OCCRA
Go to Post Sometimes i wish the robot could fit into my pocket. - GMAdan [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2002, 08:55 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC Key Volunteer Trainer
AKA: CrazyNate
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Nate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Nate Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Nate Smith
Q&A Watcher Available for Download

To help increase usage of the new Q&A forum, I have written a small program which will pop up and notify you whenever there is a new post in that forum. The current version is believed to be stable, however, due to the limited wide scale testing done thus far, this version is still considered a beta. If you are interested in trying it out, it is available for download from http://www.first-codex.net/software/. Note that this program is currently available only for the Windows operating system, and a minimum of Windows 98 is required, due to the use of the .NET framework in developing the application. If you have not already downloaded .NET(MS lists it as a Critical Update), you can do so from http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Feel free to suggest new features for the upcoming versions...
returning for 2011? only time will tell...
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2002, 09:06 AM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Make a java applet we can log into that warns us of new things. That'll help us with iBooks from the county that are locked.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2002, 09:19 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

Nate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to beholdNate Smith is a splendid one to behold
I used to have a Flash "movie" that talked to a server-side script which watched FIRST's site for updates...I might be able to make something like this up again...as for Java, I'm a little out of practice on that...if someone else wants to take the Java version on, let me know...
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2002, 09:20 AM
Reject False Icons
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Nate Smith
I used to have a Flash "movie" that talked to a server-side script which watched FIRST's site for updates...I might be able to make something like this up again...as for Java, I'm a little out of practice on that...if someone else wants to take the Java version on, let me know...
Flash is good too
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2002, 09:34 AM
rbayer's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Blood, Sweat, and Code
no team (Teamless Orphan)

rbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to rbayer
Very cool. Any possibility of open-source? If you let me know how you did the actual query for new threads, I can probably make a little Java port, or possibly a Linux version if you are interested.

--Rob
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2002, 12:15 PM
'The' drive behind the drive
None #0226 (TEC CReW Hammerheads)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Matt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond repute
Nate,

How does it work, or what should we expect to see when an update happens? Also will it go through the Company proxy server? It is already set up to go through for Web and Email but I don't know about .NET

Thanks, Matt
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2002, 12:19 PM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
Its all based of an XML file downloaded from chiefdelphi.com

Tonight I will be detailing what data is available, and how to query it.

Quote:
Originally posted by rbayer
Very cool. Any possibility of open-source? If you let me know how you did the actual query for new threads, I can probably make a little Java port, or possibly a Linux version if you are interested.

--Rob
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2002, 12:22 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Reiland
Nate,

How does it work, or what should we expect to see when an update happens? Also will it go through the Company proxy server? It is already set up to go through for Web and Email but I don't know about .NET

Thanks, Matt
I don't see a reason you would have any problems with it...it basically acts as a web browser, connecting to the server here and pulling down an XML file that lists all threads with activity since you last actually visited the site.

If there's one or more listings in the XML, you will get a small popup appearing in the bottom right corner of your screen, as well as hearing the distinctive FIRST start match "charge" sound. The connection should look to the proxy server the same as your web browser...not having tried it myself though, I'd be interested to know how it works out...
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2002, 12:29 PM
'The' drive behind the drive
None #0226 (TEC CReW Hammerheads)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Matt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Reiland has a reputation beyond repute
Nate, each time my computer boots I get the following, any thoughts? Also it was eating up 91% of the CPU power.?

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: The remote name could not be resolved.
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.CheckFinalStatus()
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncRes ult asyncResult)
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetNonFileStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials)
at System.Xml.XmlDownloadManager.GetStream(Uri uri, ICredentials credentials)
at System.Xml.XmlUrlResolver.GetEntity(Uri absoluteUri, String role, Type ofObjectToReturn)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.CreateScanner()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Init()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at QANotify.frmConfigure.tmrCheckXML_Tick(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr idEvent, IntPtr dwTime)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 1.0.3300.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.3705.288
CodeBase: file:///c:/winnt/microsoft.net/framework/v1.0.3705/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
QANotify
Assembly Version: 1.0.1080.17629
Win32 Version: 1.0.1080.17629
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Q%26A%20Notify%20Setup/QANotify.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 7.0.3300.0
Win32 Version: 7.00.9502
CodeBase: file:///c:/winnt/assembly/gac/microsoft.visualbasic/7.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/microsoft.visualbasic.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///c:/winnt/assembly/gac/system.windows.forms/1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.windows.forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///c:/winnt/assembly/gac/system/1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///c:/winnt/assembly/gac/system.drawing/1.0.3300.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/system.drawing.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///c:/winnt/assembly/gac/system.xml/1.0.3300.0__b77a5c561934e089/system.xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just in time (JIT) debugging, the config file for this
application or machine (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the machine
rather than being handled by this dialog.

Last edited by Matt Reiland : 12-16-2002 at 12:56 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2002, 01:08 PM
rbayer's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Blood, Sweat, and Code
no team (Teamless Orphan)

rbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to rbayer
It seems to take control of my processor too, pegging it at 100% usage whenever the app is running. Quitting it makes the system drop down to its normal 10-20%. It doesn't seem to affect other programs, I asssume because of a very low thread priority, so it's not that big of a deal, but definately something to look at.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2002, 01:20 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
no team

Matt, in your case, it appears that the program does not like being behind your proxy server. If you remove the program from the Startup group, it will stop trying to load at boot. Looking over the error, it appears that it is unable to determine the IP address for the hostname. I may look into providing the program with the IP address of the server, rather than the hostname.

I am looking into the CPU usage issue...I normally run distributed.net on my computer, so it was taking the spare CPU cycles rather than the QANotify process. I do know that it takes a rather large amount of CPU cycles during update checks, but that is because of the overhead involved in processing the XML data. I'll see what I can come up with...

[EDIT]
I'm not sure about the CPU usage still, but it does only appear to eat up unused cycles. I can say that the app has passed a Norton 2003 antivirus scan, as well as running the same in the Development Environment as in a compiled version. I have a feeling that .NET is spawning a new thread for one of the functions I'm calling, and it's not terminating correctly. I'm not sure though...
[/EDIT]

Last edited by Nate Smith : 12-17-2002 at 07:45 AM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-19-2002, 10:12 AM
Brandon Martus's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
busy.
AKA: B. Slash Kamen
no team

Brandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Martus has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Brandon Martus Send a message via AIM to Brandon Martus Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Martus Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon Martus
Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon Martus
Tonight I will be detailing what data is available, and how to query it.
I made it -- but forgot to put a link to it anywhere. Oops.

Note the new 'extras' link that has replaced 'stats'. Thats where all the extra stuff will go that isn't visited on a regular basis. A link to the instructions & information about the XML file(s) is located on that page.

-Brandon

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: