Go to Post The best legacy of this little machine is the inspiration she provided to a whole generation of future explorers who witnessed the unveiling of a planet through the eyes of a robot. - dlavery [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Pneumatics
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2002, 09:59 PM
#0811 (A.R.C.)

bigqueue will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to bigqueue Send a message via Yahoo to bigqueue
Pneumatics pump allowed on robot?

I'm again sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have not gotten to the KIT PARTS PDF of the manual, and itr might be answered there.....

But my question is: Is the electric air pump allowed on the robot? The rules sort of state that all Pneumatics power must come from the storage tanks pumped up only by the supplied air pump...but that doesn't mean it can be mounted on the robot. (I'm an electrical guy, but those tanks sure look SMALL....so I am guessing that the pump can be on the robot. )(And I thought I saw that a relay module may power no more that one motor or pump)

-Quentin

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2002, 10:09 PM
A Legacy of Impact
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
David Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond reputeDavid Kelly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to David Kelly Send a message via Yahoo to David Kelly
yep it can

2010 Boilermaker Regional

Chairman's Award, Regional Finalist
2010 Kansas City Regional
Entrepreneurship Award

2010 Championships
Autodesk Inventor Award Winner
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2002, 10:16 PM
None #0031

Rookie Year: 2000
asher will become famous soon enough
yes it can, and be careful, it will burn you, i promise, i can show you the scars
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2002, 01:28 AM
The big guy
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Justin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Justin Stiltner Send a message via AIM to Justin Stiltner Send a message via MSN to Justin Stiltner Send a message via Yahoo to Justin Stiltner
Not only can it burn you.. but the seals inside will suffer from this heat as well. We experanced that last year and our compressor that overheated on us (was workin on the programming and the engineers decide to "just let it run.. itll be ok") after over heating it took forever and a day to get to 120psi....
KI4URQ
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2002, 07:24 AM
Engineer/Mentor
AKA: Scott3137
FRC #3137 (T-Birds)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Scott358 is just really niceScott358 is just really niceScott358 is just really niceScott358 is just really niceScott358 is just really nice
Compressor usage

Just a general comment regarding the compressor.

This compressor is designed for "intermitment use", which basically means it's a low cost unit.

Whenever designing with an intemitment use device, one of your design criteria should be to run it as little as possible while getting the performance you need. This will minimize overheating, and prolong the life.

In the case of the compressor, this means minimizing the consumption of air. One simple way of doing this is to minimze the cylinder bore and stroke to only what you need. This design challenge will not only reduce the comsumption, but in the industrial arena, will save money.

As a side note, also in the industrial world, the cost of running a compressor can be quit high, so minimizing air consumption can save a lot of money over time.

Hope that info helps.

Regards,
Scott358
Festo Corp
Corporate Sponser of Hauppauge High
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2002, 11:30 AM
Behold the Awesomeness!
AKA: Dan Richards
#0550 (BattleTech)
Team Role: College Student

Dan 550 is on a distinguished road
Just let it run?

How did you get an always-on pump past the inspectors? When we were getting checked, that was the first thing they pointed out that we had to fix.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: