OCCRA
Go to Post I don't care if your robot could eat ours for breakfast - PayneTrain [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2002, 02:05 AM

Rookie Year: 2000
AdamT is on a distinguished road
Another chapter in the drive train story

Now, in all the threads that have been discussed rescently, no one has mentioned a thing about weight distrubution...

So we know how to figure out optimum power and what type of material works well for wheels and treads, but we haven't discussed why these different materials have worked well for certain robots.

The difference that has to be considered is how the weight is distributed among the drive wheels/tread. What was the positioning of the drive train of everyone's robots? How did you go about keeping a low CG and still keep the weight in the optimal position to help the drive train? Was this solved by four wheel drive or by other means?

More preseason thinking.....

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2002, 02:54 AM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Our gearbox was at the "rear" of the robot, however the robot can be driven with either end the front. It drove the "rear" axles and sprockets and chains conected the front and rear axles for 4 wheel drive. Everything else on the robot was very semetrical and balanced so to counteract the rear gearbox, the battery was placed more near the front (opposite end). Everything is kept relatively low as our robot is only a total of about 14 inches tall.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Purchase Cree LED Bulbs from the Team 696 Online Store
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2002, 03:36 AM
FRC #0271
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
fast frank is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to fast frank
we mounted our battery on the bottom of the robot to help keep a low CG. we also put our air storage tanks down there. plus 5 motors, gears, sprokets, and chains. we had 2 drive wheels in the middle and 4 castors slightly raised at the ends. this kept most of the weight on our drive wheels.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2002, 02:57 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute
Our robot was pretty low to the ground (only 20-some inches tall) and everything but the grabbers sat on the main deck inside. We put the compressor in the front right over the wheel and the battery in the back left over a wheel. The arms went down the middle, but everything else was on a plywood sheet at the mid-wheel level. Our center of gravity was VERY low, unlike last year's bot (which I won't get into.... 13' arms, 26" wheelbase....ugh)...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2002, 03:14 PM
back to school ;-)

sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
13 foot arms

Pictures please

pictures pictures pictures pictures pictures

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-15-2002, 08:20 PM
El Jefe de 148

Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute
Well, the arms are not quite 13 feet. The robot with arms extended straight up is 13 feet tall. The arms themselves are 8 feet, the robot is 5, 8+5=13. So I cheated a bit....

So, without further adue.... I present Tippy, our stability-challenged, much-cursed 2001 bot:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010031.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	630  
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2002, 12:57 AM
back to school ;-)

Thanks for the great picture. I joined the FIRST program for the 2002 season so I hadn't really seen those giant lifting arms before.

I have a question. If you look at the robot in the left of the picture, the wheels are on the outside of the frame. I've seen a few battlebots like this too. Is there any advantage to having the wheels on the outside?

#8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2002, 01:16 AM
back to school ;-)

I forgot to mention a couple things.

First of all, I think all the threads involved with "the drivetrain story" are GRRREAT. Kudos to Patrick Wang for getting us going on something important. I was even inspired enough to go buy a CAD program.

Anyway, what I really posted for is I was wondering how many robots use treads instead of wheels? Does it give that much more traction? I would personally use them for the coolness factor alone but the pulleys are between $80 and $120 apiece!!! How hard would it be to make our own. Could it be done on manual mills/lathes or would we need CNC.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2002, 04:42 PM

kevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by sanddrag
Thanks for the great picture. I joined the FIRST program for the 2002 season so I hadn't really seen those giant lifting arms before.

I have a question. If you look at the robot in the left of the picture, the wheels are on the outside of the frame. I've seen a few battlebots like this too. Is there any advantage to having the wheels on the outside?
As the Pontiac commercial people will tell you, Wider is Better. To see the effect on stability, take it to an extreme, and imagine placing the wheels very close to each other in the middle, or on the very far edges far apart from each other.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-18-2002, 12:35 PM
FIRST Scouting Network
AKA: Andrew Schenk
FRC #0201 (The FEDS)

Jack is a jewel in the roughJack is a jewel in the roughJack is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to Jack
Our robot this year could pull a lot. (don't remember how much though) We had 4 wheels with this kind of elevator belt that has a lot of grip. Personally, tracks weigh more and are harder and more $$ to make. But if you can have the weight, $$, and time then sure, use tracks.

PS i included a pic of our fancy wheels w/ the tread.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	robot6bb.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	634  

All about me: http://knehcsa.vze.com
**Check out the New FIRST Scouting Network**
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2002, 09:58 AM
ChrisH's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generally Useless
FRC #0330 (Beach 'Bots)

Rookie Year: 1998
ChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond reputeChrisH has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by sanddrag
I forgot to mention a couple things.

First of all, I think all the threads involved with "the drivetrain story" are GRRREAT. Kudos to Patrick Wang for getting us going on something important. I was even inspired enough to go buy a CAD program.

Anyway, what I really posted for is I was wondering how many robots use treads instead of wheels? Does it give that much more traction? I would personally use them for the coolness factor alone but the pulleys are between $80 and $120 apiece!!! How hard would it be to make our own. Could it be done on manual mills/lathes or would we need CNC.
What CAD program did you get? Also, while an NC machine isn't required to do belt pulleys, it would save time and effort. You could use a thing called a dividing head on a manual mill. It could also be used to make gears.

"Who is John Galt?"
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2002, 02:13 PM
back to school ;-)

The CAD program I bought is made by Swift software and is called 3D CAD. It was $2.88 on the clearance table at Office Depot. The program is worth nothing for scale drawings or precise measurements but it works excellently for laying things out for initial concepts. It is also very useful for showing other people your ideas. For $3, it can't be beat.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-04-2002, 04:57 PM
7 years, allready!!???!?!?!
AKA: Mongo
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Greg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Perkins has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Perkins Send a message via MSN to Greg Perkins Send a message via Yahoo to Greg Perkins
most of our bots from the last couple of years were EXTREMELY LOW to the ground!! 2001 we had 3inches of ground clearence, this year we had 3/8ths of an inche!!! we use wheels that we make ourselfs, chassis are low to the ground and not alot about the cg.

pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	good wheel1.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	652  

XBOX Live Gamertag = TrixAre4Kidss
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-16-2002, 08:24 PM
#0811 (Cardinals)

dets002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to dets002
Our robot had an intriguing design. To ease zero radius turns, we had only two drive-wheels mounted in the center of the robot and had castors on the front and back. Most of the weigh was centered low around the chasis plate and the battery was the lowest point on our robot (beside the wheels) which lowered the center of gravity substantially. The wheels were powered by two drill motors and a 200:1 gear / chain reduction. Thus, to keep the weight on the wheels, we just balanced the wheels. However, I do suspect that if we had used more drive wheels, we could have gotten more traction, which always helps, but we wanted to tread lightly on the carpet.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-17-2002, 03:18 PM
El Jefe de 148

We've used the two-wheel drive with castors setup before. It's worked pretty well for us. It turns well, and can push okay, but sometimes you just need the power and traction 4-wheel-drive offers. Plus, if there is any kind of incline, that setup won't work. You'll high-center your 'bot when you try to go up the ramp. It's not perfect, but it's surely simple and effective.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: