OCCRA
Go to Post After talking with the students on these teams I could see the light in their eyes. These were their robots! Inspired? That would be a definate YES! - Steve W [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 2.33 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2001, 04:22 PM
GET IT ON!!
FRC #0121 (Rhode Warrior)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Kyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud ofKyle Fenton has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Kyle Fenton
Claimed CD-Protection

http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/ne...t/cd121701.htm

It seems that Universal has claimed what we all feared. A CD that can't be ripped. Personally I don't know how they did it, but it seem to get it working. There is a lengthy discussion @ http://www.macrumors.com/forums/show...3?threadid=781

However, no matter what they can accomplish, I can still use a line in, at my microphone jack. So seriously the only thing I think they accomplish is to make the process a little more confusing and annoying.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2001, 04:26 PM
D.J. Fluck

there will be ways around it...
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2001, 06:26 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Not music, but....

I have a CD that is techincally "burn proof" ....The game is Operation Flashpoint....

The user manual comes with a warning stating
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Copy commercial games, such as this, is copyright infringement and is a criminal offence. Copying and re-supplying games can lead to a term of imprisonment for up to 10 years."

Think of a copied game like stolen property.

This Codemasters game is protected by the FADE protection system. If you purchase an illegal copy of the game, you will be able to play it--but not for long. As you play, the gameplay of a pirated copy will degrade.

Make sure this doesnt happen to you. Purchase only genuine software at legitimate stores.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(even though this isnt music)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2001, 07:26 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
The way that they protect these CD's is by breaking the redbook (I believe it's the redbook) standard for Compact Discs. They cannot advertise the copyprotected CD's with the Compact Disc logo. My understanding of the whole scheme is that it puts incorrect values for the checksums for various parts of the CD (the checksum is a calculated value that is based on a segment of data; it verifies that the data is uncorrupted). This causes some CD drives (namely those on computers among some others) to not be able to read these disks. I don't think these discs will take off and even if they do, expect for CD drives that can work around this to come out soon.

Matt
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2001, 10:17 PM
Now at sub 14's in a 5000lb vehicle
AKA: Maher Attallah
FRC #0005 (Robocards)

Matt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Attallah Send a message via MSN to Matt Attallah Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Attallah
Matt,

You are correct. That is why you can't copy some of the Play-Station games, but there are programs that are out there to "fix" that. If you look, I AM NOT SAYING TO, but if you do, you will find there are "ISO Rippers" and that will fix the checksum to the correct format. And the book is the "Orange Book"...
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2001, 06:03 PM
FRC #0005 (Robocards)

Matt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Attallah has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Attallah Send a message via MSN to Matt Attallah Send a message via Yahoo to Matt Attallah
Talking Hahahahahaha

Hahahahahaha,

The copy-write protection doesn't work. If anyone out there watch the Screen Savers on TechTV, than you know Patrick Norton ACCIDENTLY "broke" it and ripped away. LOL. I think they have to go back to the drawing board...
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2001, 08:57 PM
#0759 (SPORK)

mehtank is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to mehtank Send a message via AIM to mehtank
/.

there has been an extensive discussion of this at www.slashdot.org [as usual]

i can't be bothered to look up an actual link to the post, but i'm sure it's not hard to find

-ANkuR
we're nerds. this matters.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2001, 11:42 AM
#0932 (Circuit Chargers)

Ydnar is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Ydnar
Here's my thoughts on the burn proof CD, If there's a way to secure it there's a way to reverse it... i know that you can burn any CD music to diablo 2 to any other type of CD's which are considered burn proof, copy every thing off the cd, you might even want to do a "copy *.*" in dos to get all the files then toss them in a folder on your hard drive then burn the data in the folder you made to a CD and bang you have a 100% working copy, now when it comes To dreamcast games forget about it, there one gig disks with a gap on the CD unless you have a burner that will burn 1 Gig CD's and allow you to write twice you won't be able to accomplish the task of copying one if your life depended on it becuase it's a hardware issue and not a software one... and i'll restate what i said earlier. If there's a way to secure it there's a way to reverse it... but only it's only easy if it's software

Last edited by Ydnar : 12-28-2001 at 11:45 AM.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2001, 11:59 AM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute
My thoughts:

I do think that file sharing and ripping often break the law. If anyone moans about the evil recording industry, I don't care, its still stealing.

That said, the movie industry tossed up all kinds of hell fire and brimstone over vhs players being able to recored. In the end, it all calmed down, because people are still willing to pay for the real McCoy.

The recording industry is going to have to accept the fact that people have access to very powerful technology, and trying to fight that is never going to work. People can be very clever about getting what they want when they are told they can't have it.

-Andy A.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-28-2001, 10:37 PM
FRC #0005 (Robocards)

Thumbs down But is it right to call it "Stealing"??

What if you wanted to rip it into MP3 format for your MP3 player?? That player that costed alteast $100?? I can't be able to use something that I bought for that much money, I expect to get my money back, or i can use it!! I am sorry, but the recording industry is just blowing hot air about the 500,000 dollars it is loosing a year, from their, oohh lets say, 2 BILLION dollar year industry. For granted, the people worked to get their money, that is fair in all, but when they are still making 1.5 million, it isn't gonna hurt to lose like 50,000 dollars a year...
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-29-2001, 02:37 AM
no team

Dima is just really niceDima is just really niceDima is just really niceDima is just really niceDima is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Dima
I play Counter Strike

now there is no way to get rid of cheating in multyplayer games it's been tried and it's failed.

SAME THING GOES FOR THE MUSIC INDUSTRY. after all it's 0's and 1's that are written on the "CD" and that is what the CD player does it reads 0's and 1's and i the end you can always make a prog that acts like a CD player but intead it recods the music.

I think some people will buy the "new" CD's but NEVER will the industry get rid of people like US.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-29-2001, 07:13 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
technology will always find a way. there is no 100% protection.

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-30-2001, 11:03 PM
Post Junkie
no team (Bagel Bytes)

mnkysp6353 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mnkysp6353
There is also easily cracked protection on 3dmax. Cdilla is easily crackable and does not give 3dmax the protection it needs.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2002, 02:40 PM
#0932 (Circuit Chargers)

Ydnar is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Ydnar
I second that comment

I agree with mnkysp6353, it's not the safest way to protect there software, you would think with software with that value they would use a better form of security. All microsoft Xp software is ran with the same system and it is non-effective, they need to come up with a better way to portect it!!! The most effective way to protect software is a on-line registration, no if and or buts about it and it will check the cd-key, s/n and user name and see if they match the purchaser... there's many way to protect software but the safest is through on-line registration...
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Post Junkie
no team (Bagel Bytes)

mnkysp6353 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mnkysp6353
Ydnar everything is crackable. Even if you did do something along those lines there would always be a loop hole such as the corporate version of xp where no reg code is needed. There would also be a crack out the minute the software came out. As i said EVERYTHING can be cracked. There is really NO way of protecting software not even silly dongles.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: