OCCRA
Go to Post I thought of this at least a couple of years ago, but I didn't post because I didn't want to give Dave any fiendish ideas. He has enough without our help. - ChrisH [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-19-2003, 05:11 PM

viper is on a distinguished road
6 awg wire how much amps?

how much amps can the 6 AWG wire handle? we went on the belken site and got lost..
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2003, 08:11 AM
FRC #1246 (Agincourt Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Lloyd Burns is an unknown quantity at this point
Might we say adequate for the 120 A circuit breaker, given that breakers will handle overcurrent for a while before opening ?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2003, 01:38 PM
D.J. Fluck

According to the data tables on http://www.rbeelectronics.com 6 AWG wire should be able to handle up to a little over 200 Amps. In fact I know it can handle 200 Amps from personal expierence. Unless your team builds a machine that has high current draw, you should have no problems with 6 AWG wire
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2003, 02:29 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute
viper,
The current rating on #6 wire is based on it's capabilities in free air and according to National Electrical Code it is capable of 105 Amps continuous for THHN type wire. Part of this spec is that the insulating jacket will not melt below 90 deg. C. However, this spec is based on continuous current over long period of time, not over the two minutes of match time we will encounter. What is more important to us is the resistance of the wire (length) used. A longer wire will drop more voltage at high currents so it is important to keep high current runs as short as possible. Don't forget that the total resistance is the sum of the positive wire, negative wire and all of the connection points. All things being equal, the 120 amp circuit breaker should adequately protect the #6 wire in our application.
www.wildstang.org

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: