OCCRA
Go to Post to all of the people who are on robotics, I thank you for giving me the chance and happiness that i had never had before. robotics has been the happiest thing i have ever done in my life - gondorf [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2002, 03:38 PM
Tap it.
no team

MattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to MattK
Things to do with a old DreamCast

I heard you can do alot of Crazy Crap with your old dreamcast, including installing linux and playing VCD's. Anyone do anything cool?

my myspace!
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2002, 03:51 PM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock
Well since there was no built in protection from just playing "Imported" (hehe) games on it you could do that I guess!! No mod chip required - But that would be wrong!!!

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2002, 04:09 PM
#YoDawgSafetyFirst
FRC #4329 (Lutheran Roboteers)
Team Role: Coach

Ryan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond reputeRyan Dognaux has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Dognaux
I laugh at those who wasted money on Sega's attempt of a system. Shame Shame.
Team 4329 Mentor: Current
STL Off-Season Event: www.gatewayroboticschallenge.com
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2002, 04:12 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
I have heard of people using it to install OSX on it and using the keyboard to use it as a Mac.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2002, 04:15 PM
Tap it.
no team

MattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to beholdMattK is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
I have heard of people using it to install OSX on it and using the keyboard to use it as a Mac.

Wow, me being a "MAC GEEK" I am going to have to try that, although, the dreamcast ONLY has a 200mhz chip. Although OS X CAN run on 200mhz G3, thats a G3 not a "Intel-like" chip...... Will have to look further into this............

my myspace!
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2002, 05:14 PM
FTC #6565 (The Stuffed Dragons)
Team Role: Engineer

Rob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to beholdRob Colatutto is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by AnimeRaul234
I laugh at those who wasted money on Sega's attempt of a system. Shame Shame.
i'm going to have to GREATLY disagree with you, seeing as how the Dreamcast is still a superior system when compared to Xbox or to that sorry excuse for a system, PS2. Sega is by far the best developer, just look at all the arcade boards, you'll find the sega name on them. the problem was that sony had to become involved, and as you have see with microsoft comming in, sony did the same and bought up developers and wasted tons on money on advertising, to bring about the end of the sega line of consols, and almost get rid of nintendo too, from the spot they deserve with the console market. sony really needs to stop with thier horrible excuse for game systems, and go back to home audio electronics and tv's. but now if you look around at all the best looking games on any console, you'll find the sega name there. they are just working now, very closely with nintendo, and will soon topple sony together, then sega will release there new system, already being worked on

the dreamcast was also a very versitile system, as far as add ons go, you could put just about anything in that spot where the modem goes, and various addons such as a dvd decoder and the bleem for dreamcast were made for it, so i'd assume you could just throw anything in there, and it wouldn't even have to run off the power that slot pulls from the dc, just needs its own external power. and who could forget the fact that the dc came with its own version of ms windows ce

Last edited by Rob Colatutto : 09-23-2002 at 05:19 PM.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2002, 05:16 PM
Tap it.
no team

Just so you know, I got this Dreamcast for $50 and it came with 3 games.... the whole thing was new too!

my myspace!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2002, 05:38 PM
Go Badgers!
Team Role: Alumni

Jnadke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Jnadke Send a message via AIM to Jnadke Send a message via Yahoo to Jnadke
People have turned the dreamcast into their own webserver.

Basically: You can load Linux onto the dreamcast. Once you do that, you can do a whole host of things with it.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2002, 05:41 PM
Soudeska?

Chris Nowak is an unknown quantity at this point
does anyone know of any tutorials or other things which tell you how to load linux onto it? Turning this somewhat useless now piece of equipment into a nice little webserver would be so awesome.

Team 74 - Top Seeded Team in Galileo Division
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2002, 06:09 PM
Go Badgers!

Jnadke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Jnadke Send a message via AIM to Jnadke Send a message via Yahoo to Jnadke
A simple Google search yields:

http://www.fivemouse.com/dclinux.html
http://www.m17n.org/linux-sh/dreamcast/

It was on Slashdot a long, long while back. This is, providing that you have any expierience with Linux.

***EDIT***

The webserver was NetBSD.

http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/dreamcast/

Of course, you'll need the Sega Dreamcast broadband adapter. It would've been cheap had you bought it with the dreamcast, but finding one now is hard. You can look, I'm not sure how cheap they will be though.

Last edited by Jnadke : 09-23-2002 at 06:31 PM.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-23-2002, 10:40 PM
I used to be cool.
AKA: Dave the Knaive
#0222 (Tigertrons)

Rookie Year: 2000
Dave_222 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Dave_222 Send a message via AIM to Dave_222 Send a message via Yahoo to Dave_222
Quote:
Originally posted by Nataku

i'm going to have to GREATLY disagree with you, seeing as how the Dreamcast is still a superior system when compared to Xbox or to that sorry excuse for a system, PS2. Sega is by far the best developer, just look at all the arcade boards, you'll find the sega name on them. the problem was that sony had to become involved, and as you have see with microsoft comming in, sony did the same and bought up developers and wasted tons on money on advertising, to bring about the end of the sega line of consols, and almost get rid of nintendo too, from the spot they deserve with the console market. sony really needs to stop with thier horrible excuse for game systems, and go back to home audio electronics and tv's. but now if you look around at all the best looking games on any console, you'll find the sega name there. they are just working now, very closely with nintendo, and will soon topple sony together, then sega will release there new system, already being worked on

the dreamcast was also a very versitile system, as far as add ons go, you could put just about anything in that spot where the modem goes, and various addons such as a dvd decoder and the bleem for dreamcast were made for it, so i'd assume you could just throw anything in there, and it wouldn't even have to run off the power that slot pulls from the dc, just needs its own external power. and who could forget the fact that the dc came with its own version of ms windows ce
Ok fanboys it is time to take a step back, for all systems were created equal. I understand that loyalty is a big part of gaming but the truth of the matter is all systems have their pros and cons. Dreamcast or (the little console that could) as i like to call it was a well developed system that could pump out some nice polygons. however the slow and constant loading was a major minus, it detered most serious gamers from buying the system. The ps2 a sweet sysetem if i do say so myself is very adaptable and runs well and has high end graphics. the major drawback being you have to have a multi-tap and 2 systems to do any serious multi-play offline. X-box what can i say about the X- box not much because it is just to new for me to have propporly run it through the gauntlet that is my gaming experience. My early impressions of the macine are for the most part possitive. And at last we come to game cube, I cant say much except that i want one relly bad due to the fact that resident evil went exclusive to nintendo. I dont own one yet but this system has the power to run with the bigboys. There i have said my piece do what you will with it.

"Let me intorduce myself," the man said. "My name is Roosta, And this is my towel."
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2002, 02:05 PM
Git 'em!
no team (Robot in 3 Days)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Rudolph has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Rudolph
My friend has a dreamcast it is so awesome, all he has is Xmen vs Capcom and Daytona USA two awesome games that by themselves make up for the system. The Wait on the dream cast for loading is comparable to the waits that came with the Playstation.

FTC 5454 Dent in the Universe Mentor
FTC 6323 Pink Nurple Mentor
FRC 233 The Pink Team Mentor
FRC 1902 Exploding Bacon Mentor
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2002, 02:17 PM
AKA: Jon Gambrell
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
jon has a spectacular aura aboutjon has a spectacular aura aboutjon has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to jon
Quote:
Originally posted by Jnadke
People have turned the dreamcast into their own webserver.

Basically: You can load Linux onto the dreamcast. Once you do that, you can do a whole host of things with it.
HAHA! Nice pun. That's the most leet thing to do. DO IT! Yes I know.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Too young to be an 'old guy'
FRC #0155 (Technonuts)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 1999
Jeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Rodriguez has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Rodriguez Send a message via Skype™ to Jeff Rodriguez
any technical info on this would help me
college + time + dreamcast = fun

i've seen mod chips and stuff but i don't wann spend money
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-24-2002, 10:18 PM
\: |
no team

FotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond reputeFotoPlasma has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to FotoPlasma
Quote:
Originally posted by Ogre
any technical info on this would help me
college + time + dreamcast = fun

i've seen mod chips and stuff but i don't wann spend money
There's a great website with a whole lot of information on it...

www.google.com

2001-2004: Team 258, The Sea Dawgs
2005: Team 1693, The Robo Lobos

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: