OCCRA
Go to Post Even better than any [book] is simply becoming an active member of the Chief Delphi forums. Where do you think I got everything I know? - sanddrag [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: Does your team have student field coaches?
Only Student Coaches 36 39.56%
Sometime Student Coaches 27 29.67%
Never 28 30.77%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2002, 01:13 AM
D.J. Fluck

Student Field Coaches?

I was just wondering, does your team have students coach on the field? If they do are they the only coach or do they switch off with adults?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2002, 04:48 AM
Stew da Baker
AKA: AKA: Steppie86
no team

Stephanie has a spectacular aura aboutStephanie has a spectacular aura aboutStephanie has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Stephanie
I'm the strategist for team 668, and I usually wear the "mentor badge" and "coach" the driver, is this what you were referring to?

If so, 80% of the time I play this role. The first match we play, our adult coach is usually in the alliance station, and I might switch off with another student for a match.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2002, 08:41 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 1995
Ashley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond repute
On our team, after the driver's are selected from try-outs in April/May, we had to decide. During the build season, and from what we saw of people in previous years, myself and the other driver had to decide who we wanted on the floor with us. We have a college student who is an alum of the team. With doing this if you make a good decision like we did, you have a wonderful coach who brings much success to you. However, I have seen in the past where the coach was selected because they were a friend, and we ended up not doing well. Also, for our human player,team members came the last long weekend and anyone could practice in the gym. Myself and the other driver made a selection on how well the person did, and also if they were good with communicating, and posesed leadership skills for the floor.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2002, 11:25 AM
Volunteer for hire
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Aaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to beholdAaron Lussier is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up My team

My team has only student coaches behind the glass these are people who know the game, know all the players on the field and know stragety(sp?) Right now we have two or three who switch off, that whole thing works well with us, and we like it.
Field Reset Extraordinaire
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2002, 11:35 AM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute
95 has always used a full student drive team.

The drive team is selected near the end of the build time by adult coaches. There is usally a bit of flexibilty here, since students who are picked can make suggestions before it's all set in stone. The pit crew is also run much the same way.

-Andy A.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2002, 12:41 PM
Wayne C.'s Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
hey- I think we did pretty good?
FRC #0025 (Raider Robotix)

Rookie Year: 1997
Wayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond reputeWayne C. has a reputation beyond repute
Team 25 has always had students and former students as mentors for the drive team. Last year (2001) we had full student teams for the entire competition and found out that older kids and engineers on other teams had a hard time working with sophomore and junior students. This year we had a former driver team member, now graduated, return as the mentor and act as "assertive spokesperson" for the drive tream. It worked out much better for us.

Our whole take on the thing is that kids know how to play the game better than the adults. It is a natural fit.

WC
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2002, 03:56 PM
College? What?
no team (Gompei and the Herd)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
Ian W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ian W.
we had three main drivers this year. when i was the main driver (not the one flipping switches and such), i prefered to have one of our college mentors (Michael Krass, you all know him ) be the mentor, cause he actually knew the game, and could quickly add up the score and tell me where to be. unfortunatly, one of the teacher/mentors had this thing about being in the spotlight, and just had to be the mentor, so Michael couldn't be mentor. this rather annoyed me, cause he knew how to build a robot, but he had no idea about how the game played. so, when he was mentor, i had to do everything myself, not just driving, but also figuring out the score. all drivers know how much concentration goes into driving, so i was working overtime in those matches. very very annoying.

i think in the end, the best drive team is as follows...

Driver 1 - Who ever can control the robot
Driver 2 - Someone who knows the game, can listen to instructions, and most important, can get along with the main driver
Human Player - Someone tall, and preferably knows the game
Mentor - Someone who knows the entire game, gets along with everyone, but most importantly, is very friendly with Driver 1, and during the heat of 'battle', can remain as calm, or even calmer, than everyone else. the mentor's biggest role is to basically yell at the driver, because the driver can get a little overwhelmed at times

after reading that, it doesn't really matter how old the mentor is, just how well they work with the main driver. if that link is there in the drive team, you can't get any better. if the mentor has problems with the driver, or the other way around, you need to stop everything else, resolve those problems, or pick a new mentor. just make sure the mentor knows the game though .
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2002, 05:59 PM
#0007 (Team Firestorm)

Hubicki is an unknown quantity at this point
Normally, our team has a student coach who is advised by a student strategist (ME! ). Our team is quite proud about keeping as many of the team functions student run as humanly possible. The only exception is when one of our former students wants to take command on the field (or wants to hit on the other coach...). Drivers are determined by a driving test consisting of an obstacle course, a test in manipulation of the game object, and a judging at mock-competitions. 1st place becomes driver, 2nd becomes the switcher.
~Hubicki~
2002 GM Industrial Design Award Winners
2002 VCU Semi-Finalists
2002 Nationals: Won 6 of 7 matches
www.phsrobotics.com
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2002, 06:05 PM
no team

Ashley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian W.

i think in the end, the best drive team is as follows...

Driver 1 - Who ever can control the robot
Driver 2 - Someone who knows the game, can listen to instructions, and most important, can get along with the main driver
Mentor - Someone who knows the entire game, gets along with everyone, but most importantly, is very friendly with Driver 1, and during the heat of 'battle', can remain as calm, or even calmer, than everyone else. the mentor's biggest role is to basically yell at the driver, because the driver can get a little overwhelmed at times

I will have to add a little arguement/note to that.......
Driver 1 - definately someone who can control the robot, but should also know the game and be able to listen, and has to yell at driver 2 a couple of times, because she fell asleep (literally) in the player station during a match.
Driver 2 (*cough*)- someone who knows the game, listens well, get's along with the main driver and not just someone who has to push buttons ... this year I actually had to drive a small fully functional robot with a joystick, which ended up being more difficult than the robot, it had more speed, and many times you lost visibility of it because of its small stature. I wasn't afraid to attack larger objects as some teams found out.
Human Player - doesn't have to be tall, we had a girl, that is very atheletic, and she beat out everyone for the position, she was only intimidated a couple of times by huge guys.
Mentor- definately has to know the game, they have to get along with the entire floor team, keep the two drivers 'hot on the stick', and keep them calm between matches when all they want to do is keep their head in the garbage can. We were fortunate to have made such a wonderful pick (Lucas) as our coach. He did all of the above, plus helped with scouting, and most of the pre-match discussing with alliance partners.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2002, 10:46 PM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer & Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
no team (FRC Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to mtaman02 Send a message via Yahoo to mtaman02
Student Coaches

Quote:
i think in the end, the best drive team is as follows... Driver 1 - Who ever can control the robot
My team Coaches consist of 4 Adults. Theirs only one adult we trust on the field. We do not allow the students on our team to be field coaches b/c we don't need something unplanned to happen during a match. Students minds are not equipped to make quick decisions when something goes wrong during a match. At least not my team anyway. Our Team Captain Richard Xuereb is our field coach. He has been our coach for the last 2 years. we have a Strategist also as a Field coach but this year required one coach and 3 students. So we just used the strategist for strategy and nothing more.

The best driver team i believe is people who can operate the robot correctly. Be able to make a decision w/o actually talking about it. People who can get along with another "Greatest Professionalism" People who know the game. People who can act like a "TEAM". Our driver tryouts consist of the following.

1- Who can opearate the robot correctly
2- Who knows the game well
3- Who can come up with a excellent stratedgy
4- Who can shoot the most balls into the goals
5- Who can communicate with one another w/o actually speaking
ooohhhhh - telepathic communication
6- Who can get along with others the best
7- Someone who will follow all the rules of the game
8- Whos a good listener
9- Driver 2 can get along with Driver 1 with no problems - Visa versa.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-26-2002, 11:01 PM
FTC #0111 (MiniStang)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Janna Hutz will become famous soon enough
all students...

On my high school team (349) and with the team I mentor now, we've always had all-student drive teams (with the exception of our 2001 CDI field team which had 1 adult coach). I really think that students can coach just as well if not better than adult team members, and when it comes down to it, FIRST is for the students, so it makes sense for them to be the ones who get to have the great experience of being on the field. Even for people like me who have done FIRST in high school and have experience from previous competitions, I wouldn't feel right knowing I was depriving a student who's actually in high school from having the awesome field experience that I had.

Plus, I think a huge advantage is the interpersonal relationship between students. Students are probably around each other more than they are around the adults, so they know each other better and know how to get across what they're trying to say so that the other person will understand. Plus, some of the best strategy happens when students yell at each other and argue over what should be done and then come up with a compromise (pre-match of course...during the match, not such a good idea... ). Some students might feel intimidated by an adult and might not challenge what the adult thinks is the "right" strategy. In 2001, my high school team voted to select our field teams, and we did the same on my new team this year, and it worked out really well. After building a robot for weeks and weeks, everyone wanted to see the team do its best so they all voted for the best people for the job...not necessarily the people they got along with the best.

Anyway, I guess my bottom line is...often students' desires for the team do well are underestimated, and if you just trust that the students will make responsible decisions about their robot both on and off the field, everything will work out to the team's advantage.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2002, 08:31 AM
no team

Re: Student Coaches

Quote:
Originally posted by Team522 Captain

5- Who can communicate with one another w/o actually speaking
ooohhhhh - telepathic communication

9- Driver 2 can get along with Driver 1 with no problems - Visa versa.
If you can find someone who is an excellent driver/operator of the robot that is really good! However, to be truely successful the two keys to the perfect drive team is the telepathic communication and getting along with each other. For the first time, this year our team was fortunate to have this. It really does bring you success.

Team522 Captain,
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who believes the telepathic communication. It deffinately works! Other people on my team think the other driver and I are just weird. So many other drivers yell at each other, then it tends to frighten me as their alliance partner. With this type of communication no need to talk and no need to yell. The best driver set up you could ever have!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2002, 09:38 AM
College? What?
no team (Gompei and the Herd)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
Ian W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ian W.
about the drivers yelling back and forth, that's usually not supposed to happen, but yeah, i've had plenty of that. although, if one driver is falling asleep, they either don't have a lot to do, or it's a really boring match . i think in the end, the drive team matters not on who controls the robot the best, or who shoots the balls the best (and yes, i go against my previous post in saying they don't have to be tall ), but more on which four people can get along, communicate with grunts and hand gestures (no time for words in the heat of a match ), and most importantly, all can think about different strategies. it doesn't help the team to have 4 people exactly the same driving, it's better to have different ideas floating around, cause one rouynd, strategy one might work, but the second round, it might not.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2002, 02:38 PM
LSR Emcee/Alamo Game Announcer
FRC #0118 (Robonauts)
Team Role: Engineer

Kris Verdeyen has a reputation beyond reputeKris Verdeyen has a reputation beyond reputeKris Verdeyen has a reputation beyond reputeKris Verdeyen has a reputation beyond reputeKris Verdeyen has a reputation beyond reputeKris Verdeyen has a reputation beyond reputeKris Verdeyen has a reputation beyond reputeKris Verdeyen has a reputation beyond reputeKris Verdeyen has a reputation beyond reputeKris Verdeyen has a reputation beyond reputeKris Verdeyen has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Our team tried the all-student drive team for the first time this year, and we had great success with it. The student handled herself as well as or better than the previous year's adult coach. (me).

That said, I really enjoyed being down on the floor with the team during the competitions last year. It brought a level of excitement that is unparalleled when sitting in the stands, and really gave an indication of how hard these drivers really have it during a match.

I don't think that teams should be required to have only student drivers, though, as has been advocated by some on these boards. What's good for one team is not necessarily good for the gander, or something like that.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-27-2002, 03:57 PM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Rodriguez
For us it depends on who the drivers are, and who wants to coach. This year we had a really smart drive team(drivers, coach, HP) all made up of students. In past years we have had an adult coach. If you have young drivers than i think you need to have an adult coach, but if you have experinced drivers than the adult influence isn't nessesary.
The adults this years had the smallest role in the actual game this year than any other year. Our stategy was all thought up by students.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: