OCCRA
Go to Post I do this stuff because...well first inspired me to become me. I now understand who i am better and what i want to do. - Marygrace [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2003, 07:57 PM
AKA: Grant Harding
#0084 (WATTNESS (bot: Chuck))
Team Role: Alumni

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to evulish
The new location for Chuck's playing field.

That's right. We got an Ames store I don't know of how many people know of Ames...but for the people that don't: it is (was) a store like K-Mart or Walmart but a bit more crafty. Due to money (and the lack thereof)...they closed all their stores including the one in our local town. Somehow, one of our engineers said we would be able to use the empty store for our purposes. This means building a playing field. As of right now, we're building a cheap-o ramp and the lines are put down with duct-tape. Our players station are 6' clothes racks with some sort of shelf. It's a five minute drive from the school were we build the bot and the majority of people on our team drive (or own) trucks so transportation is no problem.

I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2003, 08:28 PM
College? What?
no team (Gompei and the Herd)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2002
Ian W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to allIan W. is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Ian W.
can i start hating you now?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2003, 08:38 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Yes you can...
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2003, 08:43 PM

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Yeah...sure...whatever. I'm too busy thinking about how we're going to fill the 42,000 sq. ft. we got for free.
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2003, 09:20 PM
#0295 (Space Cowboys)

Reed B. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Reed B.
So...are you renting the place or what?

"We come here today to mourn the passing of Bob...he was in the Peasant Company 2 days, before being crushed under a mech's foot. That makes him a veteran."
"Life is so simple when you are young! 6 weeks of building FIRST, a couple days of compettion, and 40 some weeks of bashing others!"-Norm M.
"I bet that guy's thinking, 'hey, how did I get hit?' With reflexes like those, he should expect it more often!"-MW4: Mercenaries
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2003, 09:24 PM

Nope. We aren't paying anything. We're just...there. We may get kicked out if it's sold, though But who would want to open up a store there? It's in a really bad location.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Missing In Action
#0247 ('da bears)

DanLevin247 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DanLevin247
So you are just using an abandoned store as your teams "squat?"

as for the 42,000 square feet, i can only thing of one thing

Episode of the simpsons:

Bart buys a facotry for one dollar at an auction he walks into.

Once inside his factory, he finds a rolling chair and a fire extinguisher

You do the math

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's all fun and games till someone gets hurt.....then it's hillarious!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2003, 10:03 PM
not on CD enough...
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
OneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by evulish
Yeah...sure...whatever. I'm too busy thinking about how we're going to fill the 42,000 sq. ft. we got for free.
hey- you've got motors, why not build motorized scooters or something and build some kind of racetrack.. that'd be lots of fun!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2003, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanLevin247
So you are just using an abandoned store as your teams "squat?"

as for the 42,000 square feet, i can only thing of one thing

Episode of the simpsons:

Bart buys a facotry for one dollar at an auction he walks into.

Once inside his factory, he finds a rolling chair and a fire extinguisher

You do the math
I remember that one. Although inside our Ames, we found a whole bunch of stuff. It smelled like moldy carpet (possibly due to the mold...on the carpet...no maintainence since September and it's been wet.) There are boxes and boxes of hangers (which we have been using for weights to hold down our mock-ups ) There are also shelves and racks. And, well, a security system that works (sorta...it beeps, but it doesn't call the cops).

_42_,000 feet. Is that a geeky coincidence or what?
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2003, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by OneAngryDaisy
hey- you've got motors, why not build motorized scooters or something and build some kind of racetrack.. that'd be lots of fun!
I was thinking 'LAN party' Industrial power and lots of empty space. Wee!
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2003, 10:11 PM
not on CD enough...
no team

OneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of lightOneAngryDaisy is a glorious beacon of light
If your ceilings were high enough, you could actually host a mini-competition there- that'd be the ideal place for one..
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Hook up last years bot to one of the big goals, teather it, and ride around on goal with the robot pulling you.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2003, 03:41 PM
None #0031

asher will become famous soon enough
we worked in an old grocery store just like your place last year, and had our robot stolen 2 weeks before ship. make sure you know every single stinking way in and out of the building, we thought we did...

asher
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2003, 05:56 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 1995
Ashley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond reputeAshley Weed has a reputation beyond repute
It is way cool place.... except for the bad part of town thing.... we shouldn't have to worry about the bot since we will not leave this years there.. only go there for testing and such....

I would really like to have an open house for teams that would want to come up and 'match up' before the ship day.. tis would be fun.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2003, 06:59 PM

We put anything that we left there that was worth anything out of view unless they enter the store. And if they enter it, the alarms goes off. It sounds like it calls the cops The only thing seen from the windows are old beat up racks. The most valueable thing left there was probably a caster wheel or maybe the ramp.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: