OCCRA
Go to Post It'd be nice to have some more data to look at, I like data - Aren_Hill [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > 3D Animation and Competition
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-29-2002, 09:25 PM
Soudeska?

Chris Nowak is an unknown quantity at this point
Starting Work

So, how many teams out there have already started working on their animation? Our team is already working hard at creating the models(obviously not our robot) to use in next years animation, so I was just wondering if many other teams start working this early.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2002, 07:54 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 1995
Ashley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond repute
ummm..yeah..right...sure, we didn't even have an animation group this year, which resulted in no animation for us. We are unable to find anyone willing to learn the software and actually do an animation.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2002, 09:38 AM
Boom, Shawalala Boom!
#0862 (PCEP Lighting)

Trashed20 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trashed20
um, yeah, riiiiiight. we haven't started on the real animation yet but we are trying to do some modeling practice and we are also thinking of possible story lines that wouldn't use our robot that we could start working on. I personally don't like most animations with the peoples own robot as it seems slightly boring and monotonous (if you've seen one animation with a robot you seen most of the others.) We try to focus on a story line ( or lack thereof). We prolly wont do as well this year as we lost our head animator to CILS. Its a horrible desiese that affects millions each year. Its caused usually around the 18th year of life but starts earlier. Its sadly College Induced Learning Syndrome NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! Oh well, we'll still try
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2002, 04:37 PM
Soudeska?

I agree

I agree with you that animations which focus on the robot are not very good, because I interpret the goal of the animation award is to demonstrate exactly what FIRST means to the team, and unless a team is full of entirely robot crazy ppl(they would not even have an animation probably) an animation should not focus on just demonstrating the robot. We are probably going to have only a few seconds of the animation with our robot in it, to show that building and operating the robot are important aspects of our team but not the only thing we feel is important about FIRST. I don't know I'm remembering correctly, but it seemed like the winning animation last year could have been done 90% ahead of time.

This could also be attributed to the fact that we currently have more involved students on animation than any other team. I think we have around 7 members(on animation) and we usually get alot of people interested. So really, its not very wierd for us to be starting this early as animation will probably be focused on equally as much as our engineering team next year. Also, we are trying to avoid the debacle we had last year where I spent the entire last night rendering stuff on 5 computers, only to end up with 22 seconds of animation and no time to do more.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2002, 05:00 PM
Boom, Shawalala Boom!
#0862 (PCEP Lighting)

Trashed20 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trashed20
Re: I agree

[quote]Originally posted by Chris Nowak

This could also be attributed to the fact that we currently have more involved students on animation than any other team. I think we have around 7 members(on animation) and we usually get alot of people interested.
[quote]

We have 2 people! Me and Mike, and thats it right now, but we should get more when school starts and the new people join.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2002, 09:20 PM
AKA: Grant Harding
#0084 (WATTNESS (bot: Chuck))
Team Role: Alumni

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to evulish
We have no kids or even leaders that have any clue how to use it. Well, I kinda know how, but I'd rather build the bot than animate it
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-30-2002, 09:54 PM
no team

DisTurbed is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I kinda started this is my first year doin it even though I am a junior and I have no contact with my leader or team but I am making models.. I heard they give u a theme to do it or summin I don't know I am just playing around in XSI
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2002, 06:59 PM
Soudeska?

Maybe you guys should make promotional videos to show at your school. Just put flying text to some cool music, and maybe show some cool shots of previous year's animations (from the compilation tape). If you wanted to, maybe throw in some animations from your fav. video games. Shouldn't be too hard, even if you wanted to use MAX to make really cool flying text.

If you have noone interested in animation enough to do that, maybe you should show the winning animations from previous years(from the tape) at the kickoff meeting to get people interested. Seeing cool animations can be inspiring.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-31-2002, 08:59 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Nowak
If you have noone interested in animation enough to do that, maybe you should show the winning animations from previous years(from the tape) at the kickoff meeting to get people interested. Seeing cool animations can be inspiring.
nah. We would like them so much that we would subconciously make the same thing.

We currently have no one for 3d S Max and 1 person for PBASIC Programming.

[sigh] [/sigh]
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2002, 09:39 AM
"I am a Meat Popsicle"
AKA: Jim Martz
None #0108 (SigmaC@T)

Rookie Year: 2000
Specialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Specialagentjim
Awww yeah, we started

We at team 108 have our storyboard and have started basic modeling on the scenery...i just hope that FIRST dosent change the objective of the animation competition

To let you all know, I've got about 8 people on our animation team (this year its being led by a sophmore [me!]). About 3 or 4 of us know max well enough to be able to just bang something out without having to use tutorials and stuff, and we're teaching the others. What I'm still trying to find is some people who really know audio well, cuz that always seems to be one of the downfalls of most animations (the music, sound fx almost never sound good). Three of us know premiere and four of us know photoshop, so we're pretty well off. By the way, if your a south florida team, and need help, Let me know! (Nothing a like a field trip from school to help another team...specially if it gets me outta doing work for the day! hehe)

GO TEAM 108!!!!

------------- http://payfoo.com/108/

Curie Division 2005 Champions (175, 33, 108)
UCF 2005 Website Award
Midwest 2005 Delphi's Driving Tomorrow's Technology

2004 UCF QuarterFinalists (1065, 86, 108)

UCF 2003 Regional Champs/Entrepreneurship Award
Midwest Regional 2003 Leadership In Controls/Website award
Nationals 2003 Quarter Finalists
Robot Rodeo 2003 Champions (Alliance: 180 and 186)

AIM S/N: Specialagentjim
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2002, 01:43 AM
Belphegor made me do it.
#0108 (SigmaC@t)

Mark Hamilton will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Mark Hamilton Send a message via AIM to Mark Hamilton
good to hear that Jim, since you've got such a headstart I guess I can reassign some of your members to soap. They always complain about not enough manpower and not enough time.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2002, 07:28 PM
"I am a Meat Popsicle"
AKA: Jim Martz
None #0108 (SigmaC@T)

Rookie Year: 2000
Specialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to beholdSpecialagentjim is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Specialagentjim
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Hamilton
good to hear that Jim, since you've got such a headstart I guess I can reassign some of your members to soap. They always complain about not enough manpower and not enough time.
All I have to say in reply to that is "DOH!"

and btw, i guess you didn't hear, my whole team already is.... I'm still a little confused as to how they tricked me into that one...something about "We'll let you guys use our pretty, shiney dell's with p4's" I cracked under pressure....IM SORRY ANIMATION TEAM!!!!

GO TEAM 6C (That's Hexadecimal!)

Curie Division 2005 Champions (175, 33, 108)
UCF 2005 Website Award
Midwest 2005 Delphi's Driving Tomorrow's Technology

2004 UCF QuarterFinalists (1065, 86, 108)

UCF 2003 Regional Champs/Entrepreneurship Award
Midwest Regional 2003 Leadership In Controls/Website award
Nationals 2003 Quarter Finalists
Robot Rodeo 2003 Champions (Alliance: 180 and 186)

AIM S/N: Specialagentjim
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2002, 10:20 PM

Daishichimaru is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Daishichimaru
I've been doing pre-planning work, but being the whole team and having job + heavy class load doesn't make it that easy. 'Sides, even if they have "opened" it for pre-season work I still think it's lame do work outside of the set timeframe.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-26-2002, 07:01 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute
We haven't even started the school year yet so we haven't even recruited any kids to replace departed seniors and assign the kids to their teams.
We won't know until November.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: