OCCRA
Go to Post Engineers can really make a difference when people are in their time of need. - Elgin Clock [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > Website Design/Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

View Poll Results: What software or language do you use to design your site!
PHP 19 29.23%
CGI 6 9.23%
Plain o\'l Html(notpad) 21 32.31%
Dreamweaver 24 36.92%
Frontpage 14 21.54%
other.. 18 27.69%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2002, 06:58 PM
A M X
AKA: Akshay Dodeja
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2000
activemx is a glorious beacon of lightactivemx is a glorious beacon of lightactivemx is a glorious beacon of lightactivemx is a glorious beacon of lightactivemx is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to activemx Send a message via Yahoo to activemx
Cool What do you use to make your team site!?

I was wonding what software, scripting language, or whatever you use to design develop the team site.
its would be great if you guys could mention why you choose to use that perticular sofware of languagelike php or cgi.

Monta Vista Robotics Team
mvrt.com
also have mvrt.org

Status v2 alomost complete
Photoshop for graphics
Dreamweaver MX for writing php, for basic html and CSS and javascript.
I love dreamweaver for styles is very easy to create style sheets and create tables through it. It is also great editing tool for website related files with syntax highlighting.
I've used php because of many reasons, mainly because its very easy to implement it with mysql. Also is my favorite scripting lang.
I do know cgi but i dont like using it.
Main components of the website. there are 3 main components for the webite that are made by php.
The calendar, news posting, image gallery.
The image gallery script is a huge script by called 4images and i have customised to fit the site design. php also makes the page loading faster.
javascript is used for the nifty navigation system.
Write know there are many things needed to be implemented though thats going to be the project of my this years website team. Its not fully compatible with netscape, mozilla and opera and the site team is going to do that in the next few months.
over all the site has dramatically chaged from V1 which is www.mvrt.com/v1/

Akshay Dodeja
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2002, 07:16 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
CoffeeCup www.coffeecup.com
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2002, 07:35 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
chiefdelphi.com, behind the scenes, involves HTML, PHP, CSS, and some CGI (PERL).

I edit everything with vi or vim, unless it involves the forums, which is all template based and editable on the admin webpage.

The other pages all have a PERL script that generates the menu at the top.

And HTML/CSS is used throughout the site.

a MySQL database holds all the data for the forums, white paper, picture gallery, and other interactive areas.

I dont like FrontPage, its way too bloated. It is good, though, if you don't want to ever actually look at the code, and if you like all the MS extras. (and know that your users can see all those little extras)

I used CoffeeCup HTML editor waaay back when I was learning HTML, but then got sick of it, and started using Notepad. Then, once all my sites were hosted on remote UNIX servers, I just started SSH'ing in, and editing on the server with Pico. Once I learned vi in college, I started using that as my main editor.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2002, 11:34 PM
Boom, Shawalala Boom!
#0862 (PCEP Lighting)

Trashed20 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trashed20
i used to use notepad to do my editing but i have switched to dreamweaver only because i can have all of my files open and accessable at once. I don't use any of dreamweavers tools, just as an overglorified notepad it helps alot though so i can remember what i changed and what i need to upload.

MySQL is the db and i use my own homemade user system, news system, links, and soon calendar and photos.

p.s. (If anyone knows an easy way to do a calendar thing in php help would be much appreciated. You would post an event and time which would be thrown into mysql and then i want a table calendar view. I know it can be done, im just really busy right now to try and figure it out.)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2002, 11:36 PM
AKA: Grant Harding
#0084 (WATTNESS (bot: Chuck))
Team Role: Alumni

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to evulish
vi all the way All my coding (HTML or Perl) is done in it.

Gimp for images. It's like Photoshop...but nicer. And cheaper. Like a lot cheaper. Free. Free is nice. I feel more at home with the Gimp than Photoshop. It does about the same things...except for some of the super-special-effects that nobody will ever use in Photoshop.

I despise WYSIWYG editors. *shudder* Anyone that can't write HTML shouldn't be making webpages It is, by far, the easiest language out there.

I run Apache 1.3.26 and use Perl 5.8.0 (recently upgraded from 5.6.1) (Hopefully I will be getting a server soon...then no more hosting a webpage on the stupid family PC...dedicated linux server! w00t!)

I think PHP4 is also a module in Apache. I started to learn PHP...but I gave up due to my love for Perl
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-21-2002, 11:43 PM
Boom, Shawalala Boom!
#0862 (PCEP Lighting)

Trashed20 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trashed20
Quote:
Originally posted by evulish

I think PHP4 is also a module in Apache. I started to learn PHP...but I gave up due to my love for Perl
PHP4 is a module in apache and also has a cgi executable which is crappy.
/me likes php cause its like c++ but a little better.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2002, 12:56 AM
A M X
AKA: Akshay Dodeja
no team
Team Role: College Student

activemx is a glorious beacon of lightactivemx is a glorious beacon of lightactivemx is a glorious beacon of lightactivemx is a glorious beacon of lightactivemx is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to activemx Send a message via Yahoo to activemx
Quote:

PHP4 is a module in apache and also has a cgi executable which is crappy.
/me likes php cause its like c++ but a little better.
php is a lot easier then c++... thats why i love it... you can do hecka lot of cool things.... btw mvrt backend is totally powered by php and mysql... if i already didnt mention that....
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2002, 09:55 AM

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Perl is sooo much cooler
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2002, 12:57 PM
do you..
no team

Joel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by evulish
Perl is sooo much cooler
The only thing I don't like about perl is that it wasn't _really_ made for web use. Because of that, it is really slow and resource intensive in most cases. Yes, Perl can do pretty much anything you want, but it takes a while.

Division By Zero (229) Alumni, 2003-2007
RAGE (173) Alumni, 1999-2003
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2002, 01:10 PM
OMG We're Back Again
AKA: Joe Troy Jr.
#0357 (Royal Assault)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
purplehaze357 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to purplehaze357 Send a message via Yahoo to purplehaze357
Photoshop and 3DS Max for graphics....and Dreamweaver for everything else

2004 Philadelphia Regional Referee
2005 Pittsburg Regional Referee
2005 Philadelphia Regional Referee

2003 Chesapeake Regional Chairmans Award Winners
2003 Chesapeake Regional "Delphi Driving Tormorrows Technology" Recipients

Aim: smallmanjoe98
Email: jtroy@temple.edu
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2002, 01:11 PM

Mmm...which is why I use it for much more than just webpages. And yeah...it is a bit slow in some areas...but it's still awesome
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2002, 01:38 PM
AKA: Jon Gambrell
no team

jon has a spectacular aura aboutjon has a spectacular aura aboutjon has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to jon
Sites with statements like "Site Best viewed in 1024x768. IE 5.5+ Compatible only!" are awful. Don't makes IE specific websites. No offense, Akshay, I just hate that.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2002, 01:48 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
netscape doesnt show any sites correctly. it's not my fualt that people use a browser that doesnt work.

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2002, 01:56 PM
AKA: Jon Gambrell
no team

jon has a spectacular aura aboutjon has a spectacular aura aboutjon has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to jon
Quote:
Originally posted by David Kelly
netscape doesnt show any sites correctly. it's not my fualt that people use a browser that doesnt work.
Grrrrr

It's not that Netscape doesn't display website correctly. It's just bad web design with no regard for standards that makes them not show correctly in Netscape. People are designing just for Internet Explorer's self imposed web standards, not the W3 standards, that's the problem. Besides, there are lots of other browsers besides IE and Netscape. You're all a bunch of dullards if you agree with David.

Last edited by jon : 09-22-2002 at 01:58 PM.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-22-2002, 02:07 PM
Ithaca is Gorges
AKA: John Wayne
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2001
Yan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud ofYan Wang has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Yan Wang Send a message via AIM to Yan Wang Send a message via MSN to Yan Wang Send a message via Yahoo to Yan Wang
www.team639.org is all made by hand... all php, perl, cgi, html use notepad... the hardcore way. images, obviously, are edited with photoshop. we're changing servers right now so the authentication process is messed up and under changes. as for those people who think netscape is messed up, you are wrong. I personally prefer IE, but NN is perfectly fine. you should always verify your code with w3c. it's not at all the browsers fault. as said before, you just have to follow standards. right now, as i'm writing this, i'm using Opera 6.04, which is so great at caching and so much faster and versatile than IE or NN that it just beats them all. it, however, picks up on almost every single detail of your code that's wrong so things may look a little weird I've also got mozilla running which is very nice since it's open source, but opera is awesome.

btw, i just validated this page of html... 103 errors. lots of them are small things that the browser doesn't mind. nearly no page is perfect, but should be viewed exactly the same in any browser.

Last edited by Yan Wang : 09-22-2002 at 02:15 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: