Go to Post i just want to say how awesome the high volume tank is. The high volume tank is 7/4 as awesome as the previous tanks. - Tytus Gerrish [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Motors
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2003, 09:05 PM
FIRST Junkie
no team (UHS Wolfpack)
Team Role: Alumni

D. Gregory is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to D. Gregory Send a message via MSN to D. Gregory
Motor rpm and Torque

What is the rpm and torque for all of this year's motors. Thank you.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2003, 09:18 PM
I bent my wookie...
AKA: Bryan Duggan
#0027 (Team Rush)
Team Role: College Student

Bduggan04 will become famous soon enoughBduggan04 will become famous soon enough
You need to download and read "The Robot.pdf" off of the FRC Documents page. It isn't as good as last year, but the basic information is still there, under "Kit of Parts".
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Gary Dillard's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generator of Entropy
AKA: you know, the old bald guy
FRC #2973 (The Mad Rockers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Gary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Gary Dillard
I see it for the new Bosch and for the Fisher Price, but the others don't have any technical data.

Does anyone have the URL's for last year's appendix with the specs on the www2.usfirst.org site? they took the links off the main site. This has the specs for the other motors. I have a copy of the file at work but not at home. Now that i have broadband I'll download it here.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2003, 10:15 PM
Generator of Entropy

Gary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond repute
OK, I found a hard copy from 2000 - The motors don't look quite the same but similar enough. Since I haven't seen anybody else posting specs, here's what I've got and it will at least get you started until we see the right ones:

Window Motor (ITT Automotive): 20 Amps Stall Current, 6 Nm @ 41 RPM, 1.8 N.M @ 64 RPM

Van Door Motor (Tiagene): 75 RPM No Load Speed, Stall Torque 37 Nm Clockwise, 34 Nm Counter-Clockwise, Stall Current 40 Amps.

Globe Motor (with Drive Assembly), at 10 Vdc: No Load Speed 87 RPM, Stall Torque 150 In-Lb, Stall current 18.5 Amps, No Load Current .82 Amps.

Globe Motor (Motor Only), at 10 Vdc: No Load Speed 97RPM, Stall Torque 30 Oz-In, Stall current 18.5 Amps, No Load Current .82 Amps.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2003, 12:03 AM
La Caņada High School
FRC #2429
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Kevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Watson has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dillard
I see it for the new Bosch and for the Fisher Price, but the others don't have any technical data.

Does anyone have the URL's for last year's appendix with the specs on the www2.usfirst.org site? they took the links off the main site. This has the specs for the other motors. I have a copy of the file at work but not at home. Now that i have broadband I'll download it here.
Gary,

If you still need anything from last year, I just got done archiving it here: http://www.cvhsrobotics.org/resources.htm. You'll find the 2002 documentation toward the bottom of the page.

-Kevin
Google Advanced Technologies and Projects
http://kevin.org
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2003, 12:10 AM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
For motor specs from last year's motors and the van door motor, they may be found at www.team696.org/motorspecs.html There is also a link to download the Joe Johnson motor comparison spreadsheet.
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2003, 12:18 AM
Now an AIR Striker....
FRC #0078

Rookie Year: 1997
Tom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Schindler
Quote:
Originally posted by sanddrag
For motor specs from last year's motors and the van door motor, they may be found at www.team696.org/motorspecs.html There is also a link to download the Joe Johnson motor comparison spreadsheet.
PLEASE NOTE:

the drill motors ARE different this year - do not do calculations using the drill motors on these specs...

Tom
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2003, 07:18 AM
Generator of Entropy

Thanks for the links. Still, the motors look different than last year's, and the manufacturers are listed as different (Nippon-Denso vs Valco for the window and Bosch vs Taigene for the Van door), so as soon as someone gets the official specs please post. These should be adequate for now.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2003, 09:14 AM
#1447 (Panther Robotics)

JTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to JTH
Did anyone else notice a discrepency in the information on the new Bosch with gearbox?

On page 5, the robot manual describes the output of the bosch with gear box as 0-450 or 0-1500, but if you take the 19670 no load RPM with the ratios of 12.07:1 or 42.62:1, you get (approximiately) 461.5 or 1630 RPM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-06-2003, 09:36 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
Efficiencies

I believe their numbers, but that means that the efficiencies for these gearboxes are pretty darn good.

After doing some calculations, I get these efficiencies:

Gearbox in High: 92%
Gearbox in Low: 97.5%

The "old" gearboxes had these efficiencies:

Old Gearbox in High: 80%
Old Gearbox in Low: 70%

... so...

With a larger motor, more efficient gearboxes, and a bigger circuit breakers (40A compared to 30A), these drill motors may be close to double the power compared to last year's Bosch motor/gearbox combination. Holy torque, Batman!

Andy B.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2003, 07:32 PM
no team

GregT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GregT
This is important... to choose the right motors for the right jobs, and to figure out gearings and such we need to know motor specs. Preferably stall torque, free RPM, torque vs RPM curve.

Specifically the new drill motors vs "chalupa" (if thats how you spell it). Which has more torque, what are they RPM's? Which is better to use for drive train, what are the RPM-torque curves?

ACK

Greg
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-07-2003, 08:36 PM
Paul Copioli's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
#BuildBlitz #TeamCopioli
no team (TeamCopioli)

Rookie Year: 2000
Paul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond repute
Drill vs. Chiaphua

The Chiaphua is the same motor as last year with a different shaft. It was made specifically for FIRST and is the same model number with an "FR" in front of it. See the link below for the Chiaphua spreadsheet, but disregard the pinion information.

The new drill motor has more power than the Chiaphua (see some specs below), but both are very good candidates for a drive motor.

Bosch drill motor specs (@12V):

Stall Torque = 0.87 N-m
Stall Amps = 127
Free Speed = 19670 RPM

THe above is preliminary info, but I should be getting confirmation from Bosch tomorrow.

-Paul
Attached Files
File Type: zip chiaphua motor specs.zip (31.4 KB, 207 views)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2003, 04:02 PM
no team

GregT will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to GregT
If this is correct, the drill motors are still less powerful then the atwood "chaiupas" (i will never spell that correctly)? By my conversions, the chaiupas stall at about twice the torque as the new drill motors (though both at 100+ amps, ACK!).

Someone check me, stupid english/metric.

Greg
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Paul Copioli's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
#BuildBlitz #TeamCopioli
no team (TeamCopioli)

Rookie Year: 2000
Paul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond repute
Power, not torque

The Drill motors have much more power: .87 N*M/2 * 19670RPM/2 *2*PI/60 = 450 Watts

Chiaphua power = 500RPM/2 *2.2 N*m/2*2*PI/60 = 317 Watts

Hope this clears it up. In other words, if you gear the drill to the same output free speed of the Chiaphua, the drill will have more torque.

-Paul
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2003, 09:09 PM
#1067 (SLUH)

Frank(Aflak) is on a distinguished road
but the chiaphua is bigger! that means it MUST be better?!

heh, go small but powerful. If only we could replace out chiaphuas with more bosch drill motors.

Anyone want to trade (just kidding, i read the rules)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: