OCCRA
Go to Post I, as a programmer, always strive to have the entire robot operate with as little driver input as possible. Those pesky humans.... - dellagd [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2003, 05:01 PM
FRC #0047 (Chief Delphi)

CD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond reputeCD47-Bot has a reputation beyond repute
Image Discuss: Truck Town's Completed Robot

#2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2003, 05:03 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Lets do this....
FRC #2848 (All-sparks)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
Greg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond reputeGreg Needel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Greg Needel Send a message via Skype™ to Greg Needel
that is one of the coolest devices I have seen....I didn;t even think of locking into the rail...not only do you block the ramp but the whole field.....I Hope those arms are strong...and can you get there in auto mode? and how fast can you get there?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2003, 05:38 PM
its spelled *ya'll*, not *y'all*
AKA: Roger Riquelme
FRC #3259 (Thoroughbots)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2001
RogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RogerR Send a message via MSN to RogerR
That 'bot makes me smile. I look forward to seeing you at nats. The only problem I could possibly see is that the metal poles touching the ground are, um, well, metal, and the rules state that "hard" materials cannot come in contact with the playing surface, but that should be easy enough to fix using some timing belt and some screws.

Good Luck, Roger
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2003, 05:45 PM
#1232 (Rams Robotics)

RamsRobotics is an unknown quantity at this point
This bot is amazing! let's just hope we never have to face you...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2003, 05:54 PM
Hoonigan
AKA: Alexander S. McGee
no team (no team)

Rookie Year: 1998
Alexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond reputeAlexander McGee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alexander McGee Send a message via Yahoo to Alexander McGee
Quote:
Originally posted by RogerR
The only problem I could possibly see is that the metal poles touching the ground are, um, well, metal, and the rules state that "hard" materials cannot come in contact with the playing surface, Good Luck, Roger
yeah, you cant see it from the pictures, but there is a nylon fitting in the bottom of all the "Legs"
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2003, 08:51 PM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Bold statement...

Truck Town has made a bold statement with this machine.

I hope you have build it "Like a Rock" because I imaging the beatings Beatty took last year will look like child's play next to full force knocks you can expect if you trap 2 unfriendly robots on the wrong side of the field.

I have a question for the general audience here. Notice that the limbo blockers are in a sense designed not just to block limboing but also to prevent other robots from spinning the Truck Town robot.

Does this run up against the complex rule of what you can and cannot design your robot to react against? I confess I don't have my rules handy but I think there was some prohition against using the limbo bar in certain ways, the specifics of which I don't recall.

Comments?

Joe J.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Now an AIR Striker....
FRC #0078

Rookie Year: 1997
Tom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond reputeTom Schindler has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Schindler
after thinking about Joe's comments, and taking another look at the picture..... how high is it to the bottom of the wings you guys have? It seems like some limbo bots may be able to scoot right under you in this position.....

Tom
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2003, 08:58 PM
Go Badgers!
Team Role: Alumni

Jnadke is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Jnadke Send a message via AIM to Jnadke Send a message via Yahoo to Jnadke
Man, that robot looks awefully like last year's bot, with a few modifications :-D

Anyways, I'm almost certain that mechanism would be used to push against the limbo bar, which is illegal this year. Even if a team has to push the blocker into the barrier, T3 would still be at fault. It looks like the limbo-blocker touches the ground, which violates the metal-to-carpet contact rule. They'll eventually get DQ'ed sooner or later.

A lot of rule violations with this robot. BAAAAAD design concept IMO.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2003, 09:00 PM
Go TechnoKats!
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats Robotics Team)

Austin is a name known to allAustin is a name known to allAustin is a name known to allAustin is a name known to allAustin is a name known to allAustin is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to Austin
Awesome Robot, it should work great as long as:
It follows the rules
The arms don't get broken
It gets to the top of the ramp and perfectly
aligned in auto mode

Good luck,
Austin

Need a gearbox? Omniwheels? Check out AndyMark.biz
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-20-2003, 09:03 PM
no team (NEW Apple Corps)

Katie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond reputeKatie Reynolds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Katie Reynolds Send a message via Yahoo to Katie Reynolds
T3 already clarified in another thread that there is a nylon fitting on the bottom of the 'limbo-blocker', so no metal is touching the ground. I'm not sure about the contact with the limbo-bar rule, though ....

Overall, awesome concept! I hope everything goes well for you! Between your robot, and 179 ... yikes! I hope we can withstand the competition!

- Katie
Team #93 - NEW Apple Corps
Student - 2001-2004
Team #857 - Superior Roboworks
Mentor - 2006-2009
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2003, 07:24 PM
Totally Sweet... Man
FRC #0177 (Bobcat Robotics)

David Bridge will become famous soon enoughDavid Bridge will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to David Bridge
Those arms are awful long, a robot running into either side of truck town could generate a lot of stress on the end of the arm pushing against the bar. Should be interesting to see in action.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2003, 07:33 PM
Robohyo
AKA: nelson green; robohyo
None #1108 (Panther Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

ngreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant futurengreen has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to ngreen
nice. great concept. hope you guys can pull it off.

2007 GKC KCP&BE Award
2006 Wisc Chairman's Award & Website
2005 Purdue Chairman's Award & Galileo Finalist
2004 LSR Chairman's Award & Xerox Creativity
2003 LSR Champ,Quality & Team Spirit + Nat All-Star
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2003, 07:41 PM
#0824 (SWAT Robotics)

IVIaxor is an unknown quantity at this point
Unless there is some thing that is not visible in the picture it looks like you do not have a method to adjust your position laterally. So if you are not exactly centered on the ramp, or you get knocked off center it looks like that would create space to fit a robot by on one side or the other.

swatrobotics.org
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Carpe diem
FRC #0125 (Nu-Trons)

Rookie Year: 1999
MikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond reputeMikeDubreuil has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to MikeDubreuil
I myself think that Truck Town took a bold stance into thinking they may have found a loop hole in the rules. I hope FIRST takes their own bold stance as well- Truck Town is in clear violation of the FIRST rules and must change their design, or face disqualification via DQ1 ("DQ1 An alliance may not gain points by breaking a rule, even accidentally.")

Rules Violations:

GM28 - "Attach themselves to the railings/walls of any field structure."
I believe the wings do attach themselves to the railing.

GM31 - "The outer field barriers are safety features of the playing field and robots should not be designed to react against them. Reacting is grabbing or using the top of the field borders,
the top of the driver stations, the top of the pipes at midfield, and the top of the platform/ramp polycarbonate sides with the intent of supporting a robot or robot part."
The wings on truck town are meant to react against the side of the midfield barrier. I italicized side, because the rule states "top". This is the only gray issue.

You may think this post is a little harsh. In some ways it is, there is a clear infraction of GM28 and possibly even GM31. My concern is if FIRST allows teams to cross into the gray area to much we will have the majority of the teams in the gray zone. My team decided against a design that would interact with the playing field, because we play by the rules. Often we must use our judgment when we enter the gray zone, FIRST likes to call it gracious professionalism. The bottom line is that FIRST will make the final call if this robot is legal. I just hope they make the right call because there will be a lot of pissed of teams who threw away designs just to see the rules allowed to be broken by one courageous team.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-24-2003, 01:47 AM
AKA: Garver
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
Mark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to beholdMark Garver is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Mark Garver
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeDubreuil
I myself think that Truck Town took a bold stance into thinking they may have found a loop hole in the rules. I hope FIRST takes their own bold stance as well- Truck Town is in clear violation of the FIRST rules and must change their design, or face disqualification via DQ1 ("DQ1 An alliance may not gain points by breaking a rule, even accidentally.")

Rules Violations:

GM28 - "Attach themselves to the railings/walls of any field structure."
I believe the wings do attach themselves to the railing.

GM31 - "The outer field barriers are safety features of the playing field and robots should not be designed to react against them. Reacting is grabbing or using the top of the field borders,
the top of the driver stations, the top of the pipes at midfield, and the top of the platform/ramp polycarbonate sides with the intent of supporting a robot or robot part."
The wings on truck town are meant to react against the side of the midfield barrier. I italicized side, because the rule states "top". This is the only gray issue.

You may think this post is a little harsh. In some ways it is, there is a clear infraction of GM28 and possibly even GM31. My concern is if FIRST allows teams to cross into the gray area to much we will have the majority of the teams in the gray zone. My team decided against a design that would interact with the playing field, because we play by the rules. Often we must use our judgment when we enter the gray zone, FIRST likes to call it gracious professionalism. The bottom line is that FIRST will make the final call if this robot is legal. I just hope they make the right call because there will be a lot of pissed of teams who threw away designs just to see the rules allowed to be broken by one courageous team.
You were right, alittle harsh, but glad to hear your take on things. As you stated FIRST will have to make a ruling on this, however I feel that it will have to be done each match, since you have not fully see what the arms are for. I am not sure if it was in your post or an earlier one, but someone mentioned they were to prevent us from spinning, which is incorrect. The amount of traction that we will gain on the top surface should be enough. I hope that you can make it to one of our competitions so that you can see the robot in action.

Again thank you for the comments, they will not go overlooked.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: