OCCRA
Go to Post I may be an engineer, but I am not smarter than a 5th grader. - Josh Drake [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2002, 10:53 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
25 FT SERIAL CABLES (controller tether)

I'm wondering how many teams would be interested in purchasing a 25 ft commercial grade serial cable for their robot(s) to use for tethering the operator interface to the controller. The cables are just the same as FIRST gives us (male-female) but much longer. These would come in very handy while testing at the competiton and when you cannot use your radio in the pits. The 6ft cabels provided in the kit are far to short to be useful for this purpose. If you plug them togather they will pull apart. You could make your own cable but it is time consuming to make 18 little solder joints and not to mention cutting all the wire. Plus, if you made your own it would not be very durable.

If enough teams are interested in purchasing a 25ft serial cable, I will make them available for sale for about $12 each including shipping. This is not an official price, just an approximation. Let me know what you think.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2002, 11:26 PM
I'm a weirdo.
#0271 (Mechanical Marauders)

Chubtoad is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Chubtoad
Hurrah and the such!

These are very handy things to have, our team has had one for a few years now and especially this year it came in INCREDIBLY handy. At the LI regional we had the robot running and practing on a goal very easily with minimal worry about length of the tether wire!

My Point: Every Team Should Get One!!!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-02-2002, 11:54 PM
Go Badgers!
Team Role: Alumni

Jnadke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Jnadke Send a message via AIM to Jnadke Send a message via Yahoo to Jnadke
6 - 6foot serial cables + 12 zip-ties = 1 hellofa long serial cable

That's what we use...
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2002, 12:06 AM
back to school ;-)

sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Chubtoad,
Thanks.

Jnadke,
I don't think that you could get 6 6 foot serial cables and 12 zip ties and shipping for 12 bucks. Plus that's a really ugly and heavy way of doing it. Just one long cable is nice. I can also provide a 50 ft cable upon request for about $22.

I forgot to mention that these cables are new in package.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-03-2002, 12:24 AM
FTC #6565 (The Stuffed Dragons)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Rob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to behold
i think using the 6 would be cooler and more like a computer user than the one long cable
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-04-2002, 12:17 AM
AKA: Grant Harding
#0084 (WATTNESS (bot: Chuck))

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to evulish
Hmm...well...does a 6ft serial cable come with the kit of parts every year...

Say you're in for 3 years. Some duct-tape or zip-ties will get you a cheap 18ft serial cable
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-29-2002, 09:18 PM
Grammar Curmudgeon
AKA: gwross
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Greg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Ross Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Ross
Smile Yay!

We just received the two 50 ft. cables we ordered from 696. We will be replacing the well worn 50 ft. ribbon cable we have used for about for 4 years. It will be really nice not having to be paranoid about people stepping on that old cable any more. It will also be nice to be able to use the debug screen at the same time the robot is tethered.
ôLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!" Hunter S. Thompson
"Playing a practical joke means doing something mean and calling it funny." Me
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-05-2002, 05:49 PM

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
I hate ribbon cable EVERYBODY steps on it! But it's not really mine to replace...so I guess I won't buy one (I'm poor...so sue me...or don't; you wouldn't get much.)
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-05-2002, 06:42 PM
#0857 (Superior Roboworks)
Team Role: College Student

ChrisA is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to ChrisA
actually our team has found that it is quite helpful to have the cables pull apart... especially when we program.... if u were to accidentally put in something wrong and the robot starts driving really fast they will break apart therefore stopping the 'crazed' robot. longer cords might be helpful though later on.
Team#857
Superior Roboworks

WildStang Alum
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-05-2002, 10:39 PM

Hehe...which is why you put the bot up on blocks (or just don't make any programming mistakes! )
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-06-2002, 07:29 PM
back to school ;-)

Now that school as started and there are more people back on the boards, I just wanted to say that the 25 and 50 foot serial cables are still available. Just send me a PM or visit www.team696.org/fundraisingevents.html

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: