OCCRA
Go to Post Anyone else think we're (including me) a little obsessed? The seasons over and were already onto the next one. - Bjenks548 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Pneumatics
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2003, 04:05 PM

mjt902 is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you stop a pneumatic pump at half shaft

Pneumatics are strong so our team wants to use them in a certain mechanism. I need to know if there is anyway to stop the shaft halfway or not (for a secret reason). Anyway, I've tried putting two valves on each side but that doesn't work at all. So I am asking people smarter than myself (anyone), can you stop a pneumatic at half shaft without just cutting the shaft (cuz that would be cheap)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2003, 04:07 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison
Search

Search.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...threadid=16464

Wow. 10 topics down in this forum.

(Oh, and by the way - if you were to cut a piston rod, you'd have a paperweight in cylinder's clothing. Think about it.)

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2003, 04:13 PM
Imaginary Friend
AKA: Kevin Li
FRC #0596 (SciClones)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2001
kevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant futurekevin.li.rit has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to kevin.li.rit
No there is no way to do that, you should order pistons that have the length that you require.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2003, 04:23 PM

mjt902 is an unknown quantity at this point
thanx for the thread. although the method they use is a little far-fetched and probably not worth it for our teams needs.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2003, 05:07 PM
Umm Errr...
None #1139 (Chamblee Gear Grinders)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Rickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant futureRickertsen2 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Rickertsen2 Send a message via Yahoo to Rickertsen2
use a limit switch to sense when the cylinder is half extended and then close the valve.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2003, 06:22 PM
None #0263

PyroPhin is on a distinguished road
the method for hooking up the solenoids is actually quite easy, i can make you a graphic showing the hook up if you want.

~Pyro
Alumni, guy who comes back and fixes Krass's mistakes
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2003, 06:26 PM
FRC #0555 (Montclair Robotics)

Adam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Adam Shapiro
There is one way to control the pressure released electronically but it is a bit costly. I don't know the part number for the device but I'll find out for you. We were looking into it a few weeks ago but never went to far since we don't have much money and didn't really require it. I forget what it is called.. I'll post the info tomorrow if I can find it.
Co-Captain Team 555 - 2003,2004,2005
Trust, Love, and Magic
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2003, 01:14 AM
Slightly Rehabilitated
AKA: Larry Wang
#0840 (Aragon Robotics Team)

srjjs will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to srjjs
What about oscillating between on and off positions every 27 milliseconds when at the desired length? Done through programming, of course.

RIP Andrew Dang
3/22/2004
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2003, 03:23 PM

Adam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud ofAdam Shapiro has much to be proud of
That's possible (sort of like PWM) but it would be putting a lot of strain on the relays to switch that fast as well as the solenoids. I wouldn't recommend it. They weren't built to handle switching like that.

I'm having trouble finding the record of that electronically controlled valve, sorry...
Trust, Love, and Magic
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2003, 03:40 PM
rbayer's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Blood, Sweat, and Code
no team (Teamless Orphan)

rbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of lightrbayer is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to rbayer
Quote:
Originally posted by Adam Shapiro

I'm having trouble finding the record of that electronically controlled valve, sorry...
It's also probably illegal based on the strictness of FIRST's no-pneumatics-that-didn't-come-in-the-kit rule. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe we are allowed to buy anything (except suction cups) that deal with the pneumatics.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2003, 04:09 PM

Actually, I think you're right. I forgot about that rule...
Trust, Love, and Magic
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2003, 06:28 PM

sevisehda is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to sevisehda
I doubt you could do it by pulsing the circuit, you'd be able to control the amount of air in the cylinder. If the load were to increase or decrease then the cylinder would expand or contract. If you really need to stop a cylinder mid length you could put a servo-lock on it. Similar to what some teams use to release spring loaded mechinisms.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-01-2003, 07:44 PM
I bent my wookie...
AKA: Bryan Duggan
#0027 (Team Rush)
Team Role: College Student

Bduggan04 will become famous soon enoughBduggan04 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Rickertsen2
use a limit switch to sense when the cylinder is half extended and then close the valve.
I can tell you're a rookie team because they don't realize how long of a delay there can be with limit switches. By the time the brain signals the valve to cut off the air, the cylinder is most likely already fully extended. You could use a flow control to slow down the air. However, you would have considerably less force because the cylinder wouldn't be fully pressurized. Your best bet is a servo limit or an additional cylinder.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2003, 07:20 PM
no team

_-GoMeZ-_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Try this solution...

Couple a piece of threaded rod parallel with the rod of the cylinder attached to the same component as the rod end, but free on the other (cylinder) end. You can then make a stroke limiter that can either stop the cylinder at a fixed ( albeit adjustable by using a nut and a jam nut on the threaded rod ) stroke, or by using a gate mechanism actuated by one of the small servos you could turn the stroke limiter (gate) on to stop it at one distance or off to allow full stroke operation of the cylinder. Adding more "gates " would give you the possibility of having a few stroke lengths. Hope this helps you out , or at least opens another door for you.

Good luck
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-05-2003, 09:31 PM
#1232 (Rams Robotics)

KyleGreen is an unknown quantity at this point
Short answer is yes.

Depending on what you're using it for, this is possible, but it requires the use of the single solenoid valve upstream of the double solenoid valve. The Input into the single solenoid must be set on one of it's outputs (the other output MUST be plugged), and the output to the double solenoid comes out of the first valve's input. Next you must plug the release output of the single solenoid so that your piston stays in one spot. With all this rigged up, you can use the single solenoid to stop the flow of air to the double solenoid at any time, and with the press of a button, you can stop your piston wherever you want, no matter what direction it is doing.

This is only useful if you have a single solenoid valve sitting around gathering dust and you also have a Spike relay to use. Also, I don't believe the piston stays where it is once power is taken away.

E-mail me if you want some clearer directions, and once I get ours working totally, I'll know a little better (our problems are to do with the wiring of it, not the actual air flow).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: