Go to Post Let's not complain when we are getting magnificent items in the kit that teams just a few years ago could only wish for. - sanddrag [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2001, 11:18 AM
updates this status less than FB!
AKA: the one who "will break into your thoughts..."
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
Elgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond reputeElgin Clock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Elgin Clock
How many people are leaving you team this year?

I guess the actual question is how many seniors do you have on your team this year, and how will it affect the team as a whole when they leave? Obviously there will be a lot of sad goodbyes and happy congratulations when seniors go off to college, work or whatever they choose to do.

Also are there any teams with seniors of past years who have remained actively involved with the team somehow?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2001, 11:24 AM
cd addicted ninny
#0419 (rambots)

mike o'leary is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mike o'leary Send a message via AIM to mike o'leary Send a message via Yahoo to mike o'leary
our team lost everyone who was older then a junior (other then our facutly advisor): 1 senior and all our college students (we had no engineers to begin with)

***ninny pride***
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2001, 12:19 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
We're loosing one high school student this year who interestingly enough, had been waiting for most of her time in high school for their to be a robotics team at Edison Tech again so she could be on it. Cool story if you ask me. We're also loosing one college student to graduation. She's supposedly going to try and start a team where she's working but she may end up being back.

Matt
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2001, 01:48 PM
Always be shipping.
no team

Rookie Year: 1999
Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How many people are leaving you team this year?

Quote:
Originally posted by Elgin Clock
I guess the actual question is how many seniors do you have on your team this year, and how will it affect the team as a whole when they leave? Obviously there will be a lot of sad goodbyes and happy congratulations when seniors go off to college, work or whatever they choose to do.

Also are there any teams with seniors of past years who have remained actively involved with the team somehow?
...And then theres the random people aged 20-something who we pick up & just never leave the team ::cough::Elgin::cough::
Advisor, NE FIRST

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2001, 02:59 PM

Karl is on a distinguished road
Five of our 2001-season members are now high school graduates. Among them were some of our team's best student drivers, operators, machinists, software engineers, and draftspeople. Not to mention they were mostly pretty cool people.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2001, 03:40 PM
Mr. Swanson

Wink

Next year will be our hardest as our driver, operator and club president will be graduating. This year we lost our human player and one senior who was more involved in 2000. We will be training new drivers and coercing someone else to be the prez.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2001, 06:29 PM
Half the JVN,All theTaste
no team
Team Role: College Student

Pamela has a spectacular aura aboutPamela has a spectacular aura aboutPamela has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Pamela
Seniors :(

Ahhhh!!!!! Not only are we losing half our team (over half actually) to graduation this year, we're losing our two engineers and our sponsors! Sad Sad Sad . Our team is going to have to build up from the ground yet agian, next year..... Of course our bad year comes when I'm finally captain after my two year training as junior captain....
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-14-2001, 09:34 PM
AKA: Angela (Hall) Leese
FRC #3455 (Carpe Robotum)

A. Leese has a spectacular aura aboutA. Leese has a spectacular aura about
My team is losing our "calming forces" in Gautam and Elizabeth next year. G worked mainly as our all around "I can do it guy.." and Liz was our Data Queen. We're also losing three or four people who were new members this year...but I'm very sure that they'll all be missed.

~Angela who has a few of those 20-somethings who never seem to leave on her team
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2001, 01:36 AM
FRC #0368 (Kika Mana)
Team Role: Leadership

Anne Lam is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Panicking to fill positions

Our six seniors are going away and some of them are going to colleges in the mainland, and among them are our team captains, drivers, machanics, and the webmaster. Depending on if we can recruit members with the skills to fill those positions, sadly we may not have a team next year since there are only about 5 people returning for next year, maybe. The people in our school are not big on robotics stuff. The seniors' departure affects our team in a very big way, and we miss them already!

P.S. I am up for adoption if any team wants me. j/k

Last edited by Anne Lam : 06-15-2001 at 02:22 AM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2001, 07:34 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)

Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese
Re: Panicking to fill positions

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne Lam
Our six seniors are going away and some of them are going to colleges in the mainland, and among them are our team captains, drivers, machanics, and the webmaster. Depending on if we can recruit members with the skills to fill those positions, sadly we may not have a team next year since there are only about 5 people returning for next year, maybe. The people in our school are not big on robotics stuff. The seniors' departure affects our team in a very big way, and we miss them already!

P.S. I am up for adoption if any team wants me. j/k
Ha ha. We're stealing Elaine from you.

But more seriously, every year I was on team 7, everyone said that the next year there would never be enough people to be on the team because of the graduations. And you know what? We always ended up with about the same number of people every year. Lack of student support never seemed to be a problem because those who had been there in past years were willing to step up the challenge of making sure the team succeeded and rookie members were able to fill in where they were needed. So don't worry about it too much and just dedicate yourself enough to make up for the people you lost.

Matt
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2001, 09:31 AM
#0497 (Orange Crush)

Andrew Dahl is an unknown quantity at this point
we are losing two of our seniors-
they were the driving force of our pnumatic arm-
Shawn west and Josh moats (both of whom I belive are going to school to becom ME or PE)

good luck and thanks for the last two years

dahl
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-15-2001, 08:56 PM
FRC #0368 (Kika Mana)
Team Role: Leadership

Anne Lam is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Re: Panicking to fill positions

"Ha ha. We're stealing Elaine from you. " -Matt Leese

Fine take Elaine away! She was hogging all the work anyway!*crying like a baby in the background, cos Anne doesn't want Elaine to leave *
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2001, 03:04 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Anne, 330 will adopt you and any one else on your team

back on topic,

I was a student for 3 years and then a mentor on the same team for the last 2. Now, I'm getting ready to leave my team to transfer to RIT.

This year we only have 1 senior, though he was the leader. In the past though we've always seemed to lose the 2-3 most important students, but always seemed to rebound. Since our team is only 12-15 students losing the 3 most important ones is quite a bit.

My take is that if you have good adult leadership, losing seniors isn't going to matter. I've never been on a completely student run team, but I would imagine that losing their leaders would be much more devastating.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-16-2001, 06:58 PM
cd addicted ninny
#0419 (rambots)

mike o'leary is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to mike o'leary Send a message via AIM to mike o'leary Send a message via Yahoo to mike o'leary
Quote:
I've never been on a completely student run team, but I would imagine that losing their leaders would be much more devastating.
we were an essentially student run team this year (other then high school students there was our facutly advisor who showed up to like 2 meetings during the 6 week build period, anton, tom, riley, josh, diago, and igor)...other then that we had 1 senior...and the vast majority of the people on the team who went to every meeting and put their blood (only in a few cases...) sweat and all that stuff into the bot were juniors...
so next year most of the people who know what has to be done and stuff are seniors...oh yeah, and the 6 college students (i would say engineers, but theyre all cs and mis majors) have left the team

***ninny pride***
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 06-19-2001, 06:29 PM
The_C
no team

Carolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the roughCarolyn Duncan is a jewel in the rough
Unhappy

Well, three of five people are leaving the Jamestown team. The human player, and two student coaches. All three of us were the main forces behind the drive train and the wiring. Hopefully the two left, the drivers, will be able to get enough people to join the team. Talk is cheap, and the people at my old school, lol that seems wierd, talk a lot.
C~ya,
Carolyn

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: