OCCRA
Go to Post But then again, no one's robot ever is fully working to how they want it before the first tournamant. - #1Transgirl1140 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 08:38 PM
I bent my wookie...
AKA: Bryan Duggan
#0027 (Team Rush)
Team Role: College Student

Bduggan04 will become famous soon enoughBduggan04 will become famous soon enough
Carpet Problems

Everyone that went to the IRI Competition was reminded how big a problem carpet damage is. It moves all over, and chances are if you used anything other than a rubber material for traction you tore the carpet at least once. I was curious if anyone had a good idea for a replacement for the troublesome carpet or possibly a new rule to prevent it.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 08:51 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Some Ideas...

Although i did notice carpet bunching at the other regionals and nationals, it did seem to happen a lot more at IRI. The reason for this is because our carpet was only a few inches wider then the field on both sides, and longer in length for the player stations. If we would have bought this carpet this year for IRI instead of last year we probably would have made it wider on both sides so we could secure it down more...

One thing i would like to see next year would be some sort of "hard" floor similar to what u see on battlebots maybe. Maybe this floor could be bought in sections/panels and assembled w/o using any glue or nails.

Just a thought.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 09:06 PM
Team Captain
#0393 (Full Metal Jackets)
Team Role: Driver

Caleb Osborne is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Caleb Osborne
Flooring

I think it would be cool if they did change the surface. They have had carpet for a long time and they need something different. It would also be fun to see how the teams change designs to get traction on a different floor. Hopefully FIRST will keep something like that in mind when they go to create next year's game.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 09:20 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
/me awaits the usual "we want a water playing field" response...

I vote for gravel or some sort of rougher surface.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 09:29 PM
Team Captain

Flooring

Sand would be very challenging. It would also be very hard on your robot, but challenging to see how the teams react to that.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 09:37 PM
College? What?
no team (Gompei and the Herd)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
Ian W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ian W.
i think the best idea is either concrete (kinda hard though), or some sort of interlocking boards that just plop down and sit there. basically, any kind of hard surface that is more or less impossible to damage. the other idea would be sand/gravel, but many places would not like that, so i doubt that would happen.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 09:47 PM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute
I want to see a really slick field, as slick as ice... That should make pushing matches interesting.

Maybe just dump vegtible oil on the gym floors in between matches . Hey, it sounds good in my mind.

-Andy A.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 10:04 PM
Libby Ritchie's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Team Role: Teacher

Libby Ritchie is a splendid one to beholdLibby Ritchie is a splendid one to beholdLibby Ritchie is a splendid one to beholdLibby Ritchie is a splendid one to beholdLibby Ritchie is a splendid one to beholdLibby Ritchie is a splendid one to beholdLibby Ritchie is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Libby Ritchie
Flooring

Wild/Unrealistic...but Fun Idea: Robots that jump into a vat of jello or water and have to pick up obstacles!

Realistic: Climbing stairs!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 10:06 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
Re: Flooring

Quote:
Originally posted by Libby Ritchie
Wild/Unrealistic...but Fun Idea: Robots that jump into a vat of jello or water and have to pick up obstacles!

Realistic: Climbing stairs!

question... What is a vat? climbing stairs would be interresting. lots of damage could result...

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 10:09 PM
Team Captain

Libby Ritchie, if the robots do climb stairs well, maybe you should take lessons from them. So the next time you go to Dean Kamen's house you won't fall.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 10:24 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.
you don't want anything loose like sand not even rugged bots like battlebots cant handle sand btw stars are pretty easy to traverse with tracks
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 11:02 PM
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2000
Clark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond reputeClark Gilbert has a reputation beyond repute
Rubber Mulch

That's right...rubber mulch. It's commonly used for playgrounds...all it's composed of is shredded tires...

I can't really seem it being easy to design something for, but was corn in 1992 easily available for everyone to design a robot to drive on?

http://www.homestead.com/prosites-cl...aygrounds.html

Also there is this...
Interlocking Rubber Flooring

If they used this they could do something cool with the color flooring like making their logo on the playing field.

Last edited by Clark Gilbert : 07-21-2002 at 11:07 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 11:07 PM
Team Captain

tracks would probably be best for that kinda surface. I think that would be pretty fun to watch.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 11:11 PM
Libby Ritchie's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Team Role: Teacher

Libby Ritchie is a splendid one to beholdLibby Ritchie is a splendid one to beholdLibby Ritchie is a splendid one to beholdLibby Ritchie is a splendid one to beholdLibby Ritchie is a splendid one to beholdLibby Ritchie is a splendid one to beholdLibby Ritchie is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Libby Ritchie
Hey, thanks for sharing my stupidity with the WORLD, Caleb! I saw a Segway....it's not my fault that my feet couldnt' go as fast as my mind was!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-21-2002, 11:20 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel
I want Interlocking rubber tile. This stuff is common in weight rooms and gyms.
This allows parts to be replaced if need be, and also allows some room for stress relef.

My other great idea is the carpet, but covered with ducktape.
Is that brilliant or what?

Wetzel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/me is listening to
E:\Jack off Jill\Clear Hearts Grey Flowers\Jack Off Jill - 02 - Fear of Dying.mp3

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: