they are connected into something way more interesting...

I like Robby's idea about a clock. Maybe we can make a clock better than the clock of the Chairman's award?

About Jess's comment... I think if we keep shooting my ideas down in here, it will seems to them that we aren't doing anything later... Well, they will never know, will they?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 03:54 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)

Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
Re: way to shoot down my idea

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Leung

But Seriously, I think we can still do something before or after the 6-week period. And it won't require too much work from each person. Are you familiar with those McDonald toys where you can buy each individual toy, and then you can put them together and suddenly they are connected into something way more interesting...
[/b]
Are you suggesting we get Dean McDonald's toys? I think that MIGHT fit my budget.....

Matt
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 05:39 PM
Git 'em!
no team (Robot in 3 Days)

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Rudolph
heres an idea

Why dont we make the worlds largest pin? For the graphics we take the graphics/pictures fromf all the teams and make a photo mosiac that is the first logo.

Andrew
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 09:22 PM
cd addicted ninny
#0419 (rambots)

mike o'leary is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mike o'leary Send a message via AIM to mike o'leary Send a message via Yahoo to mike o'leary
hmmm not a bad idea...

working of what andrew said, what we could also use pictures of every bot ever made by first teams in the thing

***ninny pride***
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 09:38 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute
For the man who has EVERYTHING...

What about a Denim Tuxedo... I dunno about anyone else but it was kind of unnerving for me to see the picture of him accepting the medal of technology without his usual garb.
Deano could have a whole plethora of Denim Clothing... it could be the new style... just think "now YOU can dress like the famous inventor of IT"

~John #250 (who is already regretting mentioning IT in a post)
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-07-2001, 09:54 PM
cd addicted ninny
#0419 (rambots)

mike o'leary is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mike o'leary Send a message via AIM to mike o'leary Send a message via Yahoo to mike o'leary
good thinking: id been trying to work denim into my idea but failed miserably

***ninny pride***
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-08-2001, 08:51 AM
#0128 (The Botcats)
Team Role: Alumni

Mimi Brown is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Mimi Brown Send a message via Yahoo to Mimi Brown
heh heh heh! The denim tux would be awesome!!!!
That idea has my vote!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2001, 09:58 AM
#0353 (Pobots)

Stacy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Stacy
Smile good ideas!

Some of the ideas are really good. I don't know what you guys mean by making a "button" but what if we were to make a giant collage with all the robots from 2001. If we gave each team the requirements for the size, shape, etc. we would be able to just put it all together at nationals. I'd love to get involved in helping with this. We all love dean and woody, and we should let them know
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2001, 11:18 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Let's use the 2002 robots!

Hey-
If we're gonna do the collage, why use the old robots. We can all bring pictures of our brand-spanking new 2002 robots. Someone could just have a huge board or something set up somewhere and all the teams could come attach their contribution.

~John
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-10-2001, 11:21 AM
AKA: Angela (Hall) Leese
FRC #3455 (Carpe Robotum)

A. Leese has a spectacular aura aboutA. Leese has a spectacular aura about
I like the idea of the robot photo mosiac, but I also give points to Matt for pointing out the McDonald's toy idea. I'm sure that's SO helpful to all of you knowing who I do and don't agree with. Sorry I didn't have any ideas to offer up myself.

~Angela who just can't think before noon
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-12-2001, 07:07 AM
Dare to Live!

Thumbs up seems like there are actually some good idea here...

I certainly love the idea about putting together the pictures of next year's robot together...

And about Robby's idea of making the FIRST logo, maybe we can use team's logo to do that, that is if we are having the robot photo mosaic too...

I doubt if we should really just buy McDonald toys and give them to Dean/Woodie. I really think it should be something we actually make, just like the robots (I am sure they won't like teams using a robot that's bought from a toy store...).

Right now, I think gathering pictures from different team is a great way to go. Not only can we help FIRST gather all the picture of the robots so they can show the photo on the screen when the awards are given (Xerox creativity award, etc), but it is actually something that can be done.

Do people remember the board Buzz had at National where they college peopleˇ¦s signature and use that as a gift? Maybe we can do something like that... Only Three different things:

A robot photo mosaic for Dean.

A FIRST logo made up of team logos OR robot photos for FIRST

Maybe something big made up of the buttons from each teams (one per each team) for Woodie. Maybe a wall of buttons that will match with Woodie's vest of buttons? How about a giant button with all the buttons on it? This way, when he stand in front of the ˇ§thingˇ¨ no one can really tell if he is in there?

I really think this is something we can actually do, although it will take some coordination and some actual effortˇK But I am willing to do it, how about you? Itˇ¦s only JuneˇK

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: