Go to Post rookie teams are like kids - making them is easy but raising them to maturity can kill you - Wayne C. [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Old Forum Archives > 2001
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-24-2002, 12:27 AM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
I need some help with scouting

Posted by Adrienne at 02/25/2001 7:07 PM EST

Student on team #191, X-Cats, from Wilson and Xerox.

As many of you may know, the list of the team web sites on the us first web site is off line. I was wondering what other teams may be doing to do some pre-competition scouting. So please reply with any suggestions.
-Team 191

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
tons of databases, none of them successful...

Posted by Anton Abaya at 02/25/2001 7:19 PM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and WHO NEEDS SPONSORS WHEN YOU HAVE DETERMINATION!.

In Reply to: I need some help with scouting
Posted by Adrienne on 02/25/2001 7:07 PM EST:

prolly because there's too many and there isnt a CENTRAL database.

my suggestion is u just look through the pictures on this site and figure out what they're doing and scout the robots that way.

happy hunting.

-anton
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: tons of databases, none of them successful...

Posted by Alan Federman at 02/25/2001 8:00 PM EST

Engineer on team #255, Odyssey, from Foothill HS, San Jose and NASA.

In Reply to: tons of databases, none of them successful...
Posted by Anton Abaya on 02/25/2001 7:19 PM EST:

I KEEP TELLING YOU THERE IS A U-FILL-IT-IN data BASE.

But so far only 14 out of the 600 teams out there have
bothered to use it - so SHAME ON YOU!.

Thanks team 56 - last guys to contribute - hope you all
do well in your regionals see ya at Epcot.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-24-2002, 12:28 AM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Patrick Dingle at 02/25/2001 8:17 PM EST

Coach on team #639, Red B^2, from Ithaca High School and Cornell University.

In Reply to: Re: tons of databases, none of them successful...
Posted by Alan Federman on 02/25/2001 8:00 PM EST:

The point is... There are just too many databases for teams to fill out. Each one has its own advantages (if EVERYONE were to use them). With so many databases, and so few teams registering on each, it's not really worth it for a teams to try and get to them all.

Patrick

: I KEEP TELLING YOU THERE IS A U-FILL-IT-IN data BASE.

: But so far only 14 out of the 600 teams out there have
: bothered to use it - so SHAME ON YOU!.

: Thanks team 56 - last guys to contribute - hope you all
: do well in your regionals see ya at Epcot.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by EddieMcD at 02/25/2001 11:11 PM EST

Student on team #121, Islanders, from Middletown High School and NUWC.

Posted by Patrick Dingle on 02/25/2001 8:17 PM EST:

Grr (340) made one that you download. It is great for scouting.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Michael Spryn at 02/26/2001 11:48 AM EST

Engineer on team #340, Grr, from Churchville-Chili High School and Nortel Networks.

Posted by EddieMcD on 02/25/2001 11:11 PM EST:

: Grr (340) made one that you download. It is great for scouting.

The Grr (340) database is available at:

http://www.cccsd.org/grr/db.htm

It also contains team info (including which sites they are attending), scoring system, and more...

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Looking for more info

Posted by Adrienne at 02/26/2001 3:34 PM EST

Student on team #191, X-Cats, from Wilson and Xerox.

Posted by Michael Spryn on 02/26/2001 11:48 AM EST:

I have downloaded the GRR database, but I'm trying to find somewhere to get the info to fill it with. I've gone though this web site and the gallery of photo's but otherwise I can't find anyother place that has a list of like team web sites or just info about thier robot. Any suggestions for this??

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: Looking for more info

Posted by EddieMcD at 02/26/2001 6:40 PM EST

Student on team #121, Islanders, from Middletown High School and NUWC.

In Reply to: Looking for more info
Posted by Adrienne on 02/26/2001 3:34 PM EST:

Check the FIRST site.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Mike Soukup at 02/26/2001 12:11 AM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling and Motorola.

In Reply to: tons of databases, none of them successful...
Posted by Anton Abaya on 02/25/2001 7:19 PM EST:

I hate to say this, but I see a lot of people complaining about the lack of a central database, and I only saw one discussion about creating one. If everyone wants a central database, get together and create one.

Speaking from the experience of teaming up with SOAP, it takes a lot of work to join two databases. I know that SOAP was talking with GMCIA about sharing data this year, but they had already developed their own systems and couldn't reconcile them. It's too late to do it this year, but next year is a different story. I want to get a list of people who want to join forces next year to create a way to either share data between databases or join to one big DB. So either email me, or stop by the WASH w/ SOAP station at WMI, Midwest, or Nationals so we can talk. Then I'll get together with Kenny (SOAP) and Nate (GMCIA) and come up with a plan.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by soap108 at 02/26/2001 10:12 PM EST

Engineer on team #108, SigmaC@T, from Dillard & Taravella HS and Motorola.

Posted by Mike Soukup on 02/26/2001 12:11 AM EST:

As Mike correctly alluded to, combining of DB's is in our technology roadmap (Motorola term).

If indeed students are the primary complainers about lack of cross-team development in the db arena then I forgive you. You have little/no clue as to the effort required by such a task. Please be more considerate about what you say...even in an open discussion board.

KA

: I hate to say this, but I see a lot of people complaining about the lack of a central database, and I only saw one discussion about creating one. If everyone wants a central database, get together and create one.

: Speaking from the experience of teaming up with SOAP, it takes a lot of work to join two databases. I know that SOAP was talking with GMCIA about sharing data this year, but they had already developed their own systems and couldn't reconcile them. It's too late to do it this year, but next year is a different story. I want to get a list of people who want to join forces next year to create a way to either share data between databases or join to one big DB. So either email me, or stop by the WASH w/ SOAP station at WMI, Midwest, or Nationals so we can talk. Then I'll get together with Kenny (SOAP) and Nate (GMCIA) and come up with a plan.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Mike Soukup at 02/26/2001 10:45 PM EST

Engineer on team #111, Wildstang, from Rolling Meadows & Wheeling and Motorola.

Posted by soap108 on 02/26/2001 10:12 PM EST:

At our team meeting earlier today, I was talking to a bunch of people who are in the dark about what my little sub-team is doing. So I tried to explain how we're sharing data with SOAP and how difficult it is. I realized that the best way to describe the difficulty is that it's a managerial problem, not a technical one.

Kenny & I could get our teams to share all the data in our DB's within a couple of days. The problem is the two teams agreeing on what data to store and what data to share. Each team has different requirements for the data, depending on what their strategy team wants to do with it. Now try adding 5 more teams to the mix. That's where the difficulty comes in.

For next year, we could all agree on the technical issues before the competition. Then once we learn what the competition is, we could all debate what data is useful.

Mike
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: ......databases.......successful...

Posted by soap108 at 02/27/2001 12:23 AM EST

Posted by Mike Soukup on 02/26/2001 10:45 PM EST:

Great point.

And much praise goes to Team 45 for fully supporting WASH/SOAP despite not providing Any input as to how or what the programs will do. They haven't even asked. That is some level of trust they have for us!

Also thanks go out to teams like 74, 221?, 267, and several others for buying-in to supporting WASH/SOAP. Thank you!!!!

;-)
KA

: At our team meeting earlier today, I was talking to a bunch of people who are in the dark about what my little sub-team is doing. So I tried to explain how we're sharing data with SOAP and how difficult it is. I realized that the best way to describe the difficulty is that it's a managerial problem, not a technical one.

: Kenny & I could get our teams to share all the data in our DB's within a couple of days. The problem is the two teams agreeing on what data to store and what data to share. Each team has different requirements for the data, depending on what their strategy team wants to do with it. Now try adding 5 more teams to the mix. That's where the difficulty comes in.

: For next year, we could all agree on the technical issues before the competition. Then once we learn what the competition is, we could all debate what data is useful.

: Mike

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Riding the coattails of 108 and 111

Posted by Andy Baker at 02/27/2001 11:50 AM EST

Engineer on team #45, TechnoKats, from Kokomo High School and Delphi Automotive Systems.

In Reply to: Re: ......databases.......successful...
Posted by soap108 on 02/27/2001 12:23 AM EST:

: Great point.

: And much praise goes to Team 45 for fully supporting WASH/SOAP despite not providing Any input as to how or what the programs will do. They haven't even asked. That is some level of trust they have for us!

LOL!

Let's see, it's a combination of a few things:

1. You gotta have Faith. We (team 45) have great respect for both teams, 108 and 111, and faith in their judgement. You guys are both full of class and expertise. We are pretty much your servants on this one. Tell us what to do and we'll do it. We know our role... we just hope that we are doing enough. We will use whatever you give us and help out as much as we can.

2. We're not really that picky when it comes to scouting. Our students are making some data sheets on each team that we are playing with at the Regionals, but these will be pretty simple. Right now, any information that we get is gravy. Once we see a competition, there may be things that we didn't think to look for that come up... and we'll adjust... we always do.

3. Resources. We really don't have anyone concentrating on scouting, until recently. Our lead student scout is also one of our lead animators, so he's spread thin. Right now, we're playing catch-up.

4. Besides match strategy, we also focus on tactical play... that is the ability to make changes that make our team better. Not only changes to the robot, but also changes to our strategy. Think about it this way... many football games are won by the changes made during halftime. These are tactical changes to the original strategy. Right now, we don't know what tactical changes that may be made, but we gotta be ready for them.

4.a. In order to make tactical changes, we record the results and performance of every match and WRITE DOWN how we messed up of how we succeeded. This way, we can refer back to the performance sheet of a match and look at different variables that made us good or bad... was is a driver error, a coaching error, strategy error, a robot error, or just bad luck? We fill out this sheet right after the match, and review things right away... that way we don't forget. Then, once changes need to be made, we focus on the variables that cause the bad results.

Oh well, I've rambled enough.

Andy B.

#14   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: Riding the coattails of 108”Ę and 111

Posted by soap108 at 02/28/2001 12:54 AM EST

In Reply to: Riding the coattails of 108 and 111
Posted by Andy Baker on 02/27/2001 11:50 AM EST:

Thought you'd like that. ;~)

And, Yes you're helping in the areas with the most need-> Persons and Visors. Being able to take shifts is a huge plus.

By the time the regionals are over, we'll have meat, potatoes, and lots of 'gravy'.

p.s. Thanks so much for not making our meetings run on. (Ask Raul what that means. ;-) Nah, he's a good guy; and his inputs upgraded the value-added of the db's. Just need to get him onboard sooner...like at the NH Kickoff...maybe even start making appointments for 2002 meetings now....

1 week+ to WMI! any chance of seeing hi's above 40”Ę or 50”Ę in grand rapids? Its a nice 70-80”Ę down here in FL...i'm tempted to stay home and send someone else...heh

KA
¢¼¢¾♦¢Ą

: : Great point.

: : And much praise goes to Team 45 for fully supporting WASH/SOAP despite not providing Any input as to how or what the programs will do. They haven't even asked. That is some level of trust they have for us!

: LOL!

: Let's see, it's a combination of a few things:

: 1. You gotta have Faith. We (team 45) have great respect for both teams, 108 and 111, and faith in their judgement. You guys are both full of class and expertise. We are pretty much your servants on this one. Tell us what to do and we'll do it. We know our role... we just hope that we are doing enough. We will use whatever you give us and help out as much as we can.

: 2. We're not really that picky when it comes to scouting. Our students are making some data sheets on each team that we are playing with at the Regionals, but these will be pretty simple. Right now, any information that we get is gravy. Once we see a competition, there may be things that we didn't think to look for that come up... and we'll adjust... we always do.

: 3. Resources. We really don't have anyone concentrating on scouting, until recently. Our lead student scout is also one of our lead animators, so he's spread thin. Right now, we're playing catch-up.

: 4. Besides match strategy, we also focus on tactical play... that is the ability to make changes that make our team better. Not only changes to the robot, but also changes to our strategy. Think about it this way... many football games are won by the changes made during halftime. These are tactical changes to the original strategy. Right now, we don't know what tactical changes that may be made, but we gotta be ready for them.

: 4.a. In order to make tactical changes, we record the results and performance of every match and WRITE DOWN how we messed up of how we succeeded. This way, we can refer back to the performance sheet of a match and look at different variables that made us good or bad... was is a driver error, a coaching error, strategy error, a robot error, or just bad luck? We fill out this sheet right after the match, and review things right away... that way we don't forget. Then, once changes need to be made, we focus on the variables that cause the bad results.

: Oh well, I've rambled enough.

: Andy B.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

don't give up yet

Posted by Ken Patton at 03/01/2001 6:11 PM EST

Engineer on team #65, The Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted by Mike Soukup on 02/26/2001 12:11 AM EST:

There might still be the possibility for GMCIA and SOAP/WASH to collaborate. As long as there are not too many differences in the scouting sheets, I think GMCIA might be able to convert the SOAP/WASH data to a form that can be included in the GMCIA database. As I understand it many of the important scouted criteria are the same, and one of the differences is the added ratings SOAP/WASH gives to each criteria (something GMCIA does not do for ease/simplicity).

Would you guys be open to the idea of trying to share data?

Ken

btw, when I hear SOAP/WASH, I think of Darrel Waltrip!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: