OCCRA
Go to Post We all need to remember to be careful at these competitions. Danger lies in the most unexpected (and comical) places. - Alexander McGee [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2002, 04:25 PM
AKA: Grant Harding
#0084 (WATTNESS (bot: Chuck))
Team Role: Alumni

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to evulish
Ancient lappy for scouting

So I had this neat idea and wasn't totally sure where to post it...but I guess it falls under this category. I believe my team has gained a few old laptops (486, 16mb ram). We have been needing a simpler way to do scouting and these laptops came to mind. My idea was to put a webserver on it, a small window manager (for linux...of course), along with a mySQL database. The only problem is that I'm not sure if that old machine can handle all that. I've never run any sort of database software nor ever even thought about programming for one. Anyone know what kind of machine I would want to do that?

(All you people with your fancy new Vaio laptops just for display purposes...sheesh...Until this year, our robot programming has been done on a computer using a proc made my IBM and it's oler than me))

My basic plan was to create a web interface like a search engine then be able to type in or select what I want to limit. IE: check a box that says Tether and box that says 2 goals then search and print all the results. Much easier than flipping through every page in a notebook and trying to find pictures on 40 different digital cameras.
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2002, 06:22 PM
Boom, Shawalala Boom!
#0862 (PCEP Lighting)

Trashed20 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trashed20
well, just throwing data into a mysql db is very simple and doesn't load the system at all. If you wanted to do complex queries and sorting, that could lag a little. I can't find minimum requirements for mySQL on their site but it shoudl be pretty low. If you were going to install apache w/ php i don't think its very hard on the processor. I run an apache server on my 400 mhz celeron with 256 ram, and it runs fine, which could be the extra ram. my only advice is to try it out and see what happens. also, an online version of this that all teams could access would be wonderfull. the only problem would be to get everyone to update their team info. do you think first would send out an email informing all of the teams of a site like this?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2002, 09:52 PM
rbayer's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Blood, Sweat, and Code
no team (Teamless Orphan)

Rookie Year: 2001
rbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to rbayer
Honestly, you'd be better off with a commercial database program. From what you've described, even the old ClarisWorks 4.0 (anybody remember that?). Are you trying to do this in a distributed manner, such that multiple people with multiple laptops could all be accessing and updating the same database? If so, I'd recomend dumping MySQL and the webserver on some "server" in your pit area and just having regular browsers on the laptop.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2002, 10:09 PM
Your Attention Please
FRC #0006 (CogSquad)

AJ Quick has a spectacular aura aboutAJ Quick has a spectacular aura about
mySQL and other database programs may be too intense memory wise with only 16mb. What specifically are you planning on doing? It may be fine with simple querys, and manipulation, but if you want something that keeps updating itself every few seconds with new data, it may not be able to keep up.

Place your attention entirely on my voice and try to ignore all the others. It is important to be able to focus on a single source of information while blocking out all the other things competing for your attention.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2002, 10:23 PM

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
I don't think it will be anything to complex... Basically, whenever someone from the team wants to find something out about a team or stuff about robots...they'd go to a website on that computer and search for something like 'robots with tether 2 goal grabbers and balls' then it would query the mySQL server

Code:
mysql> SELECT * FROM robots WHERE tether = "T" AND goals = "2" AND balls = "T";
Then just reply with the results of the find.

I happen to like the idea of bringing a a desktop or something to act as the server...but I'd be wanting wireless access and I kinda doubt that the laptop will accept 802.11b cards

I shall be looking into the lappy specs and see if I can't up the memory to at LEAST 32mb (which I figure would do the job....) Do laptops need special memory? I've never worked with them before...
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2002, 10:24 PM

Anyone willing to donate a laptop to a good cause?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2002, 10:48 PM
no team

MacZealot is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MacZealot
nope, but between now and february I'm hoping on getting an ibook, sorting out all of the usb problems, and etc, so that when all is ready I'll have the best programming box around

AIM: Joe7464685192 | Email Me! Visit my site!

Uh I'm STILL not in Las vegas GRRRR!! I dun think it'll happen till june and This shoulda happened a freaking year ago
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2002, 11:36 PM
Blood, Sweat, and Code

rbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of light
evulish,
if you're only accessing the data off one machine, MySQL/PHP is overkill. ALL decent stand-alone database programs will let you do the type of search you are talking about and display the results in any form you like.

As for special RAM, you need special small-outline RAM. With the age you are talking about, though, I honestly don't know what the specifics would be.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2002, 06:55 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 1995
Ashley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by evulish
Basically, whenever someone from the team wants to find something out about a team or stuff about robots...
.. basically me .....

........ give evulish ideas.... help him find out the craziness of the unknown AGED laptop!!!!!

/ma wants sanity!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2002, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rbayer
evulish,
if you're only accessing the data off one machine, MySQL/PHP is overkill. ALL decent stand-alone database programs will let you do the type of search you are talking about and display the results in any form you like.

As for special RAM, you need special small-outline RAM. With the age you are talking about, though, I honestly don't know what the specifics would be.
What are some other database programs? I have never looked into any of this stuff and I don't know what's good, bad, or indifferent...

As for you weedie...nothing will ever make you sane
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2002, 03:10 PM
Your Attention Please
FRC #0006 (CogSquad)

AJ Quick has a spectacular aura aboutAJ Quick has a spectacular aura about
Has anyone ever approached a big computer company, or retail store for some free laptops for some of their travel members? I think it would be cool to see if they are interested.

Place your attention entirely on my voice and try to ignore all the others. It is important to be able to focus on a single source of information while blocking out all the other things competing for your attention.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2002, 10:44 PM

Okay. I got the laptop tonight. It's an IBM Thinkpad 701C with a 80486 75mhz proc and 20mb ram. It's a pretty decent laptop. I got it with a docking station (mouse, kb, video, parallel, serial...) and an external floppy drive. There's no battery yet but I'm not exactly wanting to walk around with it. It's pretty cool...it has a butterfly keyboard.

Right now, I'm working on getting the hard drive backed up which seems to be a bit of a problem. I have no way of transfering files other than via floppy disk. 211mb of data by way of floptical is not fun. I'm scouring friends' computer parts in hopes of finding a parallel zip drive. I JUST WANT WIN95 GONE(&#$

After that, I should be able to install Slack 7.0. I read it doesn't play well with new kernels (and what would the advantage be of installing the newest stuff? Yeah...USB support is really an issue) Once I get linux installed, I'll be installing database software, Apache, and Netscape. It's gonna be sweet. Gotta do a bit of programming for it, though. I'll also have to learn someone how to maintain it (AFAIK..I'm the only linux user on my team...but I'm in the process of converting)

I should be getting a memory upgrade soon. 64mb ram *drool*
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-06-2002, 11:53 PM
Blood, Sweat, and Code

Umm.... how exactly do you plan on fitting Slack 7 along with Apache, MySQL and X Windows on 211MB?

As for moving the data, just take out the hard-drive and plug it in to a desktop, assuming it is ATA and not some old, proprietary stuff.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2002, 02:29 PM
"Old" and Cranky. Get off my lawn!
AKA: Dark Ages
FRC #0263 (Sachem Aftershock)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Matt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Krass has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Krass Send a message via Skype™ to Matt Krass
Hmm, with that littel bit of space, slack 7.0 is overkill. As a personal linux user, I spent many hours jamming things on my alppy, up until it's unfitful end. I recommend zipslack, it is small compact and easy to tweak to run of ext2 or 3 or something else like reiserfs. You can pick out the little bits you don't need, get apache on there and some other stuff. X is out of the question though, plus with zipslack it is almost impossible I found, dependencies and such. So get zipslack and tweak it. I ran apache on it but haven't tried my sql, also, it ran off a 105mb ext2 parttion and 32 mb swap partion
how much more would the mysql need?

Matt Krass

I'm a FIRST relic of sorts, I remember when we used PBASIC and we got CH Flightsticks in the KoP. In my day we didn't have motorized carts, we pushed our robots uphill, both ways! (Houston 2003!)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-07-2002, 02:40 PM

Well, I really do need X on there. I won't be running a window manager, just netscape. (I doubt the scouting people would much care for command line).

And...the hard drive is a 700mb hard drive. Only 211 of it is used.

Also, laptop hard drives are a bit different than normal hard drives. It won't fit into a PC without a special adapter. I really don't feel like putting money into a worthless laptop
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: