Go to Post Win, Lose or Tie, but do it in a way that FIRSTers will be talking about for years to come! - Bill Moore [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Old Forum Archives > 2001
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-24-2002, 12:31 AM
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
Non-traditional prepping for the regional.....

Posted by Jessica Boucher at 02/27/2001 6:49 AM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

Ok, everyone knows that there are certain things you need to do before you go to a regional (make buttons/cheering thingys, pack your cart, get permission slips together, etc.)

But what do you personally do to get ready for the regional?

This includes listening to music, wearing certain things, etc....

Me? All last week I wore all my non-my-team realted t-shirts, including my volunteer shirts.

Good luck, everyone!
-Jessica B, #237

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

archiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond reputearchiver has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Non-traditional prepping for the regional.....

Posted by Tim Baird at 02/27/2001 7:22 AM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompei, from Massachusetts Academy of Math and Science and WPI.

In Reply to: Non-traditional prepping for the regional.....
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 02/27/2001 6:49 AM EST:

I like to listen to some FIRST music that I don't normally listen to, ex. anything by venga boys, republica, crush, no ricky martin, then the classics like eye of the tiger, play that funky music white boy and lowrider. That way, I'll be into the swing of things and FIRSTmode before even getting to my first regional of the year.
Works for me, give it a try,
Tim

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Deej- T190 at 02/27/2001 9:05 AM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompeii, from Mass Academy and WPI.

In Reply to: Re: Non-traditional prepping for the regional.....
Posted by Tim Baird on 02/27/2001 7:22 AM EST:

I normally like to take a few finals in classes just before I go to regionals. For some reason my life seems complete after I have taken them. In case you can't tell, the sarcasm can be cut with a knife. Really, I honestly start to think about how comp is going to go, work on strategy and listen to FIRST related music really loud to get the entire effect going.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Becky Allen at 02/27/2001 6:00 PM EST

Other on team #356, The Enigma, from North Little Rock High School and Pulaski Academy and UALR/BEI/Controlled Automation/Hendrix College.

Posted by Deej- T190 on 02/27/2001 9:05 AM EST:

Well, I can't be sarcastic here. I really am going to be taking finals the week before I go to a regional. Boy oh boy, I can't wait. FIRST will be my vacation. Woohoo...! I can't wait to hear "Barbie Girl".
Becky

: I normally like to take a few finals in classes just before I go to regionals. For some reason my life seems complete after I have taken them. In case you can't tell, the sarcasm can be cut with a knife. Really, I honestly start to think about how comp is going to go, work on strategy and listen to FIRST related music really loud to get the entire effect going.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Patrick Dingle at 02/27/2001 10:04 AM EST

Coach on team #639, Red B^2, from Ithaca High School and Cornell University.

Speaking of FIRST music... someone should make an official FIRST CD.

Patrick, who proceeds to make a FIRST folder in his Music folder.

: I like to listen to some FIRST music that I don't normally listen to, ex. anything by venga boys, republica, crush, no ricky martin, then the classics like eye of the tiger, play that funky music white boy and lowrider. That way, I'll be into the swing of things and FIRSTmode before even getting to my first regional of the year.
: Works for me, give it a try,
: Tim

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by EddieMcD at 02/27/2001 7:44 PM EST

Student on team #121, Islanders, from Middletown High School and NUWC.

Eye of the Tiger works. That gets me ready for any type of competition.

On the road to the comp., I actually listen to wrestling themes (it's weird, but it keeps me focused).

I get my shirt ready for careful pin placement. As you can see by my photo up top, I didn't do too well last year. Turned my shirt from an L to a 3XL. I'll probably get a vest this year.

I'll prepare for any special tasks I might have. This year, I'll be practicing my shooting motion.

Also, I purposely get no sleep before a competition. I also eat rather light until after we go back to the hotel. Food hinders performance for whatever job you do. Water and the occasional cup of Coke work.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

FIRST Music...shirts....Freez-It stockpile packed ;o)

Posted by Lora Knepper at 02/27/2001 8:08 PM EST

Other on team #73, Tigerbolt, from Rochester Institute of Technology / Edison Tech HS and Alstom and Fiber Technologies.

In Reply to: Non-traditional prepping for the regional.....
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 02/27/2001 6:49 AM EST:

*boots up Winamp at volumes that the neighbors prolly don't like .... change playlist to "FIRST Music"*

*Grabs a few pins from her best friends teams and wears them on her backpack from 1 week before NE to 1 week post national*

*Throws the cans of Freez-It she's been hoarding into the backpack for teams in need*

*cycles through FIRST shirts...team and non-team....takes about 2 weeks*

*harrasses anyone within IM or earshot about FIRST...no wait, that's all the time ;o) *

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

about the buttons...

Posted by Erin at 02/28/2001 7:52 AM EST

Other on team #65, Huskie Brigade, from Pontiac Northern High School and GM Powertrain.

In Reply to: FIRST Music...shirts....Freez-It stockpile packed ;o)
Posted by Lora Knepper on 02/27/2001 8:08 PM EST:

man, they really dont like those things going through the metal detector. gave me a nice big attitude 2 times they did in 99!

-erin

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: about the buttons...

Posted by EddieMcD at 02/28/2001 4:49 PM EST

Student on team #121, Islanders, from Middletown High School and NUWC.

In Reply to: about the buttons...
Posted by Erin on 02/28/2001 7:52 AM EST:

Erin, I never had a problem at the airport with my shirt. And I have a lot more buttons than the average FIRST person. Take a look at my pic.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

lol....short story

Posted by Lora Knepper at 02/28/2001 5:39 PM EST

Other on team #73, Tigerbolt, from Rochester Institute of Technology / Edison Tech HS and Alstom and Fiber Technologies.

In Reply to: about the buttons...
Posted by Erin on 02/28/2001 7:52 AM EST:

Erin,

Last year I made the mistake of putting them all on my hat and forgetting they were there when we were getting on the plane in FL....then it took me a minute to remember I had 5lbs of aluminum on my head and that's why the stupid thing went off! ;o)

~ lora

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Re: lol....short story

Posted by Michael "Special K" Krass at 02/28/2001 6:54 PM EST

Other on team #271, Mechanical Marauders, from Bay Shore High School and Verizon.

In Reply to: lol....short story
Posted by Lora Knepper on 02/28/2001 5:39 PM EST:

: Erin,

: Last year I made the mistake of putting them all on my hat and forgetting they were there when we were getting on the plane in FL....then it took me a minute to remember I had 5lbs of aluminum on my head and that's why the stupid thing went off! ;o)

: ~ lora

That's nothing. . .

Last year, I found myself trying to explain to the attendant at the airport check-in counter why I had a 20 pound box of nuts and bolts as my carry-on luggage. Then, when we went through the metal detector, we had to open the whole thing up and show the nice people that keep my plane from blowing up what was inside. It turned out that all the xray picked up was a huge mass of metal.

Then, they made me place the box in my overhead compartment, so if we hit any turbulence, it was sure to fall out and kill me.

~ Michael ~

#12   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Deej- T190 at 02/28/2001 11:36 PM EST

Engineer on team #190, Gompeii, from Mass Academy and WPI.

In Reply to: Re: lol....short story
Posted by Michael on 02/28/2001 6:54 PM EST:

in 99, our head engineer nick on team 42 had a drill, a hammer, and about 30lbs of metal rods in his carry on luggage going to florida. weird thing was they never asked any questions.........go figure

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Michael "Special K" Krass at 03/01/2001 8:44 AM EST

Other on team #271, Mechanical Marauders, from Bay Shore High School and Verizon.

Posted by Deej- T190 on 02/28/2001 11:36 PM EST:

: in 99, our head engineer nick on team 42 had a drill, a hammer, and about 30lbs of metal rods in his carry on luggage going to florida. weird thing was they never asked any questions.........go figure

We had a cordless drill with us as well. We had to check it, though, as they wouldn't allow it on the plane, no matter how many times we assured them that we did not want an overhead compartment as a souvenir.

~ Michael ~
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

they told me to remove the batteries in my megaphone (EOM)

Posted by Anton Abaya at 03/04/2001 10:37 PM EST

Coach on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / BC High and WHO NEEDS SPONSORS WHEN YOU HAVE DETERMINATION!.

Posted by Michael on 03/01/2001 8:44 AM EST:

$@#$@#$@#$@# ninnies.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Forum Archival System
#0047 (ChiefDelphi)

Posted by Nate Smith at 03/02/2001 3:53 PM EST

Other on team #66, Frostbite, from Willow Run High School and GM Powertrain.

Posted by Deej- T190 on 02/28/2001 11:36 PM EST:

: in 99, our head engineer nick on team 42 had a drill, a hammer, and about 30lbs of metal rods in his carry on luggage going to florida. weird thing was they never asked any questions.........go figure

They stopped me last year because of some allen wrenches I had in my carry-on...

Nate

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: