OCCRA
Go to Post Continue? You mean we can quit? Why didn't someone say so! - tsaksa [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2002, 09:50 AM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Pact of Secrecy (Stop Telling US!)

Stop telling us your stratiges or giving out stratiges! This takes the fun out of finding out what other robots do! We can say, oooh, that was cool or oooh, that's what that does. So here is the Pact of Secrecy, so if you don't wan't to give away anything about your robot, post here and sign the Pact of Secrecy.

Pact of Secrecy: Members 1 (update every day or so...)
Joseph
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2002, 05:49 PM
None #0419 (Rambots)

Rookie Year: 1999
Anton Abaya has a spectacular aura aboutAnton Abaya has a spectacular aura aboutAnton Abaya has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to Anton Abaya Send a message via AIM to Anton Abaya
what if my secret is to pick up balls (oops, gave that one away!)

d'oh!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2002, 06:25 PM
FIRST Lifer
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Tyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tyler Olds Send a message via Yahoo to Tyler Olds
Angry What the heck?!?!?!?!?!

Dont you dare even say that!! Stop sharing info! Do you n eed your bearings set straight man????? The point of first is not the competition, It's learning! We can do this by sharing knowladge with each other, not being idiots and pigheaded saying no I do not want to share with you cause I just want to win and that is all FIRST means to me. Maybe you should considering being in BattleBots if all you care about is winning
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2002, 07:43 PM
None #0419 (Rambots)

Rookie Year: 1999
Anton Abaya has a spectacular aura aboutAnton Abaya has a spectacular aura aboutAnton Abaya has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to Anton Abaya Send a message via AIM to Anton Abaya
i'm confuzzled.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2002, 11:16 PM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute
Don't like reading about other teams strategys?

Cope, and don't read threads dealing with such things.

Seems simple to me, but hey... The way I see it, people have been sharing their plans on how to win any sort of competition since the first early human decided to see how much further he could throw his mammoth bones then his brother. If it really caused so much trouble, we wouldn't still be doing it.

Or maybe we're all just dilluting our selfs, but in anycase, it is fun.

-Andy A.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2002, 01:29 AM
Stew da Baker
AKA: AKA: Steppie86
no team

Stephanie has a spectacular aura aboutStephanie has a spectacular aura aboutStephanie has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Stephanie
or, uhm, why not just skip the threads that have any mention of plans or stradegy in their names. there are people who find this info useful for scouting, etc. but i would think that if someone didn't like reading about it, they would just stop, instead of making everyone else stop doing smth they found to be beneficial.

shrug
just my $.02
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2002, 04:17 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
I know that I should just skip the ones that deal with other peopel's stratige, but sometimes it can sneek up on you in the most innocent threads. As for the "anti-FIRST" message, my thing is this. I don't like it when people share because you don't LEARN from your mistakes. If someone last year said "were going to ballance the goals on the bridge without the robot on top", then everyone would do it! We learned from last year about ideas and to think out of the box (so much so that we began to think inside). This would have never happened if everyone was giving away stragities. If everyone says that they will deal with balls, then everyone else will to! Sure, there are rookie teams that need advice, but that should be on a one-to-one basis with vetran teams. Or via e-mail.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2002, 05:49 PM
#0506 (Steel Friars)

Joseph F is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Joseph F
Quote:
If someone last year said "were going to ballance the goals on the bridge without the robot on top", then everyone would do it!
I dont think that this is the case. You have to remember that not everyone is capable of doing the same things. Some teams don't have nearly as percise equipment, sufficient knowledge of the parts/program, a way of testing to make sure it works, or a million other reasons that they can't... even if they decide they want to. My team looked at that last year and decided that probably alot of teams would do that and since we were partenered with 4 other teams at least one of em would most likely be capable. So we ignored that aspect and played the game from another angle. There are also teams that don't read this board, and ones that ignore most of the stuff they do read. This years game has so few objectives that most robots will have similar capabilities, regardless of if we pass on our ideas or not anyway.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-12-2002, 10:24 PM
#0498 (R.P.M)

Skanker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Skanker
Are you afraid of a little competition? I mean, If you want to keep secrets, that's just great. If you have something up your sleeve, then don't tell us about it. What's great about posting ideas is that it raises the level of competition. Some robots will be better able to deal with some strategies.

The key is ipmlementing your strategy in a WHOLE NEW WAY. Sure, anybody can come up with a grabber arm, but what about one that can hold a ball and a goal (I don't know the advantage of this... but it's an example anyway) at the same time? DIFFERENT!

We are raising the level of competition!

Keep in mind, you can keep your idea secret. Most of us are not neccesarily revealing the entire strategy of our robots, or how they are designed, or what features we have etc. we are discussing possible strategies, and FEEL FREE to come up with something that's totally out of the box, and bay all means DON'T TELL US!

So relax a little bit. Take advantage of some of our support. we are trying to help each other.

-Sean Rice
skanker@skateboard.com
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2002, 05:45 AM
#0668 (The Apes of Wrath)

turbidum is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to turbidum Send a message via Yahoo to turbidum
How can you say that?

Look, if you want to go around shooting yourself in the foot, be my guest. But, the rest of us here want to be able to discuss strategies or whatever we want. If you think that learning from your mistakes is a valuable lesson, go ahead and do it. But, I think that in a competition where you spend 6 intensive weeks of designing, building, and practicing, you shouldn't be looking forward to learning from your mistakes.

Look, I'm not saying that winning is everything, the most important thing. But, if you have a robot that does nothing that other teams want in their alliance and you have a flawed game strategy, how can you be having fun? There was team last year at our regionals whose robot died half-way across the field every time. How can you say that is fun? Or, there was our robot who could pick up the small balls, but one at a time. Had we paid more attention to these forums, we might have learned something and we wouldn't have spent the competition somewhat annoyed at ourselves. Yes, we did have fun, but I'm sure we would have had more fun had we SHARED ideas and DISCUSSED the game with other teams.

So, if you feel that strategy sharing is wrong, go ahead and stop looking. But, I believe that even when you share strategies and robot design, you still get a great mix of robots out there. In reality, not a single robot will be the same as another, so you shouldn't be worried about sharing as a bad thing.

P.S. LEARN TO SPELL "STRATEGY"! I HAVE SEEN IT STRATAGY, STRATIGY, AND STRADEGY! PLEASE LEARN TO SPELL THIS WORD! LOL

"Lucretius could not credit centaurs/ Such bicycle he deemed asynchronous" — William Empson
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2002, 08:50 AM
Reject False Icons
no team

My goal was to write a thread on people like me who don't like giving away secrets. I find that people have more fun when they don't know what Team ***'s robot doest till the competition. What's the fun of knowing who won Survivor before the season ends? You know who wins and who dosne't. If there is one robot with a kick-but thing on it and then every one knows about it, it woun't be fun to see it work.

Hey, this is my opinion and mine only. As you said, if you don't like the ideas being said, don't read the thread.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2002, 11:34 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute
Last year I'd heard rumors about the Beatty robot before I saw it work... didn't make it any less cool to view...
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2002, 10:53 PM
#0498 (R.P.M)

Skanker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to Skanker
hey, you don't KNOW who's gonna win based on their plans... just like in Survivor, you don't neccessarily know that the marine is gonna win, or the quiet one, or the player, or whatever; Despite differences or distinct advantages in design (or personality), you don't know who's gonna win. It all depends on how the game is played, and maybe a little bit of luck.

maybe the cardboard robot that has an awesome driver will win. Maybe the Ford super-robot with the unexperienced driver will win. Maybe some all around mediocre team will win by a fluke.

Knowing something about your opponents does not mean that you will win. It just gives you an advantage to know what you may be up against (or teamed up with).

Now, if you want to cripple yourself (and your potential allies), then go ahead and take your oath of secrecy.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2002, 06:06 PM
no team

Luke H. is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Misleading

I doubt someone would/is doing this but maybe somebody is just trying to scare the newbe teamates by telling them how great their robot and strategy is just to throw them a red herring. The total stragey is dependent on what your partner and your oppenents can do and no one can figure out a strategy for every single situation so why bother the new teams with more problems? Even if they new some of the other teams strategies are they really going to change their robot accordingly? Just wondering.

-Luke Hunter

P.S. Our robot can fly and our drivers can read your minds, just to let you know.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2002, 06:34 PM
Dr.Bot

Here's my 2 cents. To win you have to score more points then the other guys. To win every time you have to score 1/2 + 1 of all possible points. Now
no one can have a perfect robot that can pick up
3 goals get them in scoring position. get all 60
balls in the 3 goals. can then get all 4 robots in their zone. (I think that adds up to 130) In reality you can expect to get the 10 balls your opponents hold and a robot that could pick up 50 balls and score them is not likely. A terrific near perfect ball scorer willl be able to do 30 balls max ( assuming) some opposition. I perfect
goal keeper could move and hold 2 goals. So in reality I think at max performance of a super goal and a super ball robot teamed together could score
50 points. - If they have two dead opponents they probably would want to give them a goal and some balls to increase their QP. Now you're not always
going have a good ally - If you have a dead ally
consider them parked for ten. To win by yourself,
you have to out score 2 robots that already have 10
points more then you. I figure you have to core about 25 points by your self to get the win.
25 points is 2 goals and 5 balls, or 1 goal and 15 balls.

I am afraid the scoring spread of this contest is going to be really tight - a lot of 30 to 29 scores.

That's all I am going to say about strategy. I ain't gonna tell you our tactics!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: