Go to Post You are an inquisitive rookie aren't ya - Kyle [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2003, 09:15 PM
The big guy
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Justin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Justin Stiltner Send a message via AIM to Justin Stiltner Send a message via MSN to Justin Stiltner Send a message via Yahoo to Justin Stiltner
Rule C1

Rule C1 states "... the operator interface, robot controller, servos....and JOYSTICKS may not be tampered with, modified or adjusting in any way," there are a few exceptions after it, but no mention of joysticks in anyway but after the exceptions is this "Tampering includes drilling, cutting, machining, gluing, rewiring, etc. All items listed in Rule c1 must be mounted without alteration." Well from a strict purist interpretation this means we cannot even adjust the trims on the sticks. However what really concerns me is the fact that we cannot rewire the joysticks, or add buttons or switches to them which for my team has become common practice. also this would lead one to believe that we arnt allowed to build custom control systems. umm.. is somebody seeing something im not.. or do I need to fwd this to FIRST.
KI4URQ
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2003, 09:17 PM
El Jefe de 148
AKA: Midwest Refugee
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2001
Jeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond reputeJeff Waegelin has a reputation beyond repute
I would say that this means you cannot alter the CH Flightsticks that come in the kit. You can still make custom controls, but you can't alter the given components. Any custom controls would have to be purchased or made from components (i.e. pots, switches, etc.)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2003, 09:20 PM
rbayer's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Blood, Sweat, and Code
no team (Teamless Orphan)

rbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to rbayer
I'm going to agree here. By "modify" FIRST usually means with a drill or hacksaw. I'm sure you can build custom button-boxes, and I'm pretty sure you can still build Y-cables for the joysticks.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2003, 09:21 PM
The big guy
no team

Justin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud ofJustin Stiltner has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Justin Stiltner Send a message via AIM to Justin Stiltner Send a message via MSN to Justin Stiltner Send a message via Yahoo to Justin Stiltner
im noticeing alot of things like this in the manual this year...
it seems that this years rules lack the quality that I have come to expect from FIRST, its as if they were wretten in a rush and didnet think through some of the wording.
KI4URQ
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2003, 09:28 PM

Mr Obnoxious is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like the language used in previous years. I don't see the problem or the haste in them. Of course you can change the trims, and the rules cover custom components for the operator interface and the robot controller in other sections.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2003, 09:31 PM
The big guy
no team

Well the trim part was just there to kinda illustrate that their wording was very broad. As veterans we know little things like this, but from a totally rookie standpoint was where I was trying to view this from, because the majority of my team (26 students and 25 of them are rookies) are rookies.
KI4URQ
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2003, 09:38 PM
#0180 (S.P.A.M.)

Noelle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Noelle
Unhappy

ummmm C1?? where are the C's? maybe i dont have the right thing but the manuel i have is 17 pages and has no C's that i can see? what pg is it?
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-04-2003, 09:40 PM
I bent my wookie...
AKA: Bryan Duggan
#0027 (Team Rush)
Team Role: College Student

Bduggan04 will become famous soon enoughBduggan04 will become famous soon enough
Go here
http://www2.usfirst.org/2003comp/The_Robot.pdf

This is the robot rules.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2003, 09:14 PM
rbayer's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Blood, Sweat, and Code
no team (Teamless Orphan)

rbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to rbayer
See my post my post here for info on why this is nothing new.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2003, 09:59 PM
Robotics and Field Hockey
AKA: Jesse C. Owens
#0159 (Alpine Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Skabana159 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Skabana159
Our team has become quite accostomed to opening up the joystick and "tampering" with it. We have done things like rewiring the switches so that they could be used externally. We have also epoxied the trim knobs in a place we like, because of the programming problems this creates. This gluing and rewiring, I'm afraid, falls under the "gluing and rewiring" clauses in C1. I just can't understand the purpose behind forbidding us to alter the very simple flightsticks, but allowing us to change potentially complex ones that we would buy from a store. Perhaps this rule should be reconsidered by FIRST.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: