OCCRA
Go to Post When a team is a team, anything is possible - Bharat Nain [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2002, 09:58 PM
do you..
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Joel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond reputeJoel J has a reputation beyond repute
Average score per match?

Here's a prediction for the average score in a game:

Alliance X - Winner
Robots in "end zone": 1
Goals in their "scoring zone": 2
Balls in their goal: 25
Total: 55

Alliance Y - Loser
Robots in "end zone": 1
Goals in their "scoring zone": 1
Balls in their goal: 20
Total: 40

Winner's final score: 120

Any other ideas?

Division By Zero (229) Alumni, 2003-2007
RAGE (173) Alumni, 1999-2003
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2002, 11:21 PM
Nice Guy
no team

Tom Fairchild will become famous soon enoughTom Fairchild will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Tom Fairchild
My team was debating this issue today too. If you get more than 65 points, you win no matter what. As for the average though, that seemed to be about the right situation. It would vary as to how well robots could scoop up balls off the field.

~Tom Fairchild~, who's hoping not to have to worry about it and just go for 66 each time.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2002, 11:22 PM
#0360 (Revolution 360)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2000
James Crivellone is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to James Crivellone Send a message via AIM to James Crivellone
yeah, everyone will be wanting to get the 66
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2002, 11:55 PM
#0840 (ART)

l1jmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to l1jmx
Is there anything aside from Gracious Professionalism that would prevent a team from, upon seeing themselves about to loose, moving their goals out of their zone in an attempt to minimize their score and keep the other team from benefitting. Granted, it hurts their score - but you get to drop 1 and it actually gives the team that they're facing less of a lead over them than if they were to score. 0 x 3 = 0
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2002, 12:31 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Is 170 total score possible?

Question:

Suppose you had 4 robots that could lay down and extend themselves to touch the floor in both zone #1 and #5.

Futher suppose that they all scored every ball the goals and that they push every goal in to either zone #2 or #4 and then every robot lays down and touches the floor in both zones #1 & #5.

Am I right in saying that the total score would be 170 points?

80 total points for the robots (40 for each team).
30 total points for the goals (split however they happen to be located)
60 total points for the balls (again, split between the teams based on location).

170 points in all.

Not likely I agree, but theoretically possible. Or am I mistaken?

What do you think?

Joe J.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2002, 12:38 AM
#0840 (ART)

l1jmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to l1jmx
I love it
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2002, 01:00 AM
None #0131

Rookie Year: 1999
Chris_C is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Chris_C
Minimizing Score

In response to l1jmx:

I havn't had a chance to read all of this year's rules in great detail yet, but judging from two years ago when we had a similar scoring system, emptying your goals in order to minimize the winning team's QPs would be perfectly allowable, if not Graciously Professional.

In fact, I would not be terribly surprised if we were to occasionally see that as a stratgey between two teams where team X, who is one of the top players, promises team Y that if team Y minimizes their opponent's score and takes a loss, thereby dropping their opponent's ranking and moving team X up, team X would pick team Y as an alliance for the elimination rounds. Err, that might have been a little confusing, but read it again and you'll get it.

Someone correct me if I am wrong here.

By the way, slick thinking there Joe, it would have taken me a while to think of that.

--Chris Casinghino
Team 131
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2002, 11:23 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)

Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Didn't happen much if at all last time

Let me say that 2 years ago, all this was brought up and much worried about (in fact, I was perhaps chief worrier!).

In the end, never saw any such cases. I only heard vague rumors of one or two other possible cases and the rumors had the results not working out so very nicely for the rumored conspirators.

So... I say, relax. It is all going to be just fine.

Worry about building a great functional robust robot and the rest will take care of itself.

Joe J.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2002, 08:00 PM
#0400 (Blue Dragons)

Matt Hadley is an unknown quantity at this point
Total Points ... 170 or 172?

If the rules permit you to assemble your robot from any parts in the kit, do they prevent you from including the #5 soccer ball there in? If not, what if all four robots included their kit ball? I guess the rule that prohibits you from purposely casting off part of your robot would factor in -- if no other rule did. Just a thought.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2002, 10:11 PM
#0007 (Team Firestorm)

Hubicki is an unknown quantity at this point
Response to Joe Johnson

I completely agree with Joe's last remark in that the number one priority should be designing a robust (and functional) robot, not worrying about exploiting technicalities in the rules. Every thing brought into the competition should be kept in the spirit of the game.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2002, 10:28 PM
Mentor, coach, whatever--
FRC #0233 ("The Pink Team")
Team Role: Mentor

Kit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kit Gerhart
Re: Is 170 total score possible?

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Johnson
Question:

Suppose you had 4 robots that could lay down and extend themselves to touch the floor in both zone #1 and #5.

Futher suppose that they all scored every ball the goals and that they push every goal in to either zone #2 or #4 and then every robot lays down and touches the floor in both zones #1 & #5.

Am I right in saying that the total score would be 170 points?

80 total points for the robots (40 for each team).
30 total points for the goals (split however they happen to be located)
60 total points for the balls (again, split between the teams based on location).

170 points in all.

Not likely I agree, but theoretically possible. Or am I mistaken?

What do you think?

Joe J.
A few of us were discussing that today, and figured that each robot could score 10 for each alliance if 'long' enough. It could be a good way of increasing a team's Q points. I don't expect to see much of it, though.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2002, 12:26 PM

kevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to all
174 total points!

Actually, based on Joe's post there's a total of 170 possible points according to the manual, providing each robot lays down in both robot scoring zones. However, Dean made a comment during the kick-off that any robot that does so would get an additional point. Therefore, there would be 174 possible points, and 88 would be necessary to guarantee victory.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2002, 12:37 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison
I think Dean was being facetious about that additional point, you know

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2002, 02:24 PM
#0021 (Boeing ComBBAT)

Mike S is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Mike S
Question

All of this imaginative theoretical scoring by Joe J. who is always thinking of total domination, has me confused greatly.

The rules as stated in "The Game" doc regarding scoring, including the extraordinary unclear Scoring Key in Fig 1.1 are not definitive. (What does a blank mean in the chart?)

I read the rules as "10 points for each robot in your robot zone. I assumed each team has a single robot zone (either 1 or 5) depending on whether they start in Red or Blue station. Thus this says (and so does the table I guess) that you get 10 points in your own zone, not 10 for being in the other robot zone.

Thus the max score I see would be 2 robots and 3 goals in scoring position and 60 balls for a total of 110!

What's my problem. Be nice!

PS - Just like Joe to be considering the elimination rounds right a way and how to totally dominate!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2002, 02:31 PM
no team

Bill Whitley is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Bill Whitley
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike S
I read the rules as "10 points for each robot in your robot zone.
So if all 4 robots are in your zone, it seems that you should get points for all 4 robots.

Based on the designation for being "in" a zone, it does not rule out being "in" multiple zones at the same time, so it stands to reason that your robot could score points for being in multiple zones, for a maximum possible score of 170.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: