OCCRA
Go to Post If all you've seen of an event is the three days of the competition, you've missed 99% of the work that made it happen. - Madison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2002, 08:27 PM
#0334 (Tech Knights)

techknights is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to techknights Send a message via AIM to techknights Send a message via Yahoo to techknights
Angry this year is going to suck

i don't mean to sound pessmistic,

but i'm under the impression that everyone will take the easy way out and build a box with wheels and possible some grabbing device

most of the points are in the goals and robots. there is also an easy 20 in balls (if ur robot can push goals). there are no big design challanges ... the scoring system is complex and twisted [check my site for a simulation program]

correct me if i am wrong [<-- happens a lot]
216.254.95.136:27910 q2

Last edited by Brandon Martus : 01-18-2002 at 11:58 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2002, 08:51 PM
Big O
#0122 (Nasa Knights)

srawls is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to srawls
I disagree

I must disagree. At first, I thought the game was too simple ... but then I remembered the 3x losers rule, and started to work out scenarios. Now, I figured out that if you want to be guranteed a win (this will be no surprise, you guys have no doubt figured this out too), you need to be able to handle goals and balls. There are many teams that will only do one, but will do it well. There will be some teams that can do both decently. And there will be a presious few teams that can do both very well. Also, you can't completely dominate the game, you have to help the other guy out if he isn't doing well. All in all, it's a game with many dimensions, that cannot be dismissed as being simple or *gasp* "sucking".

I hope that made sense,
Stephen
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-14-2002, 08:57 PM
#0192 (Gunn Robotics Team)

matt sorgenfrei will become famous soon enoughmatt sorgenfrei will become famous soon enough
i agree with srawls

This game should actually be quite a lot of fun, let's think about why:
2 v 2: Now we will be going head to head again, which means you can't build a "box with wheels" if you don't want to suck
3x the loser: You can't just crush the other team, this actually requires thought. That adds and interesting and challenging element to the game.
the game as a whole: if you want to build a robot that is really good, than it has to do a whole bunch of stuff AND be robust. If you think that is to easy or boring, than find a new passtime.
I think this game will be great, and I can't wait for competition.

Last edited by matt sorgenfrei : 01-14-2002 at 11:54 PM.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2002, 09:49 PM
#0212 (R.A.C.E (Robotics And Creative Engineering))

RoboGirll is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RoboGirll
I felt the same way of this year gonna suck, but nahh! I think its going to be kicking butt! Surely, everyone is getting tired of the balls, the floppies being unique, but this year is unique in its own way!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2002, 10:14 PM
I fix stuff.
AKA: βetamarc
FRC #2836 (Team βeta)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Marc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond reputeMarc P. has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Marc P.
At least the balls are a standardized size for a change... There's really not many ways to deform a soccer ball, compared to previous year's egg and pear shaped balls.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2002, 10:49 PM

DaringCommander is an unknown quantity at this point
NO

I think that this year will suck because in the finals it will be BATTLE BOTS (darn it)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2002, 11:33 AM
D.J. Fluck

2002 isnt going to stink

I dont think that this year is going to stink

I figured that we would have a strategy down quickly...but it took us a long time to figure out what posibilites for strategies there are......when you sit down and really think about it, there is so much that you can do...

Give it a chance...im sure you will like the game
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2002, 01:54 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Broadcast Eng/Chief Robot Inspector
AKA: Big Al WFFA 2005
FRC #0111 (WildStang)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Al Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond reputeAl Skierkiewicz has a reputation beyond repute
If I had a dollar for every person who thought "this years game is really awful", I would have amassed a fortune over the past few years. I have to give a lot of credit to the guys at FIRST. I am sure there is a lot that goes into this process. The kind of planning and cross checking can't be done over the weekend and a couple of drinks and pizza. Have fun it's going to be great.
Al
www.wildstang.org
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2002, 06:59 PM
#0311 (Red Jammers)

Kyle Hill is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Kyle Hill
Dude, trust me.

There's at least one team who is building something more than "a box with wheels".
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2002, 10:21 AM
Dr.Bot

Perhaps a very stong box with reactive armour and very nice wheels that can power a dragster one moment and a monster truck the next.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-18-2002, 06:06 PM
#0212 (R.A.C.E (Robotics And Creative Engineering))

RoboGirll is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RoboGirll
oh yeah, our robot surely isnt JUST a box with wheels... MUAHAHHAHA! our drive system is going to kick some butt!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2002, 04:36 PM

Colin Bohannan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Colin Bohannan
There is no way that this year is going to suck. The rules may look simple, but the 3x rule and the possibility of being in both goal zones at once changes the whole balance of the game. THINK about it next time you want to bash the game design.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2002, 10:29 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Bot
Perhaps a very stong box with reactive armour and very nice wheels that can power a dragster one moment and a monster truck the next.
Reactive armor?! As in it will explode outwards when a projectile is inbound?! And I thought Battlebots was bad...

Matt
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2002, 10:59 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
#0115 (MVRT Alumni)

Patrick Wang has a spectacular aura aboutPatrick Wang has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Patrick Wang
You need protection against those projectiles :P

It'll protect your robot from the first ball that comes at you

WRRF
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2002, 08:56 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
SharkBite is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to SharkBite
Anyone who thinks this year's game is going to be a dissapointment has just become blase with FIRST. This is probably one of the best games we have had yet. My team has a motto K.I.S.S. or Keep It Simple Stupid. There is no way that any head to head FIRST competition could ever lack the explosive energy that it has always had in the past. This year's game is classic and I expect to see some amazingly creative designs from teams who are trying to get an edge over the "box on wheels" teams. The thing im looking forward to the most is seeing how other teams get around the entanglement rule and try to extend thier robot across the feild.
The other great thing about this year's game is that it is simple enough for a rookie team to make somthing that can succeed. Trust me when you end up as thier alliance you will appreciate that they can actually compete. It isnt that easy for rookie teams to figure out how to life something up 8 feet, climb a puck or hang off of a bar. Pulling something and picking up soccer balls are a little more feasable. Basically, I'm thinking that there are going to be a lot less dead weight alliances this year and that's good news.

Becky

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: